RushRebel

Next to Tamiya, what other models do you have fond memories of?

Just curious what non-Tamiya brands/kits you guys have fond memories of building and running? Over the years I've built Kyosho, Associated, Traxxas, McCallister Racing, and Bolink kits. Of the lot, I found Kyosho's to be nearest to the the enjoyable Tamiya build experience.

My first Kyosho kit was the Big Boss, which was a joy to build and run. In fact, aside from the cheap plastic dog bones, it was probably one of my favorite off-roaders, and I would place it in my top three behind the Clod and Super Blackfoot. I've always had an eye for Mauri, but non of the hobby shops around sold them. The Hirobo Alien was definitely one of the coolest looking cars in the magazines.

As far as Traxxas, I built a TRX-1 and Stampede (when they still sold kits) and both were very tough and capable. The reason I don't rank them is because both kits were missing parts which is inexcusable. Also the Stampede transmission case didn't fit together well and let all kinds of nasty stuff in if you didn't wrap tape along the seam.

Now that Kyosho has entered the Rere game, do any of you think they'll bring back one of the Big Brute chassis variations?

Back when I had my Nissan King cab a friend bought a Losi Jnr from the States (we lived in New Zealand) I was in awe of it, it seemed so technically advanced. I could never have afforded one back then, But recently I have picked up a JRX 2. I'm Super excited for it to arrive so I can run it in some vintage races :)

• Like 1

My home made 6x6 truck. Driving it round the garden with the log trailer so that my son (When he was only 2yrs old) could pick up round firewood blocks and stack on the truck and the trailer. :)

I also remember having a lot of fun with my original Ultima, and an Ultima Pro.

• Like 1

I had the advertisement announcing the release of the first HPI RS4 in my desk drawer at work. I would be on conference calls just staring at the picture of that chassis. I couldn't wait to get one. I was spending a small fortune on foam tires for my pan car and knew those rubber tires would be better suited for running out in the street in front of my home. I bought one almost as soon as they came out and that started my love of touring cars

• Like 1

The various Mugens I've had in the past. For nitro kits they are very easy to put together with Tamiya-like instructions and virtually bomb-proof quality.. And to be honest, anything that can stand being thrown together at the last minute and survive a full days racing the next day gets the thumbs up from me!

• Like 1

Nothing cars related just some 70s Toys for the shelves.

- original dinky #358 Enterprise and #357 Klingon Battle Cruiser (the ones that shoot discs)

- several Space 1999 Eagles

- Starwars Xwing fighter with pilot (with vibrating motor and light simulating the lasers)

• Like 1

Believe it or not it was all about the Tandy cars for me! I loooooooved my yellow 4x4 Off Roader so much with it's hi and low gears!

I then discovered Tamiya and that was it ;)

• Like 2

I've actually got two of these (one converted to hobby electronics)

I've actually got two of these (one converted to hobby electronics)

I've always been tempted to do that! I've also been considering painting up a Blackfoot shell in this style and getting some custom decals made. Talking about it again has reinvigorated the idea lol.

• Like 1

Back when I had my Nissan King cab a friend bought a Losi Jnr from the States (we lived in New Zealand) I was in awe of it, it seemed so technically advanced. I could never have afforded one back then, But recently I have picked up a JRX 2. I'm Super excited for it to arrive so I can run it in some vintage races :)

I hope the King Cab gets a rere, it always looked like a fun truck. I remember when a wealthy friend (one of the kids who got literally everything he asked for) got a JRX 2. I was in awe of it's 5-link rear suspension. He never raced it, only used as a basher, but it was lightyears ahead of my little Kyosho Raider.

• Like 1

Believe it or not it was all about the Tandy cars for me! I loooooooved my yellow 4x4 Off Roader so much with it's hi and low gears!

A kid down the street had the blue version of that Tandy 4x4. For the time, and with no hobby shops around or any idea that there was such a thing as hobby grade R/C's, it was one of the coolest things I'd ever seen. It reminded me of the Bigfoot SST truck I got a few years earlier, only an R/C version, so I begged my parents for one. My first full-function (back, forth, right, left) R/C was the Sears Lobo Truck. It used a 7.2v rechargeable battery and could run for about 35-40 minutes per charge and ate mud for breakfast!

I've always been tempted to do that! I've also been considering painting up a Blackfoot shell in this style and getting some custom decals made. Talking about it again has reinvigorated the idea lol.

Nooo, keep them original ;)

It's ok, there are enough to go around for both purposes. But fyi, a NIB 4x4 Off Roader (Mk1) can fetch as much as a NIB original Grasshopper.

Totally agree about Tandy, and have written far too much about this over the years (with far too much more to come).

• Like 1

Nothing cars related just some 70s Toys for the shelves.

- original dinky #358 Enterprise and #357 Klingon Battle Cruiser (the ones that shoot discs)

- several Space 1999 Eagles

- Starwars Xwing fighter with pilot (with vibrating motor and light simulating the lasers)

You're gonna hate hearing this but about 18 years ago I let a Blue Snaggletooth in F/VF condition go for about $15. I was more into collecting the "modern" Star Wars figures, and didn't give another thought to getting rid of a rare vintage one. I eventually gave ALL the MOC 90's SW figures to the kids in my neighborhood just to free up space in the house.

There also used to a hobby shop in the nearby mall that displayed built kits, including Tamiya. They also had done built Cox kits, including the Bandito. I remember all of the lexan bodies were still unpainted but decayed in most cases.

I thought ithe Bandido was really cool but we didn't have a lot of money. Even so, my mom could tell how much I wanted it and was prepared to buy it for me. I just couldn't do it knowing I'd have to face my siblings with this expensive toy and they got nothing.

Fast forward 25 years and I was able to get a good one with the box and everything. It's not the most expensive car I own but it's one of my most 'valuable'

• Like 2

Tie%252520Fighter%2525201.jpeg

In the non-RC world I had this Tie Fighter with Darth Vader and the matching X wing with Luke.

The tie fighter's wings popped off when you clicked buttons on the struts so you could re-enact Vader spinning off into space.

100% pure awesome.

• Like 2

Tie%252520Fighter%2525201.jpeg

In the non-RC world I had this Tie Fighter with Darth Vader and the matching X wing with Luke. 100% pure awesome.

Nice, still need to source one of those, to chase Luke

• Like 1

Being a kid of the 70's evel knievel had so much fun with it. Used to take to the top of the garden and try and I do mine try and get it to race down the steps. . lol Would like one even now

mr fog

• Like 1