markbt73

Fox restoration thread

This one is gonna take a while.

DSCF1937.JPG

I got this Fox from ebay for $59 plus shipping. I've been wanting a Fox for a while now, and having just worked a trade deal for some NIP parts (thanks Beef), I set off in search of a parts donor for the rest. And this is what I found.

DSCF1938.JPG

DSCF1939.JPG

It's not as bad as it looks, actually. Or maybe it's worse. I don't know. Anyway, it's what I have to work with, and I'm letting the available parts dictate the plan.

This is going to be a mildly modified period-ish runner, similar to my Blackfoot. A few upgrades (it already has a front stabilizer and a JG Kydex front bumper and battery tray/nerf wings), basic running gear (probably just a 540 and a vintage-ish ESC), and just enjoy running it.

I've spent the morning going through the parts, inventorying what's missing or needs replacing, and it's actually not much.

Gearbox/rear end: Gears are in great shape, as are driveaxles. Someone robbed the rear hub bearings and replaced them with platic bushings, so I'll need bearings there. Some cracks in suspension arms, but replacements are on the way. (I have B,C,D,F, and R parts trees, along with a new chassis and shocks coming tomorrow.)

Front end: Servo saver is completely AWOL. But I've looked at the manual, and it appears I have two choices. I can either find a "rubber parts bag" that has the missing parts I'll need, or I can mount the servo further forward and use a Kimbrough servo saver. The jury is still out. Stabilizer bar is all intact and in good shape, but tweaked slightly. I'll need to straighten it. Front axles are badly worn; this car never had bearings in the front wheels. If they're too wobbly with new bearings, I'll source new axles.

Main chassis: solid, but with a couple extra holes cut in the lid. Probably use this one and keep the new as a spare.

Wheels/tires/body: All shot. Well, the front tires are serviceable, and the wheels aren't cracked, but the gold is entirely gone and most of the plating underneath is as well. It looks like somebody tried to strip them to make them white, and did a lousy job. Body is toast. Painted on both the inside and the outside, cracks everywhere, decals peeling (and some upside-down), one wing bolt torn through. I might use it for practice on removing paint, but I don't have much hope.

General: Hardware is largely wrong, bent, rusty, or has heads rounded out. I'm not even going to try piecing together hardware; I've used RC Screwz stainless-steel kits in the past, and they're excellent. I'll just order a set for this.

So the shopping list, for now:

-Tires

-Stainless steel screw kit

-Bearings

-Body

-Servo saver parts (?)

More later.

(Oh, PS: How do I remove those stupid C-clips holding the driveaxles in? And will they be reuseable, or must I find new ones?)

• Like 4

i just finished rebuild a vintage fox , I wasn't really a fan at first , ben kinda talked me into getting one but now im glad I did lol.

mine was in a lot better condition and only needed the rear guard and a switch cover , I had to spend a bit of time cleaning the rust off the front pivot balls and corrosion from the aluminium parts but now it looks great , I reused the body and wheels and tires so I guess I was quite lucky to pick her up for 150 aud.

I cant help with the c clips , I cheated and left the shafts in as I couldn't figure out how to remove without damaging something but good luck with it look forward to the end result :)

• Like 1

I've got loads of extra C clips if u guys need. Have packages still going out to both of you so will throw in a baggie of them each.

• Like 1

Nice find! I just paid about as much for just a front stabilizer bar. Seller said it is in 'as new' condition, so I hope he wasn't lying about that. I'll find out tomorrow, I guess :)

Mark,

Is that the Parma sway kit or the Tamiya one?

That's def the Tamiya one (the better of the two)!

I cant help with the c clips , I cheated and left the shafts in as I couldn't figure out how to remove without damaging something but good luck with it look forward to the end result :)

One way to remove C clips...

1. Put your left thumb fingernail beneath one "end" of the "C" to stop it rotating on the axle. If your thumb is too big, try a flathead screwdriver.

2. Simultaneously use another small flathead screwdriver under the other "end" of the "C", to push the C clip up a little. You only want to push it up a little and thus create just 1mm gap between the apex of the "C" and the axle.

3. Now put your small flathead screwdriver into that 1mm gap under the apex of the "C" to pry it off - but be ready for it to spring away! Best to do it in a clean space, or facing the C clip downward in a small ice cream container or box. Don't do it on carpet or you may never find the C clip again.

I did a few of them the other night, and only 1 got away from me. I had no clue where it ended up. It moved so fast, that even Space was a possibility.

The next day, my wife texted me and said she found this sitting in the middle of the pillow I had slept on that night, which was metres away from where it launched...

bi6VBqN.jpg

What were the chances it would land in such a visible spot + didn't disappear into (or under) the bed overnight... magnificent Tamiya precision once again ;)

Front end: Servo saver is completely AWOL. But I've looked at the manual, and it appears I have two choices. I can either find a "rubber parts bag" that has the missing parts I'll need, or I can mount the servo further forward and use a Kimbrough servo saver. The jury is still out. Stabilizer bar is all intact and in good shape, but tweaked slightly. I'll need to straighten it. Front axles are badly worn; this car never had bearings in the front wheels. If they're too wobbly with new bearings, I'll source new axles.

Hey Mark - I had a dig through my remaining Fox bits and I found almost everything u will need to go vintage with your servo saver with the exception of the metal extension ring thing. I thought I might have one but can't seem to find. If u want that stuff it's all yours. Will have another look for that bit too.

What were the chances it would land in such a visible spot + didn't disappear into (or under) the bed overnight... magnificent Tamiya precision once again ;)

It probably flew into your hair, and fell out onto the pillow as you slept.

I put the parts in a clear plastic bag then use needle nose pliers to push off the C ring to stop it flying away into the aether.

Be warned that the Nova Fox gearbox halves have similar changes as the re-issue Hot Shot. Instead of that tiny C clip, it uses a thicker E clip, and the recess where the output bearing pushes into the gearbox housing is deeper. You may have problems with your differential mesh if you mix the parts and don't shim up the diff.

At least the A, B, C, F and R, parts are interchangeable.

The original Fox rubber parts bag includes the aluminium ring and isn't impossible to find (you also need the D1 connector part, but someone with a Nova Fox is bound to have a spare as it is included but isn't used), but if you choose to go the Nova Fox steering route, you will need new locating holes for the servo, or the Nova Fox lower chassis.

- J

• Like 1

It probably flew into your hair, and fell out onto the pillow as you slept.

Had a shower beforehand. Surely it would have gone down the drain... :P

• Like 1

I did manage to dislodge both C-clips without losing either one, using the tip of a broken-off X-Acto blade, but I think I bent one. As for the parts differences, as far as I know, all the parts I have are originals except the new wheels and decal sheet (which I may or may not use). I will probably put re-re tires on it, but the rest of the chassis should end up being original, or at least period-correct.

I can help you with a new original body (without wing), c-clips and I think also original stickers, if you want. The body is "new", uncut and unpainted, but not quite perfect condition due to age and the previous owner's storage conditions. Minor scratches in many places and a large scuff mark close to the front body post, in the area that will be covered by the number sticker and large front sticker anyway. No wrinkles or cracks. If interested, I can post pics.

Thanks, but it will have to wait for a while. Hobby funds are a bit nonexistent right now...

Gonna be the wkend prob before I can send your remaining box o' goodies. Hope that doesn't cramp your plans with the Fox. I definitely can't find that servo saver metal ring extension thingy tho... but if u can find one I'm sending u everything else u need.

So... nearly a month later, I finally got started on this thing. (You're supposed to play with toys on Christmas, right?)

Servo saver, the right way. (or at least the official way, which for Tamiya means fiddly, over-complicated, and a bit sloppy)

DSCF1982.JPG

Electronics all sealed up inside their plastic prison. I was going to seek out a mechanical speed control for this, but after seeing the design, I decided to use a nice maintenance-free TEU101. Receiver is Futaba, steering servo is an old Airtronics 94631 (period-correct on that at least).

DSCF1983.JPG

And here's where it sits now, front end almost completed. Ball joints are hanging by one screw each, I need to track down some more 2x6mm screws.

DSCF1984.JPG

Stopping for today, hope to get more done tomorrow...

• Like 3

I meant to take more photos as I went along, really I did. But sometimes you just get on a roll, and, well...

DSCF1985.JPG

DSCF1986.JPG

Gold wheels are for display only. I have a set of originals that I'll be using for running.

The wheels are the only re-re parts on this car. All the rest is either new old stock, or recycled from the original car. Nearly all the plastic is new. The gearbox internals, most of the hardware, and most of the metal parts are original. I might be looking for a new set of gears at some point; the gearbox is a little harsh-sounding. Not grindy or clicky or anything, just louder than I think it should be.

Now comes the hard part: the body. I'm going to try to salvage the original, at least for running.

• Like 1

I thought they seemed a bit short. I think I might have another motor with longer wires on it. Are they supposed to go up and over the shock tower, or thru that gap on the right side?

• Like 1

That's exactly what I ordered per Beef's suggestion for my Fox resto and it's a perfect fit.

• Like 1

So you've gotta see this body:

DSCF1987.JPG

I have no idea what the artist was trying to convey with this piece, other than "it's 1986 and I'm 13." It's even more, um, impressive in person; there are at least 2 coats of paint on both the inside and outside. Both wing holes are ripper out; the wing was actually held on by big blobs of paint. The Lexan itself is dented, cracked, and brittle.

Yeah... I think I'll end up ordering a new body for display after all. But I'm still going to try to do something with this one for running.

• Like 1