Sign in to follow this  
ST

Screws coming loose.

Hi to all,

Yesterday, I participated in a couple of 'friendly' races, the ground was a bit rough and gave my Wild Dagger quite a thrashing. No problem there, this truck was made for this except that all the screws seem to be coming loose. First the front servo arm screw came off, then the rear shock screw came off. Now I decided to use locktite on all the vital screws, which one of the locktite range should I use? Any ideas? I just want the screws to remain in place but not too tight that I would not be able to remove them.

Thanks for any info.

Regards to all.

Loctite works only for screws going into metals.

For plastic bits, a touch of superglue on the screw works too.

Yes, some layers of superglue also help when the the tread in the plastic is worn out.

Threadlock is the same as locktite. Only good for screws going into metal and so if you use it with plastic you'll find it usually "eats" the plastic.

quote:Originally posted by valman

...if you use it with plastic you'll find it usually "eats" the plastic.

id="quote">id="quote">

All except for Tamiya's blue goo... [:P]

"Loctite" is a brandname, bit like "Xerox" = photocopier.

Threadlocking compounds set anaerobically, when its between two metal surfaces. When placed next to plastic it stays liquid - that's why it always comes packaged in plastic bottles.

There are various grades of "Loctite" too, from 'semi-permanent' to 'permanent'. Do not buy the 'permanent' stuff, they really mean it!! Your screws will never come apart with force, only heat. The 'semi-p' stuff does the job well enough, even on gas cars.

Tamiya's stuff is more like a solvent-based glue though.

RTV, or silicone rubber, makes a good alternative. As long as the surfaces are clean (no oils), it does a good job of bonding and holding the parts. Does take overnight to set properly.

I never knew threadlock would eat plastic, i have been trying to get some to hold the screws in on my top force. Just as well you told me as if it didnt say on the bottle i would have a melted car [:(]

quote:Originally posted by mr_lister999.

I never knew threadlock would eat plastic, i have been trying to get some to hold the screws in on my top force. Just as well you told me as if it didnt say on the bottle i would have a melted car [:(]

id="quote">id="quote">

haha, that's just Tamiya's warnings.

(They also tell you not to wash your car in solvents!!)