mastino

Thunder Shot Question

Hi there, arrived just today a "new" model, sold me as a vintage Thunder Shot. No body, no chassis cover, no wheel. I'm not able to understand. Thunder Shot or Thunder Dragon (the only difference is the body?), vintage or re-release?

What do you think, what can I check?

ThunderShot_001_zpsxgjrk1lq.jpg

ThunderShot_003_zpsnl5wuls5.jpg

ThunderShot_004_zpsbokzzbkl.jpg

ThunderShot_005_zpsbryprjyr.jpg

ThunderShot_006_zpszzo2ixyh.jpg

ThunderShot_007_zpsk67laemt.jpg

and just a taste of kyosho... W5053??? maybe.

ThunderShot_002_zpsiolmp5yk.jpg

cheers... tomorrow you'll find me in Paris. Bon voyage! ;)

Yep Original Thunder Shot I say.

MSC is the biggest give away .

Original Thunder Shot alright, but the motor is not the original. That's a newer silvercan RS540 motor.

Anyway, that is a nice car to dismantle and restore! :)

• Like 1

I agree it's original. It could be, as you stated, made a Thundershot or Thunder Dragon. They are the same apart from the body shell.

Thunder Shot or Thunder Dragon (the only difference is the body?),

Yes, and the identical front body mount is mounted the other way around (pointing forward instead of backward from the shock tower) on the Thunder Dragon.

Many days on site keep me away from home; I brought the thunder shot to the hotel and started the controls.

ThunderShot_00009_zpsrnb5cde5.jpg

ThunderShot_00010_zpssbbumlg7.jpg

ThunderShot_00012_zpsfekxmyqy.jpg

Cleaning and checking of plastic, I put the new grease into differential and I replaced the bushings with bearings

ThunderShot_00014_zpsegtpw3lx.jpg

ThunderShot_00016_zpsptnyh5ob.jpg

The first part damaged, rear propeller shaft joint

ThunderShot_00017_zps7ofn8mun.jpg

Ordered a new one... for now I reinstalled this.

ThunderShot_00018_zpswjp4xbt8.jpg

Rear hubs with bearings

ThunderShot_00019_zpswfspfbty.jpg

ThunderShot_00020_zpsonyaups9.jpg

Arms and TS wheels

ThunderShot_00021_zps7vhzxwho.jpg

ThunderShot_00022_zpsornl8bwe.jpg

ThunderShot_00023_zpsmuvl9st8.jpg

Front joint and gear

ThunderShot_00024_zpseb6fssm1.jpg

Arms, C hubs

ThunderShot_00025_zpsqdosqc7p.jpg

steering system, front swaybar and rear bumper

ThunderShot_00026_zpsn2aw2e5y.jpg

other damaged parts... "A parts" needed.

ThunderShot_00027_zpsommuxdtr.jpg

ThunderShot_00028_zpsd88kambv.jpg

For the moment damaged parts reinstalled, and new A set ordered

ThunderShot_00029_zpsuh8jlrfe.jpg

Damper control

ThunderShot_00030_zpsukp5hq5e.jpg

check of the parts, no problem found, cleaning and new oil.

ThunderShot_00031_zpskqdubovl.jpg

I will stop here for now. B)

• Like 2

All the new pieces arrived

ThunderShot_00032_zpspmzdmymt.jpg

ThunderShot_00034_zpshkqfg0nj.jpg

and they were mounted

ThunderShot_00035_zps9w1rdh1q.jpg

ThunderShot_00036_zpsn4hlwhbc.jpg

ThunderShot_00037_zpsnpbgj6kc.jpg

ThunderShot_00038_zpsfif8o3r9.jpg

Vintage motor; I don' t know if "fitted in time"

ThunderShot_00039_zpsohmmpw0r.jpg

ThunderShot_00040_zpsz2fbf1m6.jpg

ThunderShot_00041_zps2v8vh0ga.jpg

ThunderShot_00042_zps7xwojcaj.jpg

ThunderShot_00043_zpscwamxpaz.jpg

ThunderShot_00044_zpsdittfbmd.jpg

Finally, the tires.

ThunderShot_00046_zpscvwy41pi.jpg

ThunderShot_00047_zpsioq45ryw.jpg

ThunderShot_00048_zpskxzpvsus.jpg

• Like 3

Nice rebuild. The TS chassis range are great cars and very underestimated. They handle fairly well and have a good turn of speed. Easier to assemble than their predecessors with less engineering and fewer parts. Neater gearboxes and suspension, better steering geometry, and crazy ground clearance for proper off road racing, as it was back in the day.

Unfortunately released at a time when Tamiya were losing popularity with the serious racers , and were looked upon as beginners cars. other manufacturers started to use double deck fibre chassis and belt drive transmissions with ball diffs.

Just looking back through old racing charts, plenty of people were racing Hotshots and the like, but things changed when Kyosho, Yokomo and Schumacher developed their machines. Thundershot buggies never got a sniff of top competition.

If they were released earlier, I bet these cars would have whooped some mega backside on the track.

I really like the chassis, yes, even the space age body shells that accompanied them.

• Like 3

The body is the real problem... new and original I have not found, just clone or Fire Dragon (needs double CVA on front)... I imagined being able to find, since it was re-released but for now, nothing!

I've noticed that the Fire dragon Bodies come up more often than not - in my opinion, the least attractive of the Dragon bodies. I'm surprised the Thunder Shot body is not readily available. Personally, I'd like to find a Thunder Dragon. There is something about it that I really like, but they're as rare as hens teeth.

A lot of the Dragon bodies fit on the Hornet chassis, maybe a Hornet body will fit the TS chassis?

Has anyone tried?

You have a Mk1 vintage Thunder Shot.

You can recognize it from the rear hubs and the front hub carriers. The top end of these parts go straight up, in the Mk2 release, Thunder Dragon, Fire Dragon and Terra Scorcher the top of these parts are bent innner to the upper blue arms.

The Fire Dragon body can be mounted also with the front mono shock, it has two different cuts in the front nose.

The Fire Dragon body can't mount the driver moulded in the chassis cover but has a plain flat chassis cover and the driver without the armd is screwed to the top of the canopy of the body just like in the Vanquish for example.

Anyway I suggest you to buy a Thunder Shot body.

Your model is in excellent condition.

Max

The body is the real problem... new and original I have not found, just clone or Fire Dragon (needs double CVA on front)... I imagined being able to find, since it was re-released but for now, nothing!

• Like 1

probably you're right... but I'm an animal! :rolleyes:

serious mode ON... I'd like to find an original TS body, unfortunately I bump alone in his clone.

Still in waitinfg for a new original TS body... for the moment, I settled for a clone.

But, a clone should be shameless!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

:rolleyes:

ThunderShot_00071_zpshqkbhmd2.jpg

ThunderShot_00067_zpsfjrx2anr.jpg

ThunderShot_00066_zpsm6ooybce.jpg

• Like 2

You have a Mk1 vintage Thunder Shot.

You can recognize it from the rear hubs and the front hub carriers. The top end of these parts go straight up, in the Mk2 release, Thunder Dragon, Fire Dragon and Terra Scorcher the top of these parts are bent innner to the upper blue arms.

The Fire Dragon body can be mounted also with the front mono shock, it has two different cuts in the front nose.

The Fire Dragon body can't mount the driver moulded in the chassis cover but has a plain flat chassis cover and the driver without the armd is screwed to the top of the canopy of the body just like in the Vanquish for example.

Anyway I suggest you to buy a Thunder Shot body.

Your model is in excellent condition.

Max

Upvoted for spotting that this is not just an original, but it is indeed a Thundershot Mk1 due to those parts.

This model definitely (in my opinion) deserves an original body set to finish it off. They are a bit rare, so it just requires some patience to wait for one to come along.

• Like 1

Not that it really matters but I see your front bumper screws that attach to the A5 are way too long and looking at your rear shock setup, the plastic spacers are the wrong way round, blue spacers should be on the blue arms with black ones at the top!

I'm surprised the dash-1 body doesn't stretch over the rear a bit better, it looks too short but I think that the clone uses a simpler rear attachment to the original bodyset?

I have a body from the 1988 model, don't know if that can help and if that fits....

I'd be glad if I could fix this car but I can't find the original card receiver...

IMG_20170226_022206.jpg

This is a 1/14 scale Quick Drive Thunder Shot, the Thunder Shot in this topic is a 1/10 scale.

Max