beefmuffin

TBLE-02S w/ Tamiya Brushless Motor -- worth even considering?

Hey guys - Markbt73 has infected me a bit with enjoying the performance of the Novak Edge/Ballistic setup I now have in my DF-02 runner. Being a relative n00b to brushless I have no intrinsic sense as to whether I'd see similar performance by picking up one of Tamiya's entry-level BL motors and using it with a TBLE-02S I have just sitting NIP in a bin.

To be honest I've been pretty underwhelmed by Tamiya's ESC's other than the TEU-101BK and TEU-302BK. All the others have hard-wired limited reverse capability and I can't seem to see any performance improvement between them (am I missing something?). Lucky for me, people think that the 101BK is 'less good' than the 102-105BK, so I regularly buy them whenever I can for anything under $20 NIP.

So - basically, I'm skeptical that the TBLE-02S is even worth bothering with brushed or brushless. Except if I go and buy a $60-70 Tamiya BL motor (I'd only go for a matching motor - I like things that match) then I'd be wasting a lot of $ and still seeing lackluster performance. BUT maybe I'm wrong...!

Has anyone tried one of these combos and have good things to say about it? Particularly relative to other BL systems you've used?

Good question there Mr. Beef. I too have no idea about whether it is worth it or not and I also love a matching set. Hopefully some helpful guru will come along.

• Like 1

Marking thread... I have a TBLE-02s in my Frog now... I'm debating on what to do about replacing the Sport Tuned...

Terry

• Like 1

Depends if you really want a Tamiya. Yeah that ESC works well, but its got no adjustability and no lipo cutoff. I run mine with a 10.5T HobbyKing X Car motor. Its fast and smooth, but thermals about about 15mins of laps in a FF03.

The only reason I use that ESC is because the group with race with all use it too.

For the price you could eBay it for, plus the price of a Tamiya motor, you'd get a way better matching non Tamiya combo.

• Like 1

Depends if you really want a Tamiya. Yeah that ESC works well, but its got no adjustability and no lipo cutoff. I run mine with a 10.5T HobbyKing X Car motor. Its fast and smooth, but thermals about about 15mins of laps in a FF03.

The only reason I use that ESC is because the group with race with all use it too.

For the price you could eBay it for, plus the price of a Tamiya motor, you'd get a way better matching non Tamiya combo.

Well I don't need to worry about LiPo cutoffs b/c LiPo is basically my Kryptonite. But if you think a non-Tamiya matching setup is 'way' better, any specific suggestions for about the same cost (maybe $100 give or take)? Novak is obviously an old fav from before the brushless days. Sort of prefer a vintage-y brand to something super modern, even if the features are more limited, etc... hence considering the Tamiya setup.

They run well with the Turnigy Trackstar motors and they are about as cheap as it gets when it comes to sensored 540 size motors. The TBLE runs all motors slower than they would otherwise go on other ESCs, I believe because they run quite low, fixed timing. I don't think it's worth investing in an expensive motor with this ESC as it will not realise any more meaningful performance. If you intended to upgrade the ESC later, it might be worthwhile - but in my opinion, only then.

• Like 1

I have overheating issues with mine too. This is running a TBLE02S with tamiya brushless 10.5T motor. I first put it in a low-geared DT02 and was maybe expecting too much of it, but had the same issue with a TA03 drift car (which by nature has very little friction in the drivetrain!).

Not least this, but the 'punch' from the TBLE02S was very underwhelming compared with other systems I've had experience of - I'd go as far as to say that a good brushed setup with a Hobbywing 1060 had greater performance in that respect.

I bought it because I wanted an 'all Tamiya' setup but was very disappointed with it - especially for the cost. The systems come in nice fancy boxes but are out performed by cheaper lesser brands in almost every aspect.

• Like 3

This is the kind of excellent feedback I was hoping for! Thanks fellas. Is there anyone out there using the TBLE-02s with a BL motor who is very happy with the setup?? (let's see if we can hear a pin drop)

Hi I am running a pair of DT02's one with a 16t , one with 10.5t Tamiya motors an XV01 Asterion truck running a Tamiya 10.5t an F201 with a 10.5t trackstar with the timing turned up and TT01E F150 with a 13.5t trackstar.

I don't have overheating problems with any of them although I am using the recommended fan with the 10.5t equipped cars except the F201 as it won't fit, I must admit the XV01 gets the esc pretty warm even with the fan... maybe because its enclosed?

I also use many more in brushed mode in other cars without issue I must have about 20 TBLE-02S in all sorts of cars with motors up to sport tuned, I think they are solid little ESC and are available for about 10 quid each, I have even reversed the polarity on one by accident and blew it up, when took it apart a track had melted so I bridged it and it now works perfectly.

I drive the cars fairly hard but not brutally and never apply power to a car when the wheels are stuck.

This is just my experience with them ... plus they easy to program IF you read the instructions!

• Like 1

I am very happy with my experiences running TBLE-02 ESCs and Speed Passion 13.5t motors in several of my cars. I have no idea how performance compares to other brushless setups, but I know they are faster than any of my brushed cars, yet give longer runtimes.

(I haven't had any thermalling issues either, probably because I stick to 13.5t and tend to gear conservatively.)

• Like 2

I am very happy with my experiences running TBLE-02 ESCs and Speed Passion 13.5t motors in several of my cars. I have no idea how performance compares to other brushless setups, but I know they are faster than any of my brushed cars, yet give longer runtimes.

(I haven't had any thermalling issues either, probably because I stick to 13.5t and tend to gear conservatively.)

Oh, cool! I had posted this thread and got pointed in this direction... http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=78192

I have a 13.5 SP BL on my EBAY Watch List... Maybe next pay day...

Gotta pay for Xmas gifts first...

Terry

• Like 1

For maximum power the TBLE-02S with any motor isn't the best choice. As with all but the most powerful brushless systems, there are brushed set ups that can match it for pace, but that's hardly the point. The fit and forget maintenance free nature of brushless is why you would go with a TBLE system if you ask me. I run one with a Speed Passion 13.5 in my Wild One and it isn't as fast as you would expect it to be on another ESC, but it's perfect for the car. I run two TBLE-02S in my Clod Buster with 11.5T motors and that's a spot on set up too and extremely cheap. These ESCs have their place but can't extract maximum power from any brushless motor and are not great in brushed mode. But they are cheap for a dual brushed/brushless ESC and are smooth, and represent pretty nice value I think.

• Like 2

For $81 shipped on ebay right now, the Speed Passion Reventon R combos are looking pretty darn good. With motor options down to 7.5T, there is enough power for pretty much ANY 10th scale application. The ESCs come in black, tamiya-blue or silver, and the motor options are either silver or MMM-black. Pretty nooice! Wires are pre-installed, but the ESC doesn't include a connector. You either have to crimp your own Tamiya molex and bullets on, or solder the wires to the motor and battery connector of your choice.

I also REALLY like the removable servo & switch leads. This allows for very trick-soldered installs (like the Novak GTB in my TRF201).

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=reventon+r+combo&LH_PrefLoc=2&_sop=15

spa000063.jpg

20132710540SP000063wired_withWire.jpg

I run the reventon R esc in 2 of my runners, solid , reliable and great performance

There's one thing that puzzles me: Could you please explain why some of you think using the TBLE-02S results in a lower power output to the motor than other speed controllers? Provided you use a motor that works within the turn limit specifications and both controllers are in default timing setting.

Well "some" ESCs use current limiting to allow for lower-turn motors (to boost sales). One key example of tihs is the Novak XRS. That ESC is advertised as powering down to 15 turn brushed motors, but only has a current capacity of 40amps (on the old rating system). 40amps is barely enough current handling to operate a sliver can. How does Novak this work? This ESC uses a current limiter to prevent the motor from drawing more current than the ESC can handle. This reduces motor performance. In my brothers DF02, we switched from a 19T motor to a 16T and noticed ZERO performance improvement. And that was even with the smallest pinion option for the car.

Now I don't think Tamiya uses current limiting technology on any of their speed controls. They simply have thermal and current overload protection (which switches the ESC off to prevent damage). I seriously doubt the 02S reduces performance of the motor.

However....most modern brushless ESCs (like the Reventon series) have turbo & boost programming options inside them. These dynamic timing settings can increase performance of any motor....thereby making the ESC much faster than any TBLE-02S.

• Like 1

The 02S runs the sane motor slower than any other ESC I've tried including those without dynamic timing advance. I think this is because the static timing on the ESC is low which will have a knock on effect of reducing current draw.

I use the 02s with Tamiya's TBLM-01s 10.5t motor in my Neo Scorcher and it's pretty much identical in speed to an Etronix 12t setup I also have. I run it with the fan and have no overheating problems.

I've got a couple more motors for other builds. £30 each from Banzai plus a couple of quid for SAL postage. The 01s motor is discontinued now but the new 02s is the same price. I'll get one of those soon and report on any differences I find.

I like the "all Tamiya" thing and how the motor is black rather than a non matching red or different shade of blue. The Tamiya power switch always fits neatly unlike some 3rd party ESC's switches.

I run Li-Pos so just fit an alarm, I usually have one to hand anyhow as I find the voltage indicator useful.

• Like 1

For the power switch, I like to remove them all together if possible. In the case of the Reventon I posted above, you can simply fit a 2-pin jumper over the +/- pins and the ESC comes on. If you are lazy, you can leave the jumper on and just have the ESC come on when the battery is connected.

In the old days, the racers used to remove the ESC switch & twist the +/- wires together inside to save weight & eliminate any potential problems. These are just fun install techniques. Definitely not for everyone (as I'm sure some will comment).

2-pin electronics jumper (like found on a hard-drive:

09044-02-L.jpg

My Novak GTB with no switch, and black receiver / power / capacitor wires soldered underneath:

Wiring-2_zpsc29acdc9.jpg

• Like 3

OK - I saw a deal on a TBLM-01 and I pulled the trigger without thinking and didn't realize it wouldn't work with my TBLE-02S! GRUMBLE GRUMBLE

So, will this motor work well with anything other ESC than a TBLE-01? Will it actually work with the TBLE-02S, just without the sensor cable connected? I ordered a cheap unsensored BL ESC for $18 just to have something to possibly try and feel like less of a dingus.

Anyone have any advice? Should I just sell the motor, both ESCs and get something else? I tried bidding on a good deal on another Novak system but lost by a nose. I wasn't willing to spend any more anyway though. $120 is really the max total I'd pay for a complete system.

I know - I'm an idiot. Your help will earn you brownie points with Santa (probably)... or the elf on the shelf. Is that the same thing?

The TBLM-01 motor will work with any ESC that can operate in sensorless mode. The TBLE-02S can't function in such a mode so there's no way of running sensorless motors with it. There is a huge range of ESCs that you could use, sounds like you have bought one. I really like the Hobbywing EZ-Run units. Super smooth start up and good throttle feel, excellent power, low cost. And they take a lot of punishment running hot motors in heavy racing applications in my experience too (the 60A one).

• Like 1

The TBLM-01 motor will work with any ESC that can operate in sensorless mode. The TBLE-02S can't function in such a mode so there's no way of running sensorless motors with it. There is a huge range of ESCs that you could use, sounds like you have bought one. I really like the Hobbywing EZ-Run units. Super smooth start up and good throttle feel, excellent power, low cost. And they take a lot of punishment running hot motors in heavy racing applications in my experience too (the 60A one).

Thanks - yeah, this is the one I bought - looks like a Hobbywing clone. For the price no real risk in trying it...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/361403099394

s-l1600.jpg

i have run the tble speedy in a few rigs , dirt thrasher with a 13.5t hobbywing motor and and in my Porsche rere with a 10.5t hobbywing . I have run the 13.5t a handful of times and its been great ,still not game to run the Porsche but while I don't have any compliants with the esc or anything I have found for nearly the same price I bought a leopold 7.5t motor and esc for around $90 shipped and they are mental in my ta03f and evo4 so much so I shredded the foams inside the wheels of the evo lol .

if you can get the tble esc cheap or it comes with a kit id use it but I woudnt go out of my way to buy one as there are cheaper and better combos out there for under $100

• Like 1