Sign in to follow this  
TWINSET

58438 Mini (Cooper) Discontinued?

Just a heads up - read a Facebook post saying that the M-05 Mini Cooper has been discontinued

There still seems to be stock around;

£92 Time Tunnel (No ESC)

£109 Modelsport

£104 Amazon

According to the source of the rumour;

"Buy it now to be one of the last people to ever own this model from new!"

"We expect they'll be snapped up by collectors. It's now a "once in a lifetime" purchase. They'll be worth a lot of money in some years"

If I had stock, I think I'd be keeping them if I knew that :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Just a heads up - read a Facebook post saying that the M-05 Mini Cooper has been discontinued

There still seems to be stock around;

£92 Time Tunnel (No ESC)

£109 Modelsport

£104 Amazon

According to the source of the rumour;

"Buy it now to be one of the last people to ever own this model from new!"

"We expect they'll be snapped up by collectors. It's now a "once in a lifetime" purchase. They'll be worth a lot of money in some years"

If I had stock, I think I'd be keeping them if I knew that :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't think the kit will ever be worth a lot of money. After all, I'd say it's very likely Tamiya will release it again on a future generation of the M-chassis.It's been on M01, M03 and M05 so far, and I see no reason why it should stop with that. The Mini is an evergreen and as far as I know, the M-chassis/M-class show(s) no sign of totally losing popularity. If anything, I reckon the M01 Mini(s) might fetch relatively high collector prices because it was the first model on the M-chassis and Tamiya's first RC Mini.

I wasn't, for a minute, buying into the 'collector' part of the post - the M-05 re-re in 20 years will decimate the value anyway :lol:
But, if the 58438 version is on the way out, it might be a while before the successor arrives (although there's always the Monte Carlo version)

• Like 1

They'll probably just release it again on the M05V2 with better motor position; no need to keep producing V1 and V2 chassis.

• Like 2

I wasn't, for a minute, buying into the 'collector' part of the post

I don't know you well, but I know you well enough to know that. :)

Agreed, we'll just see it in V2 spec instead, probably by first quarter 2016 even!

It's almost something of a commodity product the Tamiya Mini, I think it will always exist in one form or another!

So will it just be the 58438 kit or the 58483 kit as well?

I do need to get a Mini in my collection and have the 58483 on my wish list so i guess do i pull the trigger soon or wait and see :unsure:

So will it just be the 58438 kit or the 58483 kit as well?

I don't know that it's any more than a rumour started by a store in the UK to shift stock

If you're considering one it might be worth grabbing one, then again...

Isn't the M03 version still available (and/or widely accessible)?

I think I may just bump it up in the pecking order of what I buy next.

It would be about the only thing I would do box art (in recent times anyway)

I heard that Tamiya have not renewed the mini license so there will be no mini shells etc produced.

I heard that Tamiya have not renewed the mini license so there will be no mini shells etc produced.

That is possibly not a bad thing.

As the owner of a M01 mini in green, M01 Monte in red, M03 mini in blue, M03 Monte in red, M05 mini in red (I resisted the M05 Monte - how many red minis can you have?) and a Mardave ministock for fun I cant really justify a M07 or M09. And if they did: What colour would the boxart be? I mean that is a huge question!

They'll probably just release it again on the M05V2 with better motor position; no need to keep producing V1 and V2 chassis.

I thought about this too but Tamiya have just released the new ND MX-5 on the old M05 V1

I don't for a second believe that to be true, although I don't at all doubt someone has told you that. With all the entusiasm for the RC Mini and multiple very popular static models of the Mini in 1/12 and 1/24 scale from Tamiya too, it wouldn't at all make sense. Although not completely impossible, I reckon this to be one of the typical "insider info" rumours, ie. totally without substance.

I also agree. I know that the original mini is one of the most iconic cars out there so it wouldn't make much sense to not have it in your model range. Just saying what I heard on another site.

• Like 1

Well Santa is bringing me the Monte Carlo version next week....plus I have 1 NIB of the Cooper Racing version......

I might have to buy another Cooper Racing version....so I can paint it blue!! :wub:

Then I can have....

Red Cooper Racing Box Art example

Red Monte Carlo Box Art example

Blue Cooper Racing non-box art example

:)

• Like 1