Nobbi1977

MF-01X Bitsa

Never had a 4x4 road type car so I thought I would build an MF-01x

I did not want the Jimny body so I thought I would order bits and use what I had in stock to build a bitsa

So here we go

SAM_2579_zpskdpv4v42.jpg

No Manual so iPad it is

SAM_2580_zpsuil8yyej.jpg

Gears

SAM_2581_zpsbmq9ryvi.jpg

Diff

SAM_2582_zps5jblzmbc.jpg

A bit of this from stock

SAM_2583_zpsucrbav6c.jpg

Few screws from stock

SAM_2584_zpsexkav1rq.jpg

Chassis Parts

SAM_2585_zpsbjghh0p0.jpg

First hop-up

SAM_2586_zps1ufggmcn.jpg

Bearings were not a bad price from Banzai

SAM_2587_zpsl5bnpaqq.jpg

Sealed bearings from stock for outer uses

SAM_2588_zps2rxwepmu.jpg

Instructions

SAM_2589_zps0basqiyq.jpg

Chain wax for the gearbox

SAM_2590_zps54nqmdrn.jpg

Carbon shafts - Why, because they sell them. Odd thing, I have been collecting parts for a while and found 3 sets of hollow shafts as well

SAM_2591_zpsuxhtqmlw.jpg

Built

SAM_2592_zps6pehw4qf.jpg

Next step

SAM_2593_zpswylcbuxx.jpg

More Carbon

SAM_2594_zps1pe9n76s.jpg

Comes with nice black balls. I have blue ones in stock so I will use these. Not a big fan but it matches the motor plate

SAM_2595_zpskenf6a0r.jpg

All done for tonight

SAM_2596_zpshmvfk5dp.jpg

Next step needs a servo and I do not think I have one in stock so I need to order a few more

• Like 3

Nice, looks a lot like my second MF01x build, also mostly of leftovers and bits ordered at Banzai.

:)

Did you putty F&R and how much did you use?

Nice, looks a lot like my second MF01x build, also mostly of leftovers and bits ordered at Banzai.

:)

Did you putty F&R and how much did you use?

Only built the rear so far and I packed it tight. Will free up over time but wanted the rear to be almost locked.

I will use less in the front but enough to stop it wasting all the power on one wheel. About 2cm per planet wheel works well in my experience.

I am guessing there is no centre diff so even if both fronts are spinning the rear will still drive?

Just pricing this up to build a second MF01X and I think the price of a new kit from somewhere like Fusion with the discount makes building one from parts look expensive? Or am I missing something? £31.34 for the main chassis, gears, damper stays and driveshaft from HK seller on eBay - but the thing that gets me is the screw bags, I dont have enough spares for 2 diffs, outdrives and drive cups and cannot find the correct "Screw Bags" for sale.

Please enlighten me as I would love to build another one :D

Just pricing this up to build a second MF01X and I think the price of a new kit from somewhere like Fusion with the discount makes building one from parts look expensive? Or am I missing something? £31.34 for the main chassis, gears, damper stays and driveshaft from HK seller on eBay - but the thing that gets me is the screw bags, I dont have enough spares for 2 diffs, outdrives and drive cups and cannot find the correct "Screw Bags" for sale.

Please enlighten me as I would love to build another one :D

To be honest i have not totaled up my spend. Compared to the launch price of the Jimny I know it worked out cheaper.

I got everything from Banzai that I did not have but I have odd bits from other builds i can draw on. The plus is that this is much more of an adventure :)

When I am done we can put all the photographed part codes in and see how much i spent :P

• Like 1

Hehe :)

I did the same with my first M05 build - built it from an M03.

I think I have enough bits to do it for a £40 spend so not as bad as I thought - agreed its more about the adventure! B)

Stella has them for US $94.90 & $104.90 with painted body + postage .

As i almost got one today , but got the fighting buggy . So i'm not sure what it would cost in pounds etc .

I didn't document my build but we seem to have done very similar things right down to the Hop ups.

I'm having clearance issues with my chosen bodyshell and the hop up front suspension tower as the bonnet is very low.

What kind of body have you chosen to use? I haven't finished my second MF01 yet and I'm already thinking how awesome a rally-spec Mini Cooper would be!

• Like 1

I didn't document my build but we seem to have done very similar things right down to the Hop ups.

I'm having clearance issues with my chosen bodyshell and the hop up front suspension tower as the bonnet is very low.

What kind of body have you chosen to use? I haven't finished my second MF01 yet and I'm already thinking how awesome a rally-spec Mini Cooper would be!

Body is not 100% decided yet. Going to build front and rear and then try it under a few things.

I have no idea what I will do for running it, I have too many kits already!!

Will a Mini shell fit though?

I have not got a spare servo. Can it be fitted after the build or is it encased in the gearbox?

Having sized it up this morning I think the Mini is too small. The problem area being the rear overhang, perhaps predictable. If you cut the rear bumper to allow for the plastic extrusion which extends beyond the bumper then it would fit. If you were more confident you might be able to chop that part of the chassis off altogether - I reckon it's sole purpose is to protect the motor from rear impact anyway.

Which of the Mini shells work with the Tamiya M-chassis rally blocks anyway (if any)?

• Like 1

I have not got a spare servo. Can it be fitted after the build or is it encased in the gearbox?

You wil have to disassemble the front gearbox. No chance getting it in otherwise.
  • Like 1

Having sized it up this morning I think the Mini is too small. The problem area being the rear overhang, perhaps predictable. If you cut the rear bumper to allow for the plastic extrusion which extends beyond the bumper then it would fit. If you were more confident you might be able to chop that part of the chassis off altogether - I reckon it's sole purpose is to protect the motor from rear impact anyway.

Which of the Mini shells work with the Tamiya M-chassis rally blocks anyway (if any)?

thought this wouldd be the case, thanks for looking

I know the Alpine and Fiat 500 shells fit them without a problem as I have tried them.

The M-size rally blocks are within a hair of the same diameter as the 60D radials, so I suspect that any of the shells supplied with those as standard should work, including the Rover Mini Cooper Racing.

Servos turned up today so might get a chunk more done at the weekend. Photobucket not working so no pictures :-(

• Like 1

Servos turned up today so might get a chunk more done at the weekend. Photobucket not working so no pictures :-(

I have been having the same trouble with Photobucket , good to know it's just not me :P ..

Oh ! Why photobucket , We need our pic's of these fine builds :( ...

I have been having the same trouble with Photobucket , good to know it's just not me :P ..

Oh ! Why photobucket , We need our pic's of these fine builds :( ...

Working now

11d2cd5e35c1756da00e22462e52d333_zpsjf5h

• Like 1

Starting point for today

SAM_2597_zpsjp3vvclb.jpg

Not sure the Hi Torque saver will work

SAM_2598_zpsovsj9hlr.jpg

Alloy a lot stiffer than the stock plastic

SAM_2599_zpsv5nn5nn2.jpg

SAM_2600_zpsedjsacx7.jpg

New bag needed for spacers

SAM_2601_zpstxyo43c0.jpg

SAM_2602_zpsohdsiyaj.jpg

Done

SAM_2603_zpsag054vbp.jpg

Next

SAM_2604_zps7anxsgsm.jpg

Selection of rods to make steering arms from

SAM_2605_zpsibgmu2eo.jpg

And ends

SAM_2606_zpstwqwwjfj.jpg

Bit of a trim

SAM_2607_zpsfwe2fj4t.jpg

Diff building. Only a little putty this time for the front

SAM_2608_zps5xzxjznr.jpg

New bag for bearing spacers

SAM_2609_zpsrodckwbg.jpg

SAM_2610_zpssllyqe0t.jpg

Carbon shaft for one gear

SAM_2611_zpsmpnanstj.jpg

Practice cutting down a shaft

SAM_2612_zpsolwqjrbs.jpg

Not happy to wreck another expensive pack so cut down a a hollow shaft pack instead

SAM_2613_zpszxeha4db.jpg

Next bag. Has two sets in it so I did not need to buy two

SAM_2614_zpsky7helo8.jpg

Battery holder

SAM_2615_zpsafdbrv0i.jpg

Next

SAM_2616_zpsg5eqddyn.jpg

Lower arms

SAM_2617_zpswznfvl1k.jpg

Got spare shafts so seems rude not to use them

SAM_2618_zpsv0vdvthn.jpg

Spacer needed to take out slack

SAM_2619_zpsremla9l7.jpg

Fitted

SAM_2620_zps9x7i2dmi.jpg

Arm extenders. These are a poor design, one screw and a lot of movment. Not enough space for two screws

SAM_2621_zps93onwszn.jpg

The answer

SAM_2622_zpslpy9wnfw.jpg

SAM_2623_zpsnusv80jj.jpg

SAM_2624_zpsbxp24epj.jpg

Not great but no movement now

SAM_2626_zpsiajflwus.jpg

• Like 1

Are these lower holes going to limit movement? Do I need to cut them off?

SAM_2628_zpssbz2rnf4.jpg

Drive cups

SAM_2630_zps5xyurvwp.jpg

Shafts

SAM_2631_zpslt9k9e1r.jpg

Looking good

SAM_2632_zps6cacfswj.jpg

Head cut off a bolt and top links made. Anyone tell me how long these should be eye to eye?

SAM_2634_zpsqbxow6ks.jpg

Rear hubs have a lot of movement, I need to look in to it more.

SAM_2635_zpsu1h4i00r.jpg

King pins

SAM_2636_zps82bivddu.jpg

Prize for the person that looked at those and thought "those will not fit"

Or these

SAM_2637_zpsssnoliru.jpg

Nothing in stock that will do. Need to wait for parts. My Tundra box should have 8 in but I do not want to rob a boxed kit

This is as far as I can go today

SAM_2639_zpsib3q1hvb.jpg

Super short with no spacer, would be fun to drive

SAM_2640_zpsyyymgfz3.jpg

Spacer added and a body idea

SAM_2642_zpsspgrv6l3.jpg

Looks about right :)

SAM_2643_zpsghx6yyhs.jpg

Ha would be awesome with a LB body.

With the rear upright extensions you can use a set screw in place of a button headed screw to achieve the same rigidity the stock parts are missing. That's why I'm so keen for the individual Yeah Racing parts to become available, they not only sort out the upper link geometry but they mean you have to remove that upright extension altogether, so the geo of a stock M-05 if you will. Spring time they reckon.

I'll bet you were miffed when discovering that those king pins were too big! The hop up low friction ones are hex-headed too which is nice.