bjorklo

KNIGHT Customs Sand Rail Project

sandRailLogo_zpsry5iufw6.png

This is a project i have been wanting to do for a while now, but due to the cost of the parts it has taken some time to gather the parts needed and I'm still not done. Soon i will have all the printed parts from Knight Customs and then i will start sanding them down. I haven't decided what colour to paint the frame in, but it will be some kind of red i think.

20151206_210947_zpsjxftidef.jpg

20151206_210952_zpsdy2mv4zo.jpg

20151206_211003_zps9i621jpl.jpg

20151206_211009_zpssofiowoc.jpg

20151212_220336_zps7tfklzoj.jpg

20151212_220352_zpsh0muxoma.jpg

Parts can be bought form here: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/knightcustoms?section=Sand+Rail+Kit+%28Tamiya+Wild+One%29&s=0

• Like 5

Very nice project. Those sand-rail buggies are beautiful. And I can see you have the original Fast Attack Vehicle front arms there. They will make the buggy look much more in scale than if you was using the ones in the promo pictures as those belong to the Wild One and are wider than the original FAV's.

Most 1:1 sand rails are red. Nowadays there are people trying different colors to paint the cages but red will always be the standard for these. ;)

• Like 1

Yeah i do have an original FAV in parts, so if these parts will fit or not look strange i think i will use em. Then again im thinking, I have an original FAV in parts, i should rebuildt it and get new parts for the Sand Rail, hmmm.

They do look real nice in red.

Great project bjorklo. I bought the desert patrol vehicle set from Knight Customs and it's beautifully made, worth every penny.

Looking forward to watching this build up 😉

• Like 1

Thanks.
Yeah must agree with you so far. Hope to get some more progress soon.

That's going to turn out really cool. I would like to get the same kit to do a conversion on a wild one so I look forward to seeing how yours turns out.

I learned a few lessons about the shape ways parts during my still unfinished Beach Buggy project. The parts are a bit rough and they don't take a sanding well. I found that layering several thin layers of primer filled in the roughness and gave you a surface you could smooth out.

• Like 3

Sure hope so :)

Thanks for the tip, it's gonna be very useful. But off-course i need to learn the hard way :rolleyes:

I have also tried a few Shapeways parts including Toykid's VW lug wheels. As Shodog says, the sanding is hard going. I did use a filler-primer on mine but had to put down so many coats I began to lose detail.

I have seen that some people try an acetone bath on their Shapeways materials which I think I will try next time.

http://hackaday.com/2013/02/26/giving-3d-printed-parts-a-shiny-smooth-finish/

• Like 2

I have also tried a few Shapeways parts including Toykid's VW lug wheels. As Shodog says, the sanding is hard going. I did use a filler-primer on mine but had to put down so many coats I began to lose detail.

I have seen that some people try an acetone bath on their Shapeways materials which I think I will try next time.

Quick question, did you wet or dry sand the parts?

Thanks for the aceton tip, will look into that.

• Like 1

I dry sanded using a 600 grit paper. it doesn't ever really smooth out, it looks like it gets hairy and just moves the plastic around. eventually I layered enough primer down to get a smooth finish

B5899F4E-52A0-434D-9406-FC99AF4B390E_zps

I dry sanded using a 600 grit paper. it doesn't ever really smooth out, it looks like it gets hairy and just moves the plastic around. eventually I layered enough primer down to get a smooth finish

B5899F4E-52A0-434D-9406-FC99AF4B390E_zps

Hmmm, sounds like thats the solution, if i don't manage to sand it down either.

It looks realy nice the manax body, awesome coulour.

sandRailLogo_zpsry5iufw6.png

Got the two last parts today. So now i will start on the hard task to get the printed parts to look nice painted.

20151214_224835_zpsiqxcupx1.jpg

And I just had to try to put some of the parts together.

20151214_225244_zpsaijqrhzp.jpg

• Like 5

In my experience getting it shiny just involves lots of fine surface primer. The more you use, the smoother it gets, then paint as usual.

• Like 1

The Shapeways strong and flexible material is actually nylon12, not ABS so it doesn't react to the acetone.

• Like 1

In my experience getting it shiny just involves lots of fine surface primer. The more you use, the smoother it gets, then paint as usual.

Sounds like i will have to get some can's of fine surface primer. Do you sand between each layer of primer, or just add layer on layer?

The Shapeways strong and flexible material is actually nylon12, not ABS so it doesn't react to the acetone.

To bad, since it could have been an easy way out.

Yes you should sand the primer to keep the surface as smooth as possible. Dont worry about sanding through as you're going to have spray many thin coats to build it up. Don't get in a hurry here. Let the primer fry, flat it with sand paper then respray another coat

• Like 1

I've bought the same kit, I've had it for months but when I look at the pieces and all the tube that need many hours of rubbing down, I keep putting off the build :(

But maybe I could at least try :)

Yes you should sand the primer to keep the surface as smooth as possible. Dont worry about sanding through as you're going to have spray many thin coats to build it up. Don't get in a hurry here. Let the primer fry, flat it with sand paper then respray another coat

Thanks for the tip :)

I've bought the same kit, I've had it for months but when I look at the pieces and all the tube that need many hours of rubbing down, I keep putting off the build :(

But maybe I could at least try :)

I'm in kind of the same situation, can't get myself to start the work. Ok, will have as a goal to start during the upcoming weekend.

Very nice project. Those sand-rail buggies are beautiful. And I can see you have the original Fast Attack Vehicle front arms there. They will make the buggy look much more in scale than if you was using the ones in the promo pictures as those belong to the Wild One and are wider than the original FAV's.

Most 1:1 sand rails are red. Nowadays there are people trying different colors to paint the cages but red will always be the standard for these. ;)

These are Wild One front arms. Original FAV's front arms have a shorter E7 and E8 parts and make a narrow tread at front.

Looking good Bjorklo,

Shodog is right, build up lots of primer and sand it back for best results. Nylon has good mechanical properties but does not sand well.

James.

Thanks Toykid :-)

I'm having problems getting hold of a good primer, might get it on friday.