Sign in to follow this  
poss375

Mini Cooper '94 Monte Carlo M-01 restoration

Hi guys,

So I'm a newbie here(Live in Victoria, Australia town called Traralgon) and just recently started getting back into RC. It's probably at least 15 years since I last mucked around with any.

I was originally going to collect some of the toy grade cars from when I was a kid, Tyco Fast Traxx, Typhoon etc. But then I came across my old Tamiya cars a Stadium Thunder and my first ever Tamiya(and first hobbie grade) car a Mini Cooper Monte Carlo 58163, the Thunder is in good nic and came up like brand new after a clean, the Mini on the other had is going to need some work...

THE PLAN

-Dismantle and give everything a good clean

-Source the missing bits(found some online but if anyone has bits for an M-01 chassis the want to sell let me know, I'll also put a list of wanted parts in the for sale section)

-Replace all the bushing with bearings

-Install a ESC(all the cars I've had have MSC)

-At some point I'd like to get a new body shell and paint it up but

Anyway here are some pics with all the parts I have... Any and all advice is welcome :). Go easy on me I'm new :P.

http://i.imgur.com/nqj38MI.jpg http://i.imgur.com/wl2D2kx.jpg http://i.imgur.com/7JuZJ24.jpg http://i.imgur.com/gmlA0r5.jpg

• Like 2

good luck with the build, mini's are fun drive (both rc and 1:1)!

I bought a monte carlo body for a M01 chassis I had a couple of years ago. Not too hard to part, but I found the lights a little tricky. I couldn't get them to sit properly.

you can use the little picture icon (two icons to the right of the little chain icon) to embed the images in the post as well, like this:nqj38MI.jpg

wl2D2kx.jpg

7JuZJ24.jpg

gmlA0r5.jpg

Thanks Yogo.

Yeah with the pictures I tried embedding them but the formatting of my post went all weird... I'm sure I'll figure it out next time.

Good luck with the resto! The Monte Carlo Mini has to be one of Tamiya's most attractive M-size shells. Here's mine, on the M-03:

DSC04749_zpsouphuw6l.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks Yogo.

Yeah with the pictures I tried embedding them but the formatting of my post went all weird... I'm sure I'll figure it out next time.

yeah, images seemed too big when I set them, but they then were auto corrected once loaded.

I'm pretty sure I have some part/bits. I have a number of TL-01 suspension parts too that fit many of the early M0 cars. I'll have a look when you post the bits you need and at least being in Brissy they won't take too long to get to you.

yeah, images seemed too big when I set them, but they then were auto corrected once loaded.

I'm pretty sure I have some part/bits. I have a number of TL-01 suspension parts too that fit many of the early M0 cars. I'll have a look when you post the bits you need and at least being in Brissy they won't take too long to get to you.

Thanks mate,

I'll post something up when i get home. I've found most parts online, but to get one bit usually need to get a hole tree of parts and starts to get expensive... And there are a couple of bits i haven't been able to locate, might be someone from other model i can use or modify though.

Good luck with the resto! The Monte Carlo Mini has to be one of Tamiya's most attractive M-size shells. Here's mine, on the M-03:

DSC04749_zpsouphuw6l.jpg

Thanks, I hope mine comes out looks even half as good as yours :)

Sounds like you are in exactly the same boat as me, I need a few bits but /don't need the whole sprue. Let me know if you have any bits left over from the build, I'm more than happy to buy a few pieces that you might not need.