markbt73

RC-related plans/projects for 2016?

I have crazy visions for a WR-02 rally team using stretched iterations of the chassis under Opel Ascona, Audi Quattro, Lancia Rally, and Mitsubishi Pajero bodies (the last one similar to that already done by IBIFTKH)... My RC-related project this year is getting one or two of them running.

The nice thing is that even when shells get expensive, the running gear should not!

Once my father and I finish building a shed and putting a whole lot of extraneous junk in it, thereby making room....

I'm going to make a big desk shelve unit for all my RC gear. It'll have pigeon holes, drawers and whatever else I can think of to put all of my cars/projects in one place......sort of organised.

I also want to get my hands on my boys RCs, which they aren't using right now, clean/fix/restore them, hop them up, then give em back.

This is some of the projects i know about for 2016.

- finish my Procat project, only need to paint the shell

- get my Kyosho Blizzard up and running and ready to showel snow

- finish the Knight customs sand rail

- build the Jamie Booth Egress when i get the kit

- rebuild my Avante 2011 into a black special

- restore my vintage Avante

Update:

- finish my runner vintage Monster Beetle

- Restore my friends dead Brothers Hot Shot II, so he can have on the shelf and use it to run if he wants to.

That should keep me busy for some time

Update. So far none of these finished, but i got my Blizzard running but not ready to showel snow. Instead of thes i did

The Astute Gator

Upgraded my black and red top force'ish runner

Upgrades a df-01 chassis with blue parts

Started mounting interior in my land cruiser CR-01

If i Continue like this and not sticking to the plan i guess it will take a bit longer time to finish the planned projects :P

Like many above I want to spend more time playing and driving rather than collecting and spending,

But in saying that I want to finish my

Marui Samurai

Astute

Super Astute

Clodbuster

Honda MP4/6

Never has someone elses 'to do' list made me this happy, I love everything on your list and look forward to seeing them get completed, keep us updated :D

I am going to restore/freshen up a Hirobo Zerda I just bought from a friend so I can race it at the next Nordic Vintage Challenge in October/November of this year.

So if anyone has (parts of) a Hirobo Zerda cage that they're willing to part with, please contact me ;)

I've not got a lot planned this year........ :P Other than:

Finish building and attempt quality body upgrades on:

Mini Monte Carlo

Porsche GT2

Restore the following (all originals):

Monster Beetle

Frog

Rough Rider

Schumacher CAT XLS

Hunting parts for:

Ligier JS9 Matra

Williams FW07

Cheetah

Look out for more First 100s for the collection

Oh and run the runners

Build a dirt track.

Purchase a couple Avante re-re's.

Build and drive stuff, preferably while having a couple of pints of bitter.

EDIT: + make it to the next nordic vintage challenge.

• Like 2

4 months already?!?

Really?? 😮

May come as a surprise, but,I've achieved,not alot.

Started the OSB 2 build off the list,and that's it.

I've added a Schumacher to get race ready to the list though,(although I think the plan is to cross things off a list,not add to them!)

Been an inactive user for a while so my list isn't too timely :)

2016 is the year of:

An M-05 chassis build (Golf or Monte Carlo - still to decide) - approaching my midlife crisis so this is to get me started with a little track racing at my local club.

Restore the Astute I managed to kill in around '92

Source and build either a Monster Beetle or Vanessa's Lunchbox

Hoping to buy the first and last items this week.

Finish the Lunchbox I'm building for my sons 4th birthday. Had the great idea of building one from bits I had lying around. Of course now, I'm finding I'm missing a few screws, balljoints and other miscellaneous bits, so expect a wanted thread soon!

Finish my basher HPI firestorm.

Run my shelf queen LB's

Get my TL01 drifter to run for more than 10 minutes without thermalling the ESC

Add to the collection.... always wanted a Bullhead and a Monster Beetle :)

On 18/12/2015 at 9:26 PM, XV Pilot said:

There are a few projects I'd like to get to in '16. Whether I will or not remains to be seen, but here they are in order of likelyhood-to-be-completed:

Purchase and paint up a new-shape Honda Civic Type R shell for my FF-03 chassis to go alongside my old-shape FF-01 Castrol Honda Civic.

Purchase and modify some repro GH2 decals for a Mad Bull shell to represent a GH3.

Purchase and paint up a Subaru Impreza shell for my TL-01LA to go alongside my TT-01 Mitsubishi Evo.

Turn a Rising Fighter into a Super Hornet II using Pintopower/Shapeways parts.

Well, we are not even halfway through the year, and I am pleased to be halfway through my list. :)

The Civic Type R shell has been purchased, painted and decalled:

DSC05504_zpsfidvclup.jpg

The Mad Bull-based GH3 concept has been successfully realised, although I used a mix of Mad Bull and Twin Detonator decals for it rather than repro GH2 ones:

DSC05708_zpsvc14yfi8.jpg

I would still like to purchase and paint a Scooby shell for my TL-01LA, but I am thinking of scrapping the Rising Fighter/Super Hornet idea in favour of something a bit different as I already have 2 Grasshoppers, 2 Hornets and the aforementioned GH3 in my fleet, and my wife has a Rising Fighter. I'm thinking about trying to put together a FWD buggy instead.

• Like 4

Find a bigger house!

Make a dent on the 30 or so projects I have.......

Try not to buy more projects

• Like 1

1) Get a house.

2) Get a shed.

3) Install my uprated motor in the Skyline.

4) Install a 2.4GHz RX in the Skyline so that I can run it again.

5) Find somewhere to use these cars, and maybe add a properly fast lipo car to the fleet so that I can try racing.

• Like 1

No plans as such, but lots of ideas...

I've built two Honda City Turbos so far this year, and I've got ideas for more. And an original Willy's Wheeler body to finish.

I keep promising myself that I will make some more bits and pieces for Willy's workshop and build it into a proper diorama base for photos.

There are also four or five other ideas knocking around. Two require scratch built bodies, another would be a heavily modified body on a modded chassis, and the last would be a heavily modded body on a scratch built chassis. Plus a couple of trailers.

These will keep me busy through this year and probably well into next. So I need to get organised and get on with it! (And preferably get a better job, but that's another story.) 

On 4/15/2016 at 3:50 PM, Percymon said:

Well I can happily report that on my short list of items from December I am not doing tooooo badly :D

> Optima not progressed, but now have a re-re bumper and front guard on route - that should spur me on to get the shell sorted ;)

> Towmator - no progress :(

> CPE Clod - complete :D:D:D

> High Lift - built, complete, finished :D

Spares sales - my other half would say the piles not moved much, but what has gone has generated funds to progress projects

Not bought much ? Bought three / four this year..

> CC-01 kit thats built , complete and running :D

> vintage Traxxas Bandit, that once its sporting new front wheels, new decals and a new rear wing will be sold.

> and a vintage Hilux, well who wouldn't !

> bought the relevant MF-01 sprues to add to exisiting M chassis spares to build a MF-01X chassis - thats built too !

In my defence I've parted with a Terra Scorcher, Frog, Wild One and Wild willy 2

I seem to be making progress on the 'arrivals' rather than the backlog lol!

Vintage Hilux done (need to update build thread with final images)

MF-01X almost done - chassis complete, ready to run; body painted, just decals and magnetic body posts to sort

Bandit - still waiting on rear wing (back order with Modelsport / Traxxas so that ones not my fault ;)  )

Think Towmater needs to be back on the bench next, get that one finished off (loads of fiddly styrene work to do though :(:(  )

2016 was the year I went slightly Narnia on the whole Tamiya thing. Which has made the red mist of nib descend more than once, so I thought it would be a good idea for me to see how I did regarding the plans I set.

On 22.4.2016 at 7:02 PM, Robert5000 said:

Build a dirt track.

Yes. And also no. It is driveable, and fun, but there is something missing. As I've said before I need to make a thread on track building to get pointers, feedback and bright ideas from all you great people on here who know a ton more about this stuff than I do. I want to have most of it planned before the snow disappears in April so I can get cracking as early as possible. 

Purchase a couple Avante re-re's.

Success! The hunt after, and the cost of, the Avante's have taught me a valuable lesson. Thus I bought four re-re Egress while they were affordable. So I guess the hunt for re-re Avante's damaged me more than it taught me.

Build and drive stuff, preferably while having a couple of pints of bitter.

I did! And after bleeding out on my work bench a million times I eventually learned that I have no business wielding a sharp knife to cut parts off the sprue after a handful of pints. 

EDIT: + make it to the next nordic vintage challenge.

I didn't. So that's a majestic failure on my part. I do have my sights set on the next one i April though, so all is not lost. 

• Like 2

Good point - how did I do..?

Less runners: that didn't happen.  Got lots of runners.  Can't actually remember how many new runners I commissioned in 2016 but I'd probably be surprised if I counted.  I took a few old cars out of action for refurb or project work, but probably not as many as I put in.

Get to more events: didn't really happen either.  The year began with a really good Iconic RC meet oop north, but after that, every meet fell on a weekend when I was busy.  Quite disappointing.  I made it to the Iconic Revival, which was definitely worth the journey, but missed everything else.  OK, alright, I did get to a couple of tractor truck meets.  By the time the crawling season started up I was flat out with home renovations so I doubt I'll do any crawling at all this year.  Oh, and I've recently managed to get along to a drift club some evenings, but it's a 2 hr drive from home, so a big commitment even if it doesn't tie up a weekend.

Think about my shelf displays: check.  I did a whole lot of thinking.  I didn't do much arranging.  Also, despite planning a family for several years, the wife decided within a month of getting pregnant that actually, me having the big bedroom as my hobby room wasn't such a good idea after all, so I've been temporarily relocated to the old lounge until we get an extension built.  After which I'll be going into an even smaller bedroom.  So I've had to be much more efficient with my shelf displays.  I have plans, but right now I'm so busy preparing for baby that I don't have time to make the shelves - and I don't see myself getting any extra time in 2017 :D

Get my HotShot set up:  OK, so I put in the TrackStar Turbo setup.  Wow!  I can't believe fast that is.  Running on DF03 tyres and HPI wheels it looks the biz too.  Campaigned it in the Iconic Revival but retired from the C final due to a loose steering servo.  Later in the year I fitted a RadShape 4-shock conversion but still haven't got around to setting up any shocks for it so it's technically a non-runner at the mo.

Make my Blitzer perform better: I put some stiffer shocks on, but I don't think it got run since my last update.  It always was my favourite runner but I haven't had much in the way of running this year.

Sort my paint booth: done, more or less.  The challenge is keeping it clean and clear so I can use it.  I probably did more painting in 2016 than any other year and most of it came out well.

Finish a bunch of projects: my fail is that I tend to start new ones.  I didn't really finish much in 2016.  I suppose Mod Clod is pretty much done now, although the servo mounts keep bending and my batteries can't keep up with demand from the twin motors on 4s.  Lots of nice projects to finish in 2017 if I ever get the time.

Keep on racing: I kind of gave up mid-2016, just had so much to do at home and wasn't enjoying finishing last as the only M03 driver in a class of M05s.  Despite all the money I spend on NIBs in 2016, I didn't acquire an M05 to race.  I'm enjoying not being tied to a race series now.  OTOH, I'm making a point of going drifting as much as I can - but that 2 hr journey is going to be very difficult once the baby comes along.

Get into tractor trucks: done, and love it.  If I had the time I'd go twice monthly to local events.  Unfortunately I don't, I haven't been to a club since September.  I sincerely doubt there will be time before the baby is born as I still have so much to do, but the wife has said she won't stop me going once the baby arrives (in fact once it's a few months old I don't see why it can't come with me and give her a break for a while :D ) but we'll see what happens, the reality may be very different from the fantasy!

Keep my workspace clear of junk: didn't work so well given I had to move rooms, the last part of my hobby room that needs organising is my RC workbench.  Once that's done I'll be able to pick projects up and put them down at will.  That's the plan.  The reality is that I pick a project up, have to stop due to time constraints, and don't put it away - so it gets full of dust and bits get lost.  I'm also doing more work in the workshop than before, so things are getting left up there too.  Lack of storage space and lack of time are barriers to packing things away neatly after working on stuff.  It feels a shame to cut a rare 60-minute work time down to 30 minutes if I have to allow for 15 minutes of setup and teardown on every session.

The above may sound very negative, but all-in, it was a good year.  I lost some old friends (my first LiPo packs) and I missed out on some events because I was so busy, but the weather was kind when I did have time to go out and the few events I managed were excellent, well-organised and friendly.  Oh, and my pit-camper conversion works like a charm.

I hope you all have a fantastic year of RC in 2017 :)

• Like 1

2016 was a pretty quiet year for RC for me, sort of lost interest in many longer term projects as evidenced below..

On 12/18/2015 at 9:17 AM, Percymon said:

I need to finish some long standing projects..

• paint and decal the Optima shell, completes my rebuild
  • lots of styrene work to finish the Towmator shell for my lunchie - started this 18 months ago :(
  • finish my CPE brushless Clod project - I have a used Bullhead shell, but think i'll end up with a C10 long bed lexan one
  • build the high lift chassis, so that i have something to put the shell that i painted a year ago on !

And probably the most needed part is to sell of a lot of the spares and ancilliaries that I seem to have accumulated in the last 5 years - i was a bit too keen bidding on items and got more motors and parts than anyone needs lol!

And continue to not hit the 'checkout now' button on the RB One R Pro kit I've had in my shopping basket for 2 days !

Optima - no progress !

Towmator - no progress !   In fact JennyMo built her version in a 6th of the time mine has been stalled :(

CPE Brushless Clod - woohoo finished, bought  prepainted Killerbody Rubik  lexan shell in the end as it was decent fit for the wheelbase and chassis width

High Lift - another one finished.  Quite surprised looking back that i did it in 2016 (feels longer ago!)

Sold off some models, NIBs and some spares too - plenty left :rolleyes: 

Other notable items I suppose would be..

> buying a vintage Hi-Lux, full strip, clean, polish, rebuild and repair / repaint of the body - very pleased that i finally ticked the vintage 3speed box ;)

> finishing my Terra Scorcher (sold to Wez-Li) and a second CR-01

> building the MF-01X based Porsche 959  (and a second chassis as a Skoda Fabia vRS rally)

> the fact my only other buys were a DT-03 kit (sold for a bit of profit lol!), a part built Kumamon Tractor (completed and sold on), my first CC-01  kit (built but not run), a vintage Traxxas Bandit (easy clean up) and a Manta Ray project (new body waiting paint and decals this week).

To some that might not look like too bad a list, but given my previous years were typically 15-20 models built / refurb'd etc thats a quiet year.

And i'm currently not tempted to buy any more projects or NIB kits - good news lol!

So a quiet year all told

• Like 2

Hmm.

There were 8 things on my 2016 RC to-do list.

I did none of them, but bought a brand-new kit and then half-finished it.

I am a disgrace.

:(

• Like 2

I think I'm suffering with big tyre addiction. Never into monster trucks until...........

I was given a lunchbox as a present and one thing that stood out was the tyres. Loved them, proper big chunky rubber circles,and the smell ha. So now my sights have been turned onto the Clod. I opened the box and, wow! Massive tyres. They even smell like real tyres. I'm not sure what's next. Maybe it's like all these things I'll keep looking for the bigger tyre truck until it gets out of control.

I've bought the clod kit with a specific target in mind. I've started building it and realised a lot of the kit I'm not using such as single servo links, radio deck tray, body, bumpers, transimission guards.

im going for an old school monster truck look, nice and basic look that sits lower using a proline body with big black wheels. So far will be

1/ Single, shorter oil shocks per corner

2/ dual servo, mounted on each axle on CPE plates running to receiver through a Y lead fitted with a reverser

3/ dual lipo battery to dual esc running a Y lead to receiver

4/ running stock silver cans for slightly more speed gained through twin esc/batteries

5/ some minor chassis brace plates

6/ attempting to turn plated clod wheels satin black (wish me luck)

working out how to secure 2 lipos inside safely is one headache along with the wiring. The biggest headache is avoiding looking at the financials. What a money bag this is going to be :-00

21 hours ago, StrokerBoy said:

Hmm.

There were 8 things on my 2016 RC to-do list.

I did none of them, but bought a brand-new kit and then half-finished it.

I am a disgrace.

:(

Yippeeeee! Im not the only one...I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE!

• Like 1

On 12/17/2015 at 2:40 PM, markbt73 said:

Just curious as to what others have lined up for the new year. I currently have 4 big projects that I'm planning on. In no particular order:

Fox restoration: mildly modified original Fox, will be about 50% new parts. Not going for pristine shelfer, just a nice restored car to run now and then.

Futaba FX-10: this one will be about 80% new parts, and as close to from-the-manual stock as I can get it without going insane looking for parts. It will also be box-art. It will also be run.

Bitsa scaler: currently building the chassis. Body will be a Pro-Line Jeep Cherokee, painted like the Fratelli's getaway car from The Goonies (black with bullet holes, basically). Not going crazy on the detailing, because this will be a serious runner.

RC4WD Trailfinder 2 re-body: not a Toyota fan, so I'm building a new body for my TF2. It will be aluminum, like my Land Rover. Leaning towards a Jeep Commando, but not sure yet.

When the weather breaks, I also plan to re-vamp my running area in the side yard. That gravel is murder on chassis undersides; it has to go.

How about you? What does 2016 have in store?

Huh. I didn't do too badly!

Fox and FX-10 are done, Fox needs a new body still.

Goonies Jeep ended up on my old beat-up XC chassis, but it's done.

Trailfinder got sold, along with a ton of other stuff, to fund another project: my '71 MGB GT.

But I did start another scratchbuilt scale chassis, based on old TLT axles.

This year, it's all about using what I have. No buying (other than paint or other materials), no selling.

On 21/04/2016 at 7:02 PM, Grastens said:

I have crazy visions for a WR-02 rally team using stretched iterations of the chassis under Opel Ascona, Audi Quattro, Lancia Rally, and Mitsubishi Pajero bodies (the last one similar to that already done by IBIFTKH)... My RC-related project this year is getting one or two of them running.

The nice thing is that even when shells get expensive, the running gear should not!

I set low standards, and attained them!

2nvw07k.jpg

:D

Please don't ask me to do anything this year!