Sign in to follow this  
Smidsy

Newbie guide to current chassis

I've just got back into this hobby in the last couple of weeks. So far I've acquired a Grasshopper 2. More of which in another thread soon, and a Ferrari 360 TA04 Chassis. I'm looking at buying a new kit 4X4 buggy kit, from the current models. Want daily basher, but not something too basic. My product knowledge is 25 year out of date. Looking for recommendations.

Craig

I would still recommend a DB01 - Durga or Baldre (I think the Baldre is discontinued, but the body shell is still available).

If you can stretch to the DB01 RRR, all the better!

- J

Welcome to TC, Smidsy! :)

I'd suggest having a look at Blackholesun's Tamiya R/C car chassis compendiums, which he recently brought up to date with Tamiya's new released kits:

Tamiya Off-Road chassis: http://www.blackholesun.fr/en/39-en/tamiya/201-tamiya-off-road-chassis

Tamiya On-Road chassis: http://www.blackholesun.fr/en/39-en/tamiya/93-tamiya-on-road-chassis

Welcome to TC, Smidsy! :)

I'd suggest having a look at Blackholesun's Tamiya R/C car chassis compendiums, which he recently brought up to date with Tamiya's new released kits:

Tamiya Off-Road chassis: http://www.blackholesun.fr/en/39-en/tamiya/201-tamiya-off-road-chassis

Tamiya On-Road chassis: http://www.blackholesun.fr/en/39-en/tamiya/93-tamiya-on-road-chassis

That's pretty awesome, though I have a quibble with the TXT chassis section: It's Juggernaut derived not Clod derived.

Out of the current range, there are two that stand out as possibilities - the TT-02B (MS for the best one) or DB-01 (RRR for the best one).

The DB-01RRR is a highly capable race machine, but requires a bit more care and experience with the build and maintenance, while the TT-02BMS is a good basher with some race potential, very easy to build and maintain.

Agreed with XV Pilot. I would look at the TT02B MS It's a great car for the cash and a good basher. The DB01 is a great buggy, more of a race car and that is reflected in the price and complexity of the build.

Thanks everyone for the replies, and GregM for a very useful link. There are a couple of TT02B MS kits, with a Dual Ridge body. Listed on EBay.

Craig

A standard DB01 is still a very good choice for a basher. Pretty tough car. It's a basher car that can quite easily go racing if you want it to.

Lot of plastic in the standard TT02B. The MS has lots of upgrades, definitely looks superior to the base car and very good value.

- J

Remember the TT-02B needs its diff parts to be upgraded to DF-02 specs to keep it from destroying gears. Otherwise, it looks like a fine car for fun driving.

There are some threads on TC describing the upgrade.

Just an update on this. Ended up buying a mint condition Neo Scorcher. With Tamiya Radio gear for £60, Will be uprating certain part of the chassis as I get time and funds allow. Really have got back into this hobby. Now up to 6 kits. This was a strange one as I bought it, got it home. Decided I didn't like it. So I stuck it on eBay, and it just sat on my shelf. Then I decided to take it for a spin. Jumped it off a few kerbs etc. Nothing too much as It was for sale, and I didn't want to bend it, Well now I really like it, and Im keeping it. Just changed the motor for a slightly quicker HPI one I had.

Craig :)

Can you change the shocks on these to increase the ride height? That chassis does look close to the floor.

The shock towers and suspension arms take 3mm mounting hardware which is pretty much standard for 1/10 applications, so you have a wide range of shock options available.

• Like 1

Just an update on this. Ended up buying a mint condition Neo Scorcher. With Tamiya Radio gear for £60, Will be uprating certain part of the chassis as I get time and funds allow. Really have got back into this hobby. Now up to 6 kits. This was a strange one as I bought it, got it home. Decided I didn't like it. So I stuck it on eBay, and it just sat on my shelf. Then I decided to take it for a spin. Jumped it off a few kerbs etc. Nothing too much as It was for sale, and I didn't want to bend it, Well now I really like it, and Im keeping it. Just changed the motor for a slightly quicker HPI one I had.

Of all the rigs I have, the TT-02B Pink Special edition Neo Scorcher I have in my fleet (technically my daughters car) is by far the most fun to drive. You can check out my thread in the Build It area. I would suggest getting the GPM metal diff upgrade kit. We've already had to replace the diff gear and prop gear due to sheared teeth.

I agree with you that ground clearance is a bit on the shallow side for hard bashing but it's a buggy after all, not a SCT.

Yes buggies are meant to be very low. Correct droop and damper oil settup for your track should keep the chassis from bottoming (unless the surface is really rough).