Flerbizky

King Cab Diff replacement. Super Astute TTC or Thorp?

I have an almost unused King Cab on the shelf - with a busted diff. So - if I we're to shell out and replace it - what do the TC Massive recon?. Should I wait and see if a Super Astute TTC turns up on the Bay of e, or would a Thorp be an equally good option (these can be found)

Massive Merry Xmess to all - and all the best for 2016!

I suggest a complete transmission replacement with some new and stronger one.

You can go with Tamiya from Dyna Storm (expensive and hard to find) or 201X 2wd buggy.

The alternative is Traxxas or other brands.

Another solution is the Lethal Weapon 2 belt transmission with slippery clutch but is very expensive and needs some works in my opinion.

If you want to stay on original transmission both solutions are a patch but you will always have problems.

Thorp diff is a solution for the differential but you will need the aluminum brace for the iddle gear. Anyway with hot motors the gears will wear quickly or will break easly.

Same problem with the TTC, you will not break the gears thanks to the slippery clutch but the little teeth will wear very quickly with the dust because the transmission case is open to sand and debris.

Some of my solutions:

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=4709&sid=24

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=52319&sid=24

Max

Thanks hugely Max. Was hoping to do something "easy" that would just let me enjoy the jumping quality of the KC. Somehow, I must be an idiot, because even back in the days when it was a current item, I never managed to get the diff working properly - even with a stock silvercan. (Current one has a 9t BL in it - and I followed all the how-to's regarding diff maintenance). Still blew up on the first run (over a year ago).

Wondering if I could transplant a Blitzer transmission?. My Blitzer Beetle has a 9t BL as well - and has taken all the abuse I've thrown at it. And just in case, I do have a couple of spare transmissions (:

Cheers

I suggest to replicate the sub chassis plate and mount a totally new transmission.

I already suggested the possibilities and Blitzer transmission is not in these.

Max

If you go for the Thorp diff then you can pick up the alloy idle gear holder from Stormer Hobbies online

I have both of these waiting to go into my Kingcab once I get time to restore it

Be careful though!!

The Thorp diff comes in either 32 or 48 pitch. To use it with the standard Tamiya King Cab gear set, I believe it's the 32 pitch one you need.

As my NOS Thorp diff is probably thirty odd years old I'm trying to pluck up the courage to dismantle it to clean and re -grease but the instructions are pretty vague and I've not had much luck getting any advice on rebuilding it.

Thorpe ball diff and alloy iddle gear holder will not save you from gear breackages.

The KC has not the slippery clutch.

I repeat: find some modern complete transmission case and replace directly all.

Max

If you go for the Thorp diff then you can pick up the alloy idle gear holder from Stormer Hobbies online

I actually have an old RC10 6-gear trans in my King Cab and it works pretty well.

On 12/23/2015 at 2:02 PM, kontemax said:

I suggest a complete transmission replacement with some new and stronger one.

You can go with Tamiya from Dyna Storm (expensive and hard to find) or 201X 2wd buggy.

The alternative is Traxxas or other brands.

I have just picked up a Monster Racer and am expecting the diff to be junk as its currently riding on Blackfoot tyres.  After a bit of Googling I found this thread and it got me thinking about what 2WD gearboxes would fit.  For a cheap and cheerful option I might give this a go...

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=178617

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311479444165?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262446433721?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=561248429606&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

For £15 for the gearbox and £15 for some fibre sheet its got to be worth a punt :)

Thoughts Max as you definitely seem to have explored all the avenues?!

I believe yes, and I also believe that the 15 GBP transmission is a good choice.

If you want to do a good job you will totally replace the FRP subchassis plate.

Max

Sorry I know this is an old topic but.. I bought a KC new and had Diff issues from day 1. I initially broke the diff halves from over tightening it trying to get it to stop slipping. After going through a bunch of sets of diff halves I finally gave up and fixed the diff one last time and set it the truck aside for the future.

A few years later I bought a new bottom plate and mounted a used Traxxas trans I had laying around. It took a little hacking of the Traxxas trans case but I made it work. That thing took all the abuse I could throw at it and never complained a bit. 

Of course I'm also the same guy that broke the 3 speed in his Brusier and swapped in a locked Traxxas trans sitting sideways on a custom plate. Tamaiya Faithfuls hated me but it worked. :)

12 hours ago, racer1 said:

Sorry I know this is an old topic but.. I bought a KC new and had Diff issues from day 1. I initially broke the diff halves from over tightening it trying to get it to stop slipping. After going through a bunch of sets of diff halves I finally gave up and fixed the diff one last time and set it the truck aside for the future.

A few years later I bought a new bottom plate and mounted a used Traxxas trans I had laying around. It took a little hacking of the Traxxas trans case but I made it work. That thing took all the abuse I could throw at it and never complained a bit. 

Of course I'm also the same guy that broke the 3 speed in his Brusier and swapped in a locked Traxxas trans sitting sideways on a custom plate. Tamaiya Faithfuls hated me but it worked. :)

We need pictures of said Bruiser hacks (:

If I have pics they would be on film. Said Bruiser hacks happened when I was young and stupid and didn't know the value of these things. At the time it was just a "Toy".  I want to say I did this around 1995-1996.

But in all honestly I would do it again as the truck made for a great runner. Full time 4x4 without having to mess with the 3-speed.  I just wouldn't butcher up the truck as badly as I did the first time.