Sign in to follow this  
Smidsy

Mad Fighting Grasshopper

So few weeks ago I bought a Grasshopper 2. It was in a bit of state. Needing new wheels and tyres, steering arms, lower wishbones. Then I went and snapped one of the rear body pins off the chassis. Yes it had a roll over. After a bit of searching, I realised it would be cheaper to buy a Rising Fighter kit, instead of ordering all the bits I needed. Couldn't find a new Grasshopper 2 body other than one in the US. That was £70 including shipping. Even if I hadn't got lumbered with customs charges. So I picked up a Madbull body for under £10. So this is what I ended up with.

20151224_165602_zpsx0rocft4.jpg

20151224_171825_zpsvqufjcx8.jpg

What I've tried to do is take a picture at each stage of the build manual.

20151224_175915_zpscw64lxv9.jpg

20151224_181308_zpshj4qertn.jpg

20151224_182421_zpsa62hmwls.jpg

20151224_183305_zpsiqxswr6c.jpg

20151224_184127_zpsusqt6dcf.jpg

I've used the Grashopper 2 rear end, including uprated dampers.

20151224_184127_zpsusqt6dcf.jpg

Adaptors to fit the Rising Fighter wheels.

20151224_191225_zpsay5f4cov.jpg

With the body just placed on. Body will be getting a paint job in the next few days.

20151224_192925_zpsjfkzlgqi.jpg

Craig

• Like 3

Yeah you can't beat the price of the rising fighter kit. What's the plan with the shell? How well did the mad bull shell fit?

Yeah you can't beat the price of the rising fighter kit. What's the plan with the shell? How well did the mad bull shell fit?

Still not fitted the madbull shell yet. Been running it around with the rising fighter shell. As in the event of a roll over, it protects the pins.

Craig

Started spraying up the rising fighter shell today. This will be my practice run, for the Madbull body.

20151230_212458_zpscu3vgejv.jpg

Tonight I decided to sort how I was going to fix the Madbull body. Rear was easy. Just a case of using the old Grasshoppe 2 body. As a guide to drilling the Madbull body.

20151231_221927_zpsazkpbxha.jpg

Placing the one over the other, I nervously drilled the new body shell. Worked perfectly. As you can see.

20151231_222944_zpsrp0dijko.jpg

Next I had to work out what to do with front mounting. Looking at the three bodies they are all mounted differently.

20151231_222644_zpsamn0clnj.jpg

As I want to be able to swap between the Madbull and Rising Fighter bodies easily, I decided to go with a single screw fixing. Did think about using the Geashopper mounting as I had one spare, but having to keep changing the mounting every time seemed too much hassle.

20151231_224151_zpsw70yf5c6.jpg

Nice build. I've two Grasshopper 2 shells. Interested? Let me know!

If I'd kept it original I'd probably have bought one from you. Got the Madbull body nicely on there now though. Thanks for the offer anyway though.

So yesterday I tried out the paint job I had in mind. What do you think?

20160102_120000_zpsqhopwcys.jpg

An interesting scheme, kinda eye-catching but also kinda camo. I can clearly see the car, but orientation is a challenge.

Liking the paint job, makes me think a little of the video for Muse's "Supermassive Black Hole"

• Like 1

Well I wanted a black and yellow colour scheme, after seeing the black edition Grasshopper. Came up with this. Going to do the wheels in yellow too. Not sure to paint or try to dye them.

I'd suggest trying the dye first. Dyed wheels don't show wear as easily as painted ones, and you can always paint over the dye if it doesn't turn out to your liking.

• Like 1

I'd suggest trying the dye first. Dyed wheels don't show wear as easily as painted ones, and you can always paint over the dye if it doesn't turn out to your liking.

That's what I did. And the results were far better than I hoped. They look spot on. Will get some pics up. As its nearly finished now.

I really like the black and yellow.

How did you get the yellow to be so bright ontop of black?

I have tried that in the past and got a nasty dull yellow\green colour.

I really like the black and yellow.

How did you get the yellow to be so bright ontop of black?

I have tried that in the past and got a nasty dull yellow\green colour.

The yellow is from a Tamiya spray can. Sprayed it into a plastic bag. Then used a small brush to flick it on the body. That's how it came out. Twice, as I have done both Rising Fighter and Madbull shells.

Craig

It's about time I updated this build as it's actually now finished. Got a few others I've built too, but not started a thread for. So here goes....

As I said I went with Rit dye for the wheels and they came out perfect.

20160108_160132_zps8cuhbgjo.jpg

On the car

20160108_223706_zps0bowzvbf.jpg

A couple of weeks ago I managed to bought the remains of another Grashopper 2. It had been fitted with CVA shocks at the rear. So I replaced the ones I had originally fitted. Got another use for these anyway. One of our members sold me a nice NOS set of front ones so it now has CVA shocks all round. Finally got round to painting the driver too!

So here it is all finished.

IMG_0035_zps4bvncyeg.jpg

IMG_0034_zpslgbzslyg.jpg

IMG_0037_zpshilbmvsz.jpg

IMG_0039_zpsz08fnse3.jpg

This will sit next to my latest purchase when it's built. What was the original inspiration for this build. Black edition Grasshopper. Had to really didn't I.

Craig

• Like 4

I've always really liked the GH II / Mad Bull looks and I must say, that Jackson Pollak style paint job is outstanding! What a great job you've done on this.

• Like 1

Took this to our local track the other day. Interesting is the only way I can describe it. Going to have to adjust the rear shocks as they are too stiff. Rear end bounces all over the place. More so than when I had the HP suspension kit on the rear.

Craig

Took this to our local track the other day. Interesting is the only way I can describe it. Going to have to adjust the rear shocks as they are too stiff. Rear end bounces all over the place. More so than when I had the HP suspension kit on the rear.

Craig

Too bouncy wont be the springs, it will be the shock oil too thin. Try a thicker oil, it will slow the dampers rebound down :)

Love the build though.

James

:)