mike_o

6WD 6x6 WR-01 / Wild Dagger project

That's very cool.

Why are you testing it on flat concrete when you have huge mounds of dirt over the road ? ;) 

Lets see some off road hill climbing :D

Hehe, that was tempting, but it's still spending a lot of time on the work bench, so I prefer to keep it clean for now. However, the promised winter has arrived, so (from the comfort of my sofa and the LCD TV) I took it for spin round the house:

I now run the Wild Dagger Spike Tires on the 2 front axles and the slightly larger HK wheels on the rear axle. Interestingly, the snow stuck intensely to the Tamiya wheels, whereas the HK ones let go of it...:huh:

As posted in the "What have you done today" thread, the small, brushed 365 Mabuchis doesnt have quite the torque required and I cant drop the gearing anymore (running 14T pinions for the 18/20T layout), so the 3536mm 910KV outrunners are going in shortly. Depending in the load, they'll provide 10-20 times the power of the 365 cans.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mad Ax said:

That looks great - good work!  What shocks are you using?  They seem to work well in the video.  Love to see that independent articulation.  In fact the whole thing looks better than I imagined it would, I might have to build a copycat project in the future :D

It actually reminds me of an idea I had for an amphibious RC some time ago - could be a good starting point ;)

Thank you. The shocks are HobbyKing 85mm TrackStars.

85034_1__4.jpg

They are perfect in length for the short suspension arms, and they are nice quality, although not quite so smooth as the RCMart ones I use in the shortened wheelbase Dagger. The latter only comes i packages of 4 pcs, while the TrackStars are stocked in pairs in the EU warehouse.

Using the L-shaped ALU profile turned out to be a really good idea. It's light, rigid when fully assembled, and very flexible to work with. I even did some of the joints with double sided foam tape to avoid weakening the beams (and out of laziness, of course).

This is what the transmitted look like (almost, the original PAL baseband signal is better than compressed, digitized video recorded and required for YT upload)

• Like 2

After putting more load on the vehicle, the 2.3 to 3.2mm plastic "adaptors" (27MHz antenna tubing) went soft, so I had to mount the 35mm outrunners after swapping their 4mm shafts for stepped 4/3.2mm shafts instead. It then turned out that the "one ESC for several, sync'ed BL motors" didn't work in real life. I had tried it on the desk several times, and I think it will work on a plane, but I believe that the mechanical coupling (via the ground) between the motors prevents them from sync'ing up nicely.

I had a couple of succesful/synced runs, and it does go like stink now, Will be ordering a bunch of cheap HK 30A ESCs to get on with the show.

I liberated an bunch of ESCs from the other cars to get the Stolly going while the snow is still here:

Sorry for the poor camerawork, but it's kinda difficult to drive and shoot at the same time...

• Like 1

you have me wanting to build a 6x6 now, going to have to dig out those old Axial axles I have sitting around and make them usefull!

Winter seems to be over, and I never finished the build :( (body missing). Possible hibernation or sell off to somebody with more time than myself? The chassis works very well and is the most terrain/snow crunching Tamiya build I've ever done.

Any takers?

Rolling chassis with 6 x 135mm wheels, nice shocks, dog bones, drive cups, suspension, and servos. Fully ball raced, just add your preferential motors and ESCs. (and wheel spacers / Wild Dagger rims for best turn radius). 150 EUR + shipping. Stock parts value at least twice the asking price. Everything as new.

Add 100EUR to get 3 pcs 3536mm 910kv motors and 30A ESCs and it's receiver ready. Also new parts for this build.