kasparov

What's your favorite Vintage Transmitter?

On that $5 Tamtech, you bet it would be great for parts. I spent at least $5 on just the battery door to replace a snapped or lost one, so add the known to fail battery stick holder and the necessary spare ariel and you have a wonderful spares donor no matter what MHz you are running.

Sorry you haven't seen the MONSTER Magnum in Norway, they have been popping up relatively cheaply if you consider they STARTED at $250 BITD and topped out over $300 with servo choices and the AM/FM/PCM differences and ESC choices.

The trick with the slant battery holder is to cut it in half ahead of time. If u cut it half at the 3/4 mark, the cells will hold it together and it won't shatter.

SAY WHAT?? I need to see a photo of what you mean. My slant battery holders are cracked at the terminal ends most likely. It is why, and humidity here is crazy, I don't leave batteries in ANY transmitter anymore, not even for a month.

The idea is that once cut along the pink line, the springs pressing against the cells will no longer be pulling against the plastic of the battery holder (which is why they break I think). If it's cut in this area, the two halvess should still clamp onto the cells and install/remove as a single unit. You will just have to press the unit inward and compress the springs when you install the battery cover.

I haven't actually tried this yet, but it was my plan when I replace my next one.

Slant%20Cut_zpsvhemfjkg.jpg

YIKES, nice idea, but I don't know that I have the guts to do it. I can see how it would alleviate some of the pressure the springs endure, and if you were to remove the battery lid, all pressure should be released from everywhere and no more cracks or broken parts when it is just sitting there on the shelf waiting for the next run time. For me, I don't run things very much at all, pity really, I just haven't found the place and the time yet. I hope that changes this year.

Those cartridges are less than $6 shipped. Not really much at risk.

You're right, I have one, maybe two here that are already cracked, so I would be prone to hacking one of those first, use sturdy glue at the end that is cracked and see if your idea is worth a new one going under the knife. In due time, all things in due time. I sure wish I was an aristocratic hobby type and just had much time to do what I wanted and no worries about the yard, the house, the dog, the real cars...etc etc etc :P

But how do you plan on removing the inside piece when it's time to remove the batteries? Can you just shake the batteries and top half out? I thought it was a tight fit in there. I suppose you could tie a string to it and pull it out.

Like I said I haven't tried it yet. I do know the fit can be adjusted by loosening the screws in the handle of the controller though. I had to do that to fit some 2500mah NiMh AA's before. Anyways, I think it's worth a shot. at least.

I always used a Futaba Magnum Sport until I started racing then guys with better radios would step on my signal, so I picked up a used Jr FM PCM. That was a great radio.

My favourite vintage transmitter, even though it was technically not so good:

12390982_10153180196597407_1523170855452

I think I know where Sony PlayStation got it's controller inspiration from now...

Quite frankly I doubt you'll find anything as cool as this 1985 Futaba 4WD transmitter for a vintage Toyota Bruiser! :D

B20HuR5.jpg

• Like 1

You are correct on that one Erich, I haven't ever seen anything quite that cool. Now I get to start searching for one.

It is awesome thats for sure (find me one to please Chris!)

..but my goodness would it feel unco to operate, i want one!

You would have to have a strap otherwise how would you hold it?

It is awesome thats for sure (find me one to please Chris!)

..but my goodness would it feel unco to operate, i want one!

You would have to have a strap otherwise how would you hold it?

I sure hope I find one myself, but you never know. and well, you HOLD IT LIKE A MAN. :lol: I would attempt to hold it firmly with my left hand only using my left thumb to operate the gear and throttle changes and then steer with the right, but you see, I held my Futaba Wheelie brown box in one hand ages ago without any help, just cradled the whole thing in my left hand, operated the throttle with my left first finger and steered with the right few fingers. It was a chore, but made do and had fun. Practice, PRACTICE and practice. I would suppose that the slower the motor was, the more time to react would be there.

Here's a couple of SWEET Futaba AM 4-wheeldrivers from the very good old days:

Futaba 4WD transmitters from the early mid 80s photo futaba 4wd vintage_zpsqmgwhuzd.jpg

The specific T4L in 4WD 27mhz guise kicks it real good! :lol:

Haven't seen much of these models, sadly.

For me it has to me my  Techniplus mk3. I also had a Mk5 (chrome one) back in the day but never liked it as much as my Mk3 that i still use to this day (unless i need multi-channel)

• Like 1

For me three sets spring to mind

Futaba M series -  the first hobby grade controller I ever used, two channels, metal casing and a lovely fetching shade of late seventies brown. I'm pretty sure that my dad's old one is still up in my parents loft, I'll need to have a wee look to see if I can find it. 

Futaba Attack R - when I started getting into RC properly this was the transmitter my folks bought me, over the years I've picked up a few more of them but all of them have the battery tray cover missing. One of these days I'll get around to replacing them.

Ko propo vantage esprit II - after spending years with basic stick transmitters this was a revelation, multiple model memories, just about every adjustment you could think of for the time and really comfortable to use. Convert it to 2.4ghz and you don't really need any other radio for most applications. 

3 hours ago, Supercoolnothing said:

For me three sets spring to mind

Futaba M series -  the first hobby grade controller I ever used, two channels, metal casing and a lovely fetching shade of late seventies brown. I'm pretty sure that my dad's old one is still up in my parents loft, I'll need to have a wee look to see if I can find it. 

Futaba Attack R - when I started getting into RC properly this was the transmitter my folks bought me, over the years I've picked up a few more of them but all of them have the battery tray cover missing. One of these days I'll get around to replacing them.

Ko propo vantage esprit II - after spending years with basic stick transmitters this was a revelation, multiple model memories, just about every adjustment you could think of for the time and really comfortable to use. Convert it to 2.4ghz and you don't really need any other radio for most applications. 

On that Futaba Attack R, let me see a photo of that, and the battery door, perhaps my "junkyard" has one in it.

...Just found this thread...

My first RC gear was a Macgregor IV, I got it 2nd hand in 1979..went in a glider, then my Porsche 935, then another Power plane, and finally my Astute, in 1990...

it went U/S at this point, so I replaced it with a Techniplus Mk V...still got one, a very nice radio....

But for looks and build quality, the early Futaba Attack-R took a lot of beating...I got one 2nd hand, it had been in a Hornet, but it went into one of my gliders...very good range, far too good for a bashing buggy!

The late 80s to early 90s was a golden age of 27 MHz gear...built to last!!