twisted

I want to mad a Grasshopper

Hello all,

Like many my 1st rc hobby grade wise was a Grasshopper. I have a restored vintage one that sits on a shelf but I was thinking of getting a re re for a project. I primarily race modern cars and I do not fool to much around with the older ones but thats going to change.

I recently seen a Grasshopper on ebay that was heavily modded and honestly that was what got me interested in building one again. My goals are to make the suspension the best it can be with what is out there. Can you guys point me to some pics,manufacturers, 3-d printers etc that can help me make this happen.

Thanks George

Hi George,

You really have to check Pintopower's custom parts on Shapeways.

Have a good one and don't forget to share some pictures of that car when you get it :)

• Like 1

Yes pinto power is the guy to go to for parts to upgrade the grasshopper. I'm sure he was working on parts for the rear suspension too so each side works independently rather than having a pivot point at the chassis. Amazing stuff. Don't know where he's up to with it though.

Here's a thread he started. The designs for his double wishbone rear suspension are nearer the end of the thread. Hope these ideas get completed. If they do I'll definitely do these mods to mine.

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77868&hl=pintopower#entry608089

is this the crp front end kit people are using for the grasshopper?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/351612891087?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Yes it is

You also need to buy the accompanying hardware (nuts and bolts) set and you will need to improvise some upper control arms as the kit supplied ones are the wrong length

Works really well though!

Yes it is

You also need to buy the accompanying hardware (nuts and bolts) set and you will need to improvise some upper control arms as the kit supplied ones are the wrong length

Works really well though!

what shocks? prolly the fx10 aluminum ones but i would like something different.

I got the CRP complete kit on its way to me same as link but with all the hardware I'm gonna sell it so you could buy it off me if you like?

ill keep that in mind. thanks

I struggled to find oil shocks to fit.

CVA's have too large a diameter.

I tried to fit Hornet oil shocks all round but on the front they were fully compressed just at rest.

Ended up using some Tamiya 1/14 scale truck shocks - well pogo sticks/spring holders actually (not oil dampers)

Never been fully happy with them but they look just about right and do the job.

If anyone knows of oil shocks that'll fit with the CRP front end kit I'd love to know about them

That rear suspension setup is a work of art. Very impressive.

I read somewhere that losi mini t shocks can be used on the front. If I can find the link of the build I'll put it on here. It's only a 1:18 scale kit so they aren't too stiff for the light weight grasshopper either. I've found an ebay listing for the shocks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-LOSI-MINI-T-GPM-SUPER-SHOCKS-SET-SILVER-ALUMINUM-SMT355-SMT360-/191775903103?hash=item2ca6bc0d7f:g:oucAAOSw0vBUk3ce

I read somewhere that losi mini t shocks can be used on the front. If I can find the link of the build I'll put it on here. It's only a 1:18 scale kit so they aren't too stiff for the light weight grasshopper either. I've found an ebay listing for the shocks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAM-LOSI-MINI-T-GPM-SUPER-SHOCKS-SET-SILVER-ALUMINUM-SMT355-SMT360-/191775903103?hash=item2ca6bc0d7f:g:oucAAOSw0vBUk3ce

Those look like they'd do the trick, nice one

4356530724_a23face7ce_z.jpg

If Tamiya produced this car, I would buy it in one second! It's outstanding!

giphy.gif

• Like 1

This hornet has a great front set up. I don't know if it's a kit you can buy or custom made.

_57%2062_zpsxk3gw4u0.jpg

This one has the crp front end. I think it's a members that is on TC. Hope he doesn't mind me using the pic. Think its a great action shot.

img20319_01092008073419_1_zpspnnz1r0r.jp

• Like 1

That spare wheel on the rear is very old school rallyesque cool.

CRP's ghopper replacement shock tower kit came with shocks. Early kit had aluminum retainers and seats. Later kit had red plastic. The same shocks were offered with many other makes/models. They are fairly easy to find.

I've got an extra bare re-re chassis with that tower if you're looking for one.

early--

DSCF3099_zpsd2341928.jpg

DSCF3085_zpsecfqrp8g.jpg

• Like 1