MadInventor

Yet another clod buster steering mod :)

First of all, apologies for posting another clod buster steering mod, I suspect that something like this has probably been done already, but I've not seen one myself so here goes :
I wanted to pep up the steering on my stock clod without going overboard on mods and keeping a fairly stock look. I also wanted something that would be relatively quick to make with simple and few parts. This is what I came up with (on the second attempt.... ) :

SAM_2128.jpg

SAM_2129.jpg

It a replacement for the stock axle guard bars that allows a standard size servo to be mounted inside the axle guard mounts. The tubes are 8mm steel rod drilled out for lightness, and vertical braces are aluminium. The vertical braces have 4 3mm grub screws in the front to pin the vertical braces to the tubes, this allows for slight differences in the size of the servo used.

img33435_15012016190739_3.jpg

img33435_15012016190739_4.jpg

I used a tamiya heavy duty servo saver and also had to make an extra track rod to connect the servo to the wheel upright, and replaced the 4 3mmx15 bolts that hold the stock guard on with 3mm x10. Very happy with the result, the servo saver is a bit exposed, but this truck is not going to get hammered so I'm not too concerned.

I've only fitted one to the front axle so far, and it has made the steering plenty responsive enough without being really twitchy, and I've left the stock steering mechanism in place for the rear steering, along with the original steering servo. The front end is a bit of a tight fit, but there is clearance on all the moving parts and it operates smoothly.

Now back to fitting the axles on the war rig trailer :)

Edited by MadInventor
Replacing dead image links with ones that work
  • Like 12

This is one of the coolest servo mounts I have seen in a long while. Hope you don't mind I have posted some photos of your servo mount on clodtalk.com :)

• Like 1

That is the ultimate in engineering. Simple, elegant, effective....I need a pair of them.....My present setup works (CPE Vertical Servo Mounts and HD rods) but are exposed and a little bendy. Your solution is exactly what I have been looking for....

I am a little jealous right now.... :)

• Like 1

That is the ultimate in engineering. Simple, elegant, effective....I need a pair of them.....My present setup works (CPE Vertical Servo Mounts and HD rods) but are exposed and a little bendy. Your solution is exactly what I have been looking for....

I am a little jealous right now.... :)

I'm too busy atm to make any more, but I don't mind posting the dimensions of the parts on here if anyone wants to have a go at 3d printing the vertical braces or making some themselves. (The horizontal bars can easy be replicated with 8mm aluminium rod and will be light enough to not require drililng out.

Very nice! A while back I tried something similar, attaching the servo between the red guards, but bolted to a pair of old RC10 nylon servo mounts. It worked well geometrically, but it seemed too soft and floppy. Aluminum blocks would solve that problem nicely. I'll be stealing this idea, if you don't mind...

• Like 1

Very nice! A while back I tried something similar, attaching the servo between the red guards, but bolted to a pair of old RC10 nylon servo mounts. It worked well geometrically, but it seemed too soft and floppy. Aluminum blocks would solve that problem nicely. I'll be stealing this idea, if you don't mind...

Steal away !

Having the horizontal bars secured with grub screws also helps a great deal with the rigidity of the servo mount. I'll try and post a diagram of the dimensions I used sometime in the coming week.

Diagram as promised. Hopefully will be enough of a guide for anyone who wants to have a go at one.

Clod-Steering-bracket.jpg

Edited by MadInventor
Repairing dead picture link
  • Like 3

That's awesome, I was just looking at my Bullhead last night thinking I need to go with front and rear servos, this is the absolute neatest solution I have seen, excellent work.

Thank you also for the diagram, would love to get around to that one day.

Hello,

i need the Partnumber of the longer hexagon Ballconnector thingy...

Do anyone have the Partnumber?

I have to say that this Steeringmod is the BEST I have to come across the whole Internet, it`s better (in my opionon) than the regular Upright CPE Servomounts.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, whahooo said:

Hello,

i need the Partnumber of the longer hexagon Ballconnector thingy...

Do anyone have the Partnumber?

I have to say that this Steeringmod is the BEST I have to come across the whole Internet, it`s better (in my opionon) than the regular Upright CPE Servomounts.

Thank you. 

The ball joint part number is 19805624.

You can download the Bullhead manual from Tamiya.com which has a full spare parts list in the back for standard clod / bull head parts:

http://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/rcmanual/58535.pdf

• Thanks 1