Sign in to follow this  
twisted

ANYONE 4 LINK A GRASSHOPPER?

I have thought about doing a 4 link rear suspension but was wondering if it has already been done. Pics would be great if it has been.

hello

yes i,am making one right now,based on land rover discovery,solid axle linked to chassis.would load pictures,always says to big upload and downsize.all I did was take off pivot points from chassis ,were gearbox ends pivot.replace with ball end joints.make centre pivot,bolt to gearbox and chassis.but shocks now hit gearbox on articulation.put threaded bar through gearbox to attach ballends,you will have to cut ends of gearbox pivots,to make sure ballends line up.6mm off each end.will try to upload pictures if I can.

Try using Photobucket for hosting your pictures and embedding the links into your posts.

Trying to think where i saw it now, but I was watching a video the other day. Of a grasshopper with a full IRS suspension setup. This is something I would be interested for my GH2

Craig :)

Sounds like the famous Grahoo Grasshopper.

I ve seen his independent grasshopper but not one that was 4 linked.

Here's my 4-linked stadium truck. Currently in my loft, covered in dust.

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=68675

http://tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=73573

This was never supposed to be a useable truck, more of a proof of concept. If I did it again I'd do it slightly different.

The shocks (as always) are too stiff and the chassis is too soft, it really needs more reinforcing. Also it's too long for a Grasshopper (OK for me as I have a TXT body on it), and the geometry is all wrong, so it bumpsteers badly when it articulates.

But - it gives you an idea of what can be done and where you might want to start :)

• Like 1

I ve seen his independent grasshopper but not one that was 4 linked.

I don't believe he has done a 4-linked one yet. My comment referred to Smidsy's mention of a full IRS suspension setup on a Grasshopper.

You would need another axle or cut the brick off the front of the stock one. Should be easy to do but to what end?

4 link a LB would be an interesting project

I was just thinking of ways to make the rear end handle better and the 4 link came to mind. I didnt think of over all length. Thats a good point

Mad Ax

I think it would be a fun project and bottom links would be easy to do but top link mounts would require some work to get mounted on the gearbox, hpi wheely king axle clamps would be a good starting point for chassis and axle mount brackets though