zeppelin

This is what I expect from tamiya

RC4WD just released a new body of a cherolet blazer and they really outdone themselves.
The new body looks great and its full of details with excelent scale (http://store.rc4wd.com/Chevrolet-Blazer-Hard-Body-Complete-Set_p_4811.html)

There was a time that tamiya did this kind of releases with models that made us say " just take my money".

what happed to tamiya? will Tamiya ever do something new like they used to?

• Like 1

I've seen the body too, and it sure is detailed, but I'm not at all impressed by the poor proportions. The whole grill looks toyish and out of proportions, the bumpers and mirrors look too big (to me at least) and the rear of the hood is angled much steeper than the real thing. I wouldn't have bought it even if it had been $ 100 cheaper. Although I like this earlier modelyear better, I would still buy the Vaterra K5 body instead. Even being a lexan body, it looks much better in my humble opinion. If Tamiya had released a hard body as poor as the RC4WD K5, I would indeed be very disappointed.

EDIT: Admittedly, it doesn't look too bad in the small b/w pic on the website, but I think it looks awful in the newsmail colour pics:

12471569_10153237823312407_2232600945367

• Like 3

I'm not judging on that RC4WD Blazer. But on another note, there are other companies that even release their chassis supplied with Tamiya bodyshells:

As always, more realistic looking offroad car bodyshells are always welcome, from whatever company they are made.

• Like 1

I was watching Jaws only yesterday, thinking how Sheriff Brody's ride was screaming out for a 1:10 version...don't know I'd spend 139 bucks to chop this one up though.

95051a44361b0efd9005368491e85af3.jpg

• Like 2

Proportions are right on this body. Compare to a real K5 Blazer. I have ordered one body for me already as I am waiting for such a super scale K5 Hardbody since ever. 2748434130_a731354bab_b.jpg

I am certain that the body will be very well detailed and made.

• Like 2

Proportions are right on this body. Compare to a real K5 Blazer. I have ordered one body for me already as I am waiting for such a super scale K5 Hardbody since ever.

I am certain that the body will be very well detailed and made.

Sure, you are entitled to your opinion, just like I am to mine. I'm happy for you to enjoy it even though I can't possibly understand why! :-)

But you don't really call a Tamiya hardbody full scale, don't you? Check the proportions of each of their hardbody with the real thing and you will discover that all of them are out of scale. Not that I do not like Tamiya bodies but to call a RC4WD body out of scale but a Tamiya body scale is wierd. Have you ever seen a RC4WD Toyota J4 Landcruiser body in person? Super scale I can say. And I know both the K5 and the J4, I mean the real ones very well. I owned a 1979 K5 Blazer (the same RC4WD made) and the details RC4WD put into their body are simply awesome. I think only ScaleArt can top that with their super scale semi models.

But you don't really call a Tamiya hardbody full scale, don't you? Check the proportions of each of their hardbody with the real thing and you will discover that all of them are out of scale. Not that I do not like Tamiya bodies but to call a RC4WD body out of scale but a Tamiya body scale is wierd. Have you ever seen a RC4WD Toyota J4 Landcruiser body in person? Super scale I can say. And I know both the K5 and the J4, I mean the real ones very well. I owned a 1979 K5 Blazer (the same RC4WD made) and the details RC4WD put into their body are simply awesome. I think only ScaleArt can top that with their super scale semi models.

I haven't mentioned "scale" a single time in my criticism of the RC4WD body. Also, I pointed out that it's obviously detailed, but correct scale and lots of details don't help at all when the proportions are so bad. And yes, think the proportions are terrible, especially when compared to the real thing. That's as evident to me as it's evident to you that the body is great.

I agree with Mokei about the mirrors, and the panel angle between the hood and the windscreen. the front bumper does appear to be deeper, but that could just be the angle the pic is at.

The grill however does appear to be the same as the one on the 1:1 K5 that Tamtom posted, but again, the angle could be making it appear as tho it dips down a bit more between the indicators.

Overall the detail is superb, even with the the items that Mokei has pointed. As for scale, I'm not the big on scale, so someone else will need to go get one, and break out the calipers and tape and such to check the scaleness of it.

It seems silly to me to be arguing back and forth whether or not the RC4wd proportions are right, when the initial point was that Tamiya used to be the place to go for new, detailed hardbodies, whereas now they're either re-releasing swiss cheesed versions of old molds or stamping out lexan and everyone else has stepped up to the plate.

• Like 3

I think the proportions are pretty good overall, and I've seen a LOT of full-size K5 Blazers and GMC Jimmys over the years. The ride height is comically high, as if Billy Bob could afford the lift kit but not the wheels and tires to go under it, but the overall effect is pretty close. The toy-like hinges on the tailgate and rear window let it down; the real thing has rear window glass that rolls down into the tailgate instead of flipping up. (But the mirrors on the real thing really are that big, as they're meant for trailer towing.)

As to the larger point: I would like to see Tamiya bring their remarkable modeling skills to their RC products more often. But they already have done a Chevy Blazer; perhaps this will get them to finally pull it out of mothballs?

Edit: Also, the steering wheel will have to be changed. They used the later-model (1988 to around 1994) Chevy truck steering wheel design.

• Like 2

Z-B0092-21.jpg

This is what is making me drool. RC4WD's scale V8 looks right at home. Pair that with RC4wd's K44 axles and super scale leafs... :blink: THat would all cost a more than my 1:1 vehicle :D

The RC4WD engine is severely overpriced for how generic it is. You need to add a ton of details to make it look right.

The Blazer body doesn't look terrible, but for the price, it should be spot on. It's not

At least a nice body to go ahead and downscale Jon Breen's legendary Mad Dog II :)

a8d478f188ad1a7131ed7facb20662b8.jpg

33f6c74ae79f8a4abf713b53a7c1e5c6.jpg

Yeah! That's what I'm talking about! Looks great!

• Like 1

On a general note, please guys come on, this is a friendly forum, where you can post your honest opinions without the need for going cynical and insulting. Thanks!

• Like 3

I anyone ever decides to release a different Bronco (86), I'm building a Little Mule.

PEPE_zps2d670951.jpg

• Like 4

The way they've chosen to photograph it on a chassis which clearly isn't wide enough is really making it look bad!

Also those mirrors are huge - inc. the mounting point for them. Overall I don't think the promo is doing it any favours - I'm sure it's great in person, but can certainly see where Mokei is coming from, the paintscheme and photo angles don't lend themselves to the efforts which have clearly gone into creating this body!

It seems some of the original details have been over-exaggerated.

I can't wait to see some of the builds that come out of it though, I'm sure a lot of things can be rectified!

• Like 1

The way they've chosen to photograph it on a chassis which clearly isn't wide enough is really making it look bad!

I'm sure it's great in person, but can certainly see where Mokei is coming from, the paintscheme and photo angles don't lend themselves to the efforts which have clearly gone into creating this body!

I can't wait to see some of the builds that come out of it though, I'm sure a lot of things can be rectified!

when RC4WD released their amazing Toyota Landcruiser body I started a thread with an almost identical title to this...

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75659&hl=rc4wd

The Toyota also sat oddly with wheels that were too small. If you look at threads like this though, you can see what some new wheels and tires can do for it.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/showthread.php?t=79714&page=11

• Like 1

I think it's a valid point that some of us in here are subjecting this body to levels of scrutiny that Tamiya themselves would fail to endure.

• Like 2

So I think I should eventually say something about the car zeppelin posted.

From the pictures, I can say I like the bodyshell. I don't know much about the real car, but this model looks better than the attempts of many other manufacturers. The only thing I would change is the track width. Well, I'm more used to R/C monster trucks than high-lifts or regular pick-up trucks, but I think a wider track would make the stance more believeable and likeable. I guess this is easily fixed by using wheels or wheelhubs with a different offset? Or am I wrong?

• Like 1

I agree with Markbt73, lifted too high and too low an offset (probably more because of axle width) for that size wheel. but 15" Cragar Nomads were popular on these trucks.

RC4wd could have painted the grille inserts black and grey to make it more realistic as only the outer trim on these grilles are usually (polished alloy) chrome looking.

I am not offended by the mirror's. common design for this shape and these don't look bad, they might be 1 or 2mm bigger, who knows, but they are not exactly mickey mouse ears.

That spec bumper needs the trim painted. The other bumper (smaller, no trim) was the more common one, hence why people aren't used to it.

I like it. Will i buy it? probably not. but if I wanted it and was in a position too, yeah I would buy it, I wouldn't want to rash it around rocks for $139usd though, and I can only imagine what RC4wd would charge to ship it here :blink:

Doesn't help with blinkin Mongoose posting up pictures of sexy 80's monster trucks all over the place :rolleyes: Somebody build that MAD DOG II !!!

Catalogue pictures are all great, but it's what people DO WITH IT that I want to see.

I was watching Jaws only yesterday, thinking how Sheriff Brody's ride was screaming out for a 1:10 version...don't know I'd spend 139 bucks to chop this one up though.

95051a44361b0efd9005368491e85af3.jpg

That would look brilliant in that scheme. I think this pic shows just how big the real mirrors are.

James

:)

• Like 1

My original point was that rc4wd new body captured the spirit of scale rc, just like tamiya did 35 years ago with the original hilux.

unfortunately tamiya no longer make this kind of bodys/kits, instead we get lexan bodys on a chassis that is a long way from scale.
I just hope that we will be surprised in the future from tamiya.