Sign in to follow this  
billg4

GF01 chassis and Montero body?

Anyone have the specs? I'm thinking this could be a great match up???

I can't find the wheelbase of the montero any place.

The Montero/Pajero wheelie has the same wheelbase as the Lunchbox. So it might be too long for the shorter GF-01 chassis. Unless you modify the body.

As GregM points out, the wheelbase of the Pajero and Lunchbox chassises (CW-01) is the same, but in fact, the bodies themselves have different wheelbases. Whereas the Lunchbox and Pumpkin bodies have a wheelbase of approx. 203mm, the wheelbase of the Pajero body is just approx. 190mm. This makes a big difference for the adaptability to the GF-01 Chassis.

By flipping the suspension arms 180 degrees, the wheelbase can be extended. I have done this to the front and rear of several WR-02 (Wild Willy 2) chassises to fit the Lunchbox, Pumpkin, Pajero, Marui Jeep and Marui Landcruiser bodies. As the WR-02 and GF-01 use the same suspension ams, flipping them give the same results in wheelbase changes.

To mount the Lunchbox and Pumpkin bodies, both front and rear suspension arms need to be flipped. That's not a problem on the (RWD) WR-02 Chassis, but on the (4WD) GF-01, there isn't enough clearance for the front driveshafts after flipping the front suspension arms. To fit the Pajero body however, just the rear suspension arms need to be flipped. Depending on exactly how the body is fitted.it may also be necessary to adjust the wheelbase slightly by mounting spacers between the front and rear halves of the rear suspension arms. Also, as the distance between gearbox joint and rear axle gets longer when flipping the rear suspension arms, longer driveshafts are necessary. Thankfully, the TA02/FF01 front (same as TA03 front/rear) driveshafts are the correct length!

For the wheelie bar to work properly after flipping the rear suspension arms, it also makes sense to install the wheelie bar spacers that come with the WR-02G (Farm King/Tunbling Bull/Kumamon Tractor).

• Like 3

Thank you very much for the replies, especially the highly detailed one. That was awesome, thank you.

I believe I can do as you said easy enough. I've swapped around tamiya parts and kits for years. LOL

I'll start rounding up the parts needed as funding allows. :)