skip665

DT-03 Grasshopper

I posted this on the Iconic RC Facebook page but think its worth adding it here too :-)

Wanted a build an RC over Christmas but had nothing coming from Santa and a couple of NIBs that I am not feeling at the moment. Saw the cheap DT03s on the trade area so picked one up and went for a different colour scheme which I think has turned out well :-)

Thoughts from the Tamiya massive?!

post-22523-0-53657100-1453295238_thumb.j

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

That don't look bad at all!!

Looks way nicer than the standard Neo Fighter and the Grasshopper decals help to stop the shell looking as overly elongated compared to the box art scheme

• Like 1

Looks nice. That shell can be anything with a bit of paint

I really love modern/vintage boxart mash-ups and that's a great one - like it :)

• Like 1

Thanks all - it was favourably received on IconicRC too - I have to say it turned out better than it looked in my head too! Really pleased with it :)

The only bad thing about this is that I didn't think of it first!

• Like 3

I posted this on the Iconic RC Facebook page but think its worth adding it here too :-)

Wanted a build an RC over Christmas but had nothing coming from Santa and a couple of NIBs that I am not feeling at the moment. Saw the cheap DT03s on the trade area so picked one up and went for a different colour scheme which I think has turned out well :-)

Thoughts from the Tamiya massive?!

Good work there! I can see how many cuts you had to make to the original decals to fit them to the new body. Lot of patience went into that.

The only bad thing about this is that I didn't think of it first!

The only bad thing about this is that I thought of doing vintage / modern mash-ups years ago and haven't got around to actually doing it yet :D :D

• Like 1

I cant take credit for the idea :lol:

Someone has made a Hornet version and John Weston said "are you going to do a Grasshopper one next" - which was what made me want to do it. I love the look of the Grasshopper but not interested in owning one as a runner - this was the prefect compromise :)

Much more detailed than mine! Looks fantastic! B)

Are you going to do a Grasshopper version?

Those Hornet stripes look great - I reckon they will look even better on the soon-to-be-released Racing Fighter.

top job there Truck Norris :)

Awesome work to both of you guys, I think the DT-03 looks awesome with those retro paint jobs.

I will have a DT-03 with an unpainted Body sipped to me very soon.

I plan to paint ut in Pink/White and put the Frog Decals on it because the Body is somewgat of an hommahe to the original Frog.

But i like the Grasshoper and Hornet Paintjob more apeling to mo me.

So now i don't know what to do....

Get another 2 Bodys?

Get 2 more Sets?

Just make a Hornet hommage? But i have 2 Hornets.....   and one Comical Hornet..... and a Grasshopper....

I have no Frog.

And i don't need 3 DT-03s because i already have too many cars and i will not run the DT03 very often.

2nd question:

I've ordered Stabilizers, because i think they make sense. But why do so many people use carbon or aluminium damper Stays? Do they brake that easy?

I've also just ordered a second neo Fighter. I'd seen a Frog homage paint job before but that Hornet one up there looks amazing. 

Or I might do something completely different, but mostly I'd love to have a driver in it. Anyone know how best to add the driver? Would be interested to know which driver part is best and is he fixed down to the chassis or glued into the body? Must be tight in there with the ESC. 

Is there a DT-03 Thread?

The more Videos i watch, the more i want some of these Cars.

My first one will be a Frog Hommage, but i love the Grasshopper and the Hornet one.

Also i love the DT-02 Astute Hommage, posted in andother thread.

That one also has a very nice Body:

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, whahooo said:

I've ordered Stabilizers, because i think they make sense. But why do so many people use carbon or aluminium damper Stays? Do they brake that easy?

The plastic damper stays aren't particularly prone to breakage, but they do flex a bit. Now this isn't necessarily a bad thing - some flex makes them better able to withstand collisions. I used plastic damper stays on my TT-02B for quite a while when I was just driving it around the park for fun for example.

However when you are trying to tune your dampers for track use, the flex becomes a problem as it masks fine adjustments. The stiffer carbon or alloy damper stays allow your fine adjustments to actually take effect. As soon as I started using my TT-02B for the postal races, I switched to carbon damper stays as the flexy plastic ones didn't let me do any meaningful suspension tuning.

There is also the aesthetic appeal. High-end cars tend to use carbon or alloy dampers, so if you want your relatively ordinary car to look more high-end, carbon or alloy damper stays are a relatively easy way to do this.

• Like 1

No worries, my cars are never seeing a Track.

I used my fastest Car on a "competition track" and it wasn`t anything near a usable Car, it was too slow to get around the Track because they use very fast cars and i think they mostly use 1:8 Cars...

23 hours ago, whahooo said:

Is there a DT-03 Thread?

The more Videos i watch, the more i want some of these Cars.

My first one will be a Frog Hommage, but i love the Grasshopper and the Hornet one.

Also i love the DT-02 Astute Hommage, posted in andother thread.

That one also has a very nice Body:

Does anybody know what body that is? 

EDIT 1: I found it.... it's quite expensive. 

https://www.amainhobbies.com/rj-speed-1-10-classic-sprint-kit-rjs2032/p-qtaqtzrqgczxactz

Edit 2:  They do have a shell also: https://www.amainhobbies.com/rj-speed-indy-roadster-body-kit-rjs1047/p-qtaqtzkqyc2xactz