beefmuffin

Surprise!: Q.D. Monster CVA's = Yellow Mini CVA's

A bunch of people have recently been desperately trying to locate NOS Yellow Mini CVA's and finding slim pickings and when a packaged set occasionally turns up the price is punitive. I've managed to help a few people score used ones or piece together new ones from parts bags. BUT...

The other day I decided to finally build the CVA's for my QD Monster Beetle which already has gold wheels and pin-spike tires, in order to complete the 1:10 Monster Beetle look. After building them I couldn't help but notice the similarity with the Mini CVA's, and was reminded of a previous discussion about red "Hornet II" Mini CVA's which touched on the QD ones and what the similarities are to 1:10 scale CVA's.

Well, it turns out they are exactly the same. The QD Monster CVA set is identical in all respects (except, maybe, oil viscosity) to the vintage Yellow Mini CVA set. With one notable exception - as of writing this there are 3 NIP sets currently available on ebay for ~$20 apiece (there were 5 when I first discovered this) ... look for Tamiya part number 43007.

What's more, the set also includes 2 of those brass spacers that matman was looking for (I believe they are the same ones at least). See pics below. The dirty shock is a Mini CVA and the new one is from the QD Monster CVA kit.

24357507811_066f510906_b.jpg

24331726042_a51a7babaa_b.jpg

• Like 4

Yes Mr Beef they look the same brass bushes , So it looks like you were holding out on them GRR :lol: .

• Like 1

Nice find Beef, I have also just spotted those same bushes in the rear lower shock mount on an original Hotshot 2

• Like 1

That's what i wanted it for Snappy1 , to finish off the HS2 . But have them now :) .

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip, I ordered a couple of sets for my terra scorcher and astute new builds.

There were two sellers one with 2 sets and one with 3 sets, for 22$

• Like 1

lol Those are some seriously soft springs.

Absolutely, but considering that the gearbox with motor and the front end with servo are all unsprung masses, there isn't much mass left to carry. Body, tub, batteries and PCB, that's all. I have a QD Monster Beetle with the QD CVA-set, and the springs are actually quite well suited for the application.

• Like 1

Sounds spot on.

So what's the deal then? Are people just looking for the CVA version-1 parts? I would thin the version-2 parts would be better since they have snap-on ball connectors. (though the one-piece piston/rods are junk IMO).

I have been looking for some fronts for ages ,yes the cva II shocks are better but for originality i want the yellow ones which have been quite expensive and hard to find.

I recon youll find that those springs are the same as what would be used on say like a grasshopper 2 ,they look they same as the ones i have here

• Like 1