Nicky8694

Best mod for a grasshopper

That would depend on the desired outcome, and what has been done to it already.

All runners should be built with bearings in place of the plastic and metal bushings provided in the kit, and the Grasshopper is no exception. This reduces wear and significantly improves both speed and runtimes.

Unless you are a hard core vintage fan, a runner Grasshopper also benefits from an ESC in place of the MSC provided in the kit. Modern re-releases come with ESCs as standard. An ESC is more efficient than a MSC, benefiting runtimes, and also tends to be more reliable.

Many would argue that this is a good place to stop, as changing anything else is likely to change the basic nature of the car, and if you are unhappy with your Grasshopper's basic nature, perhaps you'd be better off going for another car altogether.

However if you do want to proceed, the next upgrade would probably be to your motor. The little 380 supplied with the kit is great for giving long runtimes, but isn't all that fast. Upgrading to a 540 is not uncommon. There is some debate as to how powerful a motor you can fit before the car becomes overpowered to the point of being underivable, but most will agree that a Sport Tuned, Dirt Tuned or other good 27t motor will suit the chassis. Don't forget the steel pinion!

Another area to upgrade is the suspension. You could start basic by swapping the rear friction dampers for Hornet oil-filled ones and fit some Hornet O-ring retainers for some friction damping up front, or you could go the whole hog with a Pintopower/Shapeways 3D-printed 5-shock cantilever system, or a Grahoo-style IFS conversion. CRP and FX-10 front ends are also less extreme options.

The heavy ABS bodyshell could be replaced with a lighter Lexan one, either a Parma Grasshopper shell or a Tamiya Hornet shell. The Hornet shell would also need the Hornet body mounts, not sure about the Parma.

Depending on what you have at the moment, your radio gear may also want upgrading. Older 27MHz sets are very prone to interference these days due to the number of other services and devices using the band or harmonics thereof. A modern 2.4GHz set will give far more secure control of the vehicle.

• Like 4

It's all been said by xv. I've got a hornet which is very, very similar to the grasshopper as you probably know. Bearings, steel pinion and a 540 motor and you're good to go. That's what I have on my hornet. I actually downgraded both of mine from a sport tuned to a standard 540 silver can. Just as much fun and that bit longer running time.

One other thing you can do is buy the hornet pieces which connect the gearbox to the chassis. This gives it more rear end side to side movement and reduces the bouncing (it still bounces! :lol: ) rather than it just being a pivot point. Two little springs either side fit into these and the conversion is done.

Have fun with it. Great little buggy. :)

• Like 1

Best mod for a Grasshopper... replace it with a Traxxas Slash.

Just kidding, I think XV Pilot and Terz already nailed it.

• Like 2

I think it has all been said on grasshopper mods apart from heavy duty steering kit and maybe a little extra weight over the back wheels for added traction.

The 3rd shock mod is handy on a Hornet, but you don't need to worry about it on a Grasshopper unless you fit Hornet gearbox pivots. The Grasshopper ones don't have any vertical movement, so there is nothing to dampen.

where can you get the Pintopower/Shapeways 3D-printed 5-shock cantilever system ? its not on shapeways.

Sorry for the delay Twisted! I always forget to check the TC messages. Let me know if you want the cantilever setup, I never posted it because it is a complex system to install but if you want it I can make it available.

I would recommend the HPI 15t 540 can and ball bearings for hornets and grasshoppers. Makes for a cheap, simple and completely usable buggy that you can go out and have some fun with. Throw a lipo in it for even more power if you feel the need. If you want to go brushless a cheap EZRUN combo would work well but usually they become very hard to handle since you are basically strapping a small rocket to a shopping cart.

In my opinion, independent suspension really works. And if you want to do this, extra wheel tread is recommended, especially the front.

Besides, tires always play an important role, no matter onroad or offroad, real car or RC car.

Has anyone ever tried fitting CVA dampers to the front of a Grashopper. I'm just about to start building a black edition re re one. Luckily have an original HP kit for the rear. Thinking mini CVA dampers for the front. As I know this was the upgrade for the Grasshopper 2. However I know it does have a different chassis.

Craig

To me, there is no point in trying to improve this or a Hornet. When you change it, it loses all the quirks and silliness that make it such a fun car. They are so cheap, that if you want a better runner, get a DT-02 or 03. Just my 2 cents and I see nothing wrong with changing one if you feel like doing so, but then you don't have a Hopper/Hornet.

• Like 1

You're right - I can't see it in Pintopower's shop either. Might be worth contacting him via PM about it?

(For those who are wondering what I am on about, here is a link to his thread on "Project Super Fly" where you can read all about it.)

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=74889

Wow.. Just wow. *Looks at Hornet on the shelf currently wearing a Stadium Blitzer body*