Nitomor

2016 Re release predictions...

1 hour ago, kontemax said:

The crisis hits the RC market for sure.

Currently the Vintage mania is the only thing that resists.

Max

I think your right Max.

you only have to look at the FLOOD of rediculousy cheap Chinese RC cars to see that the market is probably the most competitive it's ever been. Many new to the hobby don't have the brand loyalty we older fellas have and go with what's cheap, available and does its job (mainly toys) over a quality driven slightly (very slightly) more expensive Japanese brand.

It will come full circle again but many smaller players will disappear in the process and the biggest (Tamiya, Kyosho, HPI, Axial) are being careful at the moment. There is a resurgence for retro "real" toys but that's what's fuelling these ReRe's at the moment and not new development/models.

as for the 959. I know I may deflate a lots of hopes and I have ZERO insider knowledge, but I suspect it will never happen.

Porsche may grant the licence for the shell, logos etc but Tamiya doesn't want to pay or negotiate for real brands that ARE needed on a historic race replica and moreover...Cigarette sponsorship on what's regarded a toy? It will never happen.

2 hours ago, Shodog said:

As others have said, it comes down to dollars and cents. Despite our enthusiasm here on the board, R/C has been on the decline for years. Just look at how the trades shows have dwindled and downsized.  The market just isn't there to tool up for some of exact release of a 959.

This current market is why we got a 40th anniversary parts bin car. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with the 40th anniversary car as now one of my 911 GT2 bodies will get a killer chassis. 

I think ya right r/c is on decline (drones aside but I think in the uk they will have some sort of banning order on them in the future coz we in the uk love to ban stuff!!) The problem is the younger generation are too fixated with the mobile phone and if it not attached to a phone they don't want to know! But I'm ever the optimist and fingers crossed 959 chassis will make an appearance but I do think the bigwig is a cert ;) but I think it's going to be at Nuremberg we're gona see anymore interesting re-re's! But hopefully I'm wrong :)

• Like 3

Maybe Tamiya should think about a totally new line of Hop Up Options for old models that allow these vintage cars to manage new motors, increase performances and reliability. This should be a push in expensive and wanted parts sales after the market has been refueled with vintage models that bring today from the past the same old problems.

This what I would like to do if I was rich, founding the "Kontemax's Racing Factory" for vintage Tamiya's models but this is a dream of a poor guy.

Max

• Like 6

I think this would be a good idea. If tamiya released these hop up options to handle newer stuff. People like pinto also do a great job redesigning elements which are flawed from a design aspect, surely tamiya could do this too.

I'm not sure it would be economically viable or if the demand is there but I wish they'd release every parts tree, screw bag, metals parts, bodies, decals, wheels, tyres and drivers for all models current and past so you could replace that hard to find vintage part and not pay through the roof for a 20 or 30 year old scratched up plastic part which is essential to finish your project. So you could basically build any tamiya, anytime. Do away with re releases :lol:.

Maybe Tamiya should think about a totally new line of Hop Up Options for old models that allow these vintage cars to manage new motors, increase performances and reliability. This should be a push in expensive and wanted parts sales after the market has been refueled with vintage models that bring today from the past the same old problems.

This what I would like to do if I was rich, founding the "Kontemax's Racing Factory" for vintage Tamiya's models but this is a dream of a poor guy.

Max

Can you imagine how much Tamiya could make rereleasing the tyres for the M38/ blazing blazer? I imagine they have the tooling still! 

And yes I agree. With the amount of rere kits allowing them to handle modern gear could be an easy cash grab for Tamiya with little outlay.

All very good points. The Astute and King Cab series of cars have a HUGE following, and the Astute is the last of the coffee cup miniatures yet to be produced. Their drive trains are very efficient and it would cost Tamiya nothing to make the Avante Black/Egress Ball differential fit the Astute Transmission. Thats my prediction, rere Astute and King Cab with mew style all diferential. Neither aer exotic as Avante/Egress , dont require liscensing, and are pretty much guaranteed hits.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, GTodd said:

All very good points. The Astute and King Cab series of cars have a HUGE following, and the Astute is the last of the coffee cup miniatures yet to be produced. Their drive trains are very efficient and it would cost Tamiya nothing to make the Avante Black/Egress Ball differential fit the Astute Transmission. Thats my prediction, rere Astute and King Cab with mew style all diferential. Neither aer exotic as Avante/Egress , dont require liscensing, and are pretty much guaranteed hits.

One thing for sure, they could definitely get a lot of mileage out of re-re'ing the Astute gearbox.  Astute, Madcap, Saint Dragon, King Cab, Monster Racer.  That's a nice series there... not unlike the ORV mileage from the Frog gearbox.  Though, judging from the experience with the Frog / Brat / Monster Beetle / Blackfoot 2016 / etc I wouldn't be surprised IF they went ahead and re-release the Astute if they kept the gearbox identical, warts and all.  The issues with the Blackfoot / Monster Beetle gearbox were well known before they re-released those.  Same for the King Cab and Monster Racer now... neither gearbox design handles the big wheels/tires all that well.  BUT I'd still prefer to see that series re-release parts-wise identical to the originals just to have a supply of fresh parts for runners, like was the case for the Fox.  Wheels, gears, suspension arms, drivers... the supply of Novafox parts has already nearly dried up!  I wish I'd grabbed some more when the prices were dirt cheap.

If there is a "crisis" in RC and the market is in decline then why have Kyosho started now, of all times, to invest precious time and money into remaking their vintage icons?

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Wandy said:

If there is a "crisis" in RC and the market is in decline then why have Kyosho started now, of all times, to invest precious time and money into remaking their vintage icons?

Yeah - if anything I'd think part of the 'crisis' for Tamiya relates to a recent string of disappointing re-releases.  If they'd done a re-re Optima-level job of the Monster Beetle and Blackfoot I'd have bought two of each, even if that meant selling some vintage stuff to do it.  That would be $ in their pocket they didn't have before.  What happened instead is I bought one Monster Beetle kit and sold it, and bought a few spare parts on the secondary market at dirt cheap prices.  Maybe having to charge 25% more to make the kits great instead of meh would have killed sales to people who don't care much for vintage-ness.  However, regardless of what people say to that effect, I can't see how paying a bit more to get a much better product would really turn anyone off, and I doubt many people buying these are really as disinterested in their vintage-ness as might be claimed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wandy said:

Because, as I said, there's a market of trusty and super loyal customers that will spend a lot of money searching the amarcord of their youth. They are the same customers that made the fortune of the hobby.

Max

• Like 1

7 hours ago, beefmuffin said:

One thing for sure, they could definitely get a lot of mileage out of re-re'ing the Astute gearbox.  Astute, Madcap, Saint Dragon, King Cab, Monster Racer.  That's a nice series there...

For all these models I suggest a modern slippery clutch on TTC gearbox and a modern ball differential.

More better would be definitely a totally new transmission, totally sealed, with a shape that fits perfectly in the Astute series chassis.

Max

For all these models I suggest a modern slippery clutch on TTC gearbox and a modern ball differential.

More better would be definitely a totally new transmission, totally sealed, with a shape that fits perfectly in the Astute series chassis.

Max

ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that trans then the diff. It is a modern 3 gear trans, pretty much a stealth rip off and precursor to the dyna. Add the new Egress Ball Diff, anf Dyna slippy and the 210 slippy and your set. Instant bulletproof, tamiya style, and reliable. PS as Ive said before I still run my child hood Astute and Monster racer. Yearly maint. has kept them perfect even with mild brushhless. Preventitive maint, goes a long way!

1 hour ago, GTodd said:

ABSOLUTELY nothing wrong with that trans then the diff. It is a modern 3 gear trans, pretty much a stealth rip off and precursor to the dyna. Add the new Egress Ball Diff, anf Dyna slippy and the 210 slippy and your set. Instant bulletproof, tamiya style, and reliable. PS as Ive said before I still run my child hood Astute and Monster racer. Yearly maint. has kept them perfect even with mild brushhless. Preventitive maint, goes a long way!

The TTC would be perfect if it was sealed so it is only good.

The dust and the dirt are killers for the 0.5 module gears.

The clutch is ok, the gear diff is ok but the Dyna Storm transmission is another level.

Max

11 hours ago, Wandy said:

Kyosho IMO have done it properly, the way Tamiya should have done it initially. 

11 hours ago, beefmuffin said:

Yeah - if anything I'd think part of the 'crisis' for Tamiya relates to a recent string of disappointing re-releases.  If they'd done a re-re Optima-level job of the Monster Beetle and Blackfoot I'd have bought two of each, even if that meant selling some vintage stuff to do it.  That would be $ in their pocket they didn't have before.  What happened instead is I bought one Monster Beetle kit and sold it, and bought a few spare parts on the secondary market at dirt cheap prices.  Maybe having to charge 25% more to make the kits great instead of meh would have killed sales to people who don't care much for vintage-ness.  However, regardless of what people say to that effect, I can't see how paying a bit more to get a much better product would really turn anyone off, and I doubt many people buying these are really as disinterested in their vintage-ness as might be claimed.

You just described the rerelease bruiser. Which is how all the Tamiya rereleases should have been made.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wandy said:

I don't think by any means there is a "crisis" but RC cars are definitely in decline (I can only vouch for the uk) I think the biggest evidence is how many rc model shops have bit the dust and the ones that are left are introducing drones which seem to be in favour at the moment! The rc car world at the moment is a bit stale no new fads (ie monster trucks, short course etc etc) but ever the optimist things will come around again! Mind you I do like the classic iconic rc race days that have been happening I've never been to one yet because of work work and work but the pictures I've seen say it all just immense fun :D:D!

• Like 1

Tamiya fair 19th and 20th November, fingers crossed for a decent rere!!

• Like 2

Please be the Astute !! Or Even the Madcap, maybe test the water first with a car thats cheap to make and doesn't cost people the earth to buy, see how sales go and Astute next year :);)

James

:)

• Like 1

testing the water with a car that's cheap to make?

that's open for striker, falcon and super sabre!

In hard times bring forth the cheaper cars! 😃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taffer said:

testing the water with a car that's cheap to make?

that's open for striker, falcon and super sabre!

In hard times bring forth the cheaper cars! 😃

Striker, falcon and super sabre is three good choices! Back then I had moved away from the hobby when those cars hit the shops real life had hit me:( ( having to pay my way in life!) So I never got a chance to build one so any of those would be interesting for me and like you say cheap aswell! But my hope's are we have a bigwig! and my hope's have been dashed on a SRB ranger after seeing the Blackfoot re-re! (Not that there's anything wrong with the Blackfoot just looks a bit unfinished!)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Nitomor said:

Tamiya fair 19th and 20th November, fingers crossed for a decent rere!!

Well they are promising a "spectacular lot" of their new RC releases. Having said that, they said the same thing before the Shizuoka fair in May and that was a total let down.

Let's hope they deliver something exciting because this has been their most drab year of releases since I got back into the hobby 12 years ago.

If there is a re-release then my money is on the Nissan King Cab.

• Like 2

r/c ...on the decline?...that's all I spend my money on...and it's is pricey!...and I buy vintage and modern stuff....I'd buy a re-ranger even though I have SS..if they put it out as a kit....

A lot of talk about the Astute/Madcap...

I had an Astute from new back in 1990, and I own a (modified) Madcap now....if either was re re,d what would they cost? how close to original would they be?

I seem to recall that my Astute took a lot of extras to bring it up to a reasonable standard, (ballraces etc) and lots of locktite to keep bits from falling off!

Then there is the ball diff....actually i never had any trouble with mine, but I accept that thats pretty rare! 

in short, the spares support would have to be pretty extensive, not sure that Tamiya would want to invest what was needed , into a project like that...

But i would buy one like a shot if the Astute got re released!

You know, every year I ask for the same thing. 959. I swear I will have "This year, Tamiya will re re the 959." etched on my gravestone. :P And the year after I pass, Tamiya will actually re re it.

• Like 7