Sign in to follow this  
WillS

Hpi Firebolt 15T in Frog....is this crazy!

Hi all,

I'm running a vintage Frog with 2S Lipo, Hobbywing ESC, Tamiya Superstock BZ 23T and upgraded Thorp ball diff and rear dog bones. It goes like a rocket.

I have just ordered a HPI Firebolt 15T motor to increase speed still further. Aiming for missile rather than rocket!

The ESC can handle down to 12T on 2S Lipo.

My concern is the gearing. I'm running on the lowest stock gearing the Frog has to offer - I thinks 16tooth pinion from memory.

Will I have a problem?

Thanks for advice in advance.

• Like 1

I want video. The gearbox going off like a grenade should be glorious.

I kid of course :P

• Like 1

Think you may be dissapointed, I don't think that the HPI Firebolt will be quicker than the Tamiya Superstock BZ, I have a few HPI Firebolts and they are rather uninspiring.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies.

I have heard mixed reports on the Firebolt.

It was only £7 so I'll give it a go.

Can anyone recommend a brushed motor faster than BZ that won't kill my gears?

I have a firebolt fitted to my TA03F Pro, I'm with Sparky, suspect it wouldn't be disimilar from the BZ! But it is cheap and good value nevertheless.

Edit: doesn't feel much more spritely than a sport tuned to me.

Think you may be dissapointed, I don't think that the HPI Firebolt will be quicker than the Tamiya Superstock BZ, I have a few HPI Firebolts and they are rather uninspiring.

Agreed, even in a geared down lightweight 2wd chassis I find this motor a disappointment

I put two of them in a clodbuster, they are just right in that, not much quicker than the standard 540's but an improvement.

I think he's already running a 23t bz from what he said in the original post. Is there much difference between the bz and rz?

I bought a 15t hpi firebolt and was pleased with it. I've not used lipo or low turn brushed or brushless motors before so my standards might not be as high as others. It didn't blow me away with speed like I thought it would but it's definitely faster than my sport tuned and my 21t yokomo pro stock 2. Then again at 15t it should be, right!? :lol:

I think it's the price that makes it a winner. I like mine and at £6 I think it's brilliant.

Yes, currently running a BZ. I bought it over the RZ as I wanted more torque and usually drive off road. Much quicker than the silver can 27t.

The HPI arrived yesterday. As soon as there is a dry spell I'll test it out and post results. I'm not holding my breath for much extra speed but at £7 thought it was worth a gamble.

I recommend 2S Lipo...definitely an improved performance over the Nimh. I'm running an Absima 2S 25C 4300 with tamiya plug. The pack measures a few mm longer than the Nimh racing pack so had to space out battery stops. Nylon bearings made perfect spacers!

It won't be quicker than the BZ, it's a bit quicker than a standard 540, but not much.

It's the same motor as the Ansmann clash, they come in the Madrat as standard and it's slowwww.

I use a core RC lipo in Tamiyas, identical in size to a Tamiya battery pack.

• Like 1

That's poor for a 15t even at the price!

Good to know on the batteries. The Core pack is 134mm. The Absima is 137mm. Both batteries would need spacers in the Frog but shorter the better! Thanks.

Interesting. I completely agree, for a 15T motor, Firebolts don't set the world on fire. However, I use them in all my twin motor trucks except my Agrios and have found them acceptable. The two in my Twin Detonator on 8.4v make the truck run wild, almost barely controllable,

The results are in....

15T Firebolt definitely faster than the BZ.

Not by much but is quicker. Frog now has tendency to roll when cornering at speed which wasnt happening with the BZ. Makes a wicked squeal too.

Oh,...completely outstripping my mates Dark Impact! Men against boys!

Pleased with the motor for £6.99.

• Like 2

Great glad you liked it Will. Love mine. You could buy 5 of these for 1 bz so if it's faster that has to be a bargain. Your mate will be putting something faster in his dark impact I bet :lol: .

Great glad you liked it Will. Love mine. You could buy 5 of these for 1 bz so if it's faster that has to be a bargain. Your mate will be putting something faster in his dark impact I bet :lol: .

Thanks.

Got my BZ for £18 direct from Japan!

Yeah...my mate needs an upgrade. 😆

• Like 1