Wandy

Blackfoot re-release #58633

Dare we speculate it having a proper Ford badged body?

We already have, on the Nuremberg thread, and the overwhelming consensus is "not a chance". Lol.

• Like 1

Dare we speculate it having a proper Ford badged body?

Wishful thinking. Tamiya had the Ford decals for the re-release of #58495 Ford F-150. I don't fully understand how the licensing with brand names works tbh

• Like 1

We already have, on the Nuremberg thread, and the overwhelming consensus is "not a chance". Lol.

"Sigh".... didn't think so. I just don't understand why they'll license newer Ford and Chevy bodies, but not the classics like the the BF, Pumpkin, and Clod. I guess some mysteries will never get solved. Hopefully someone will start 3d printing replica tailgates, or maybe RC4wd will do a classic Ranger body.

• Like 2

"Sigh".... didn't think so. I just don't understand why they'll license newer Ford and Chevy bodies, but not the classics like the the BF, Pumpkin, and Clod. I guess some mysteries will never get solved. Hopefully someone will start 3d printing replica tailgates, or maybe RC4wd will do a classic Ranger body.

not that this has anything to do with licencing issues but at work we had changed all our vans from Vauxhall to ford and the hoops that the motor work shop had to go through to comply with the ford warranty's were so stupid like making sure the water and air hoses had the right pressures and the spanners etc had to be one make etc etc, so knowing that the crazy licencing issues don't surprise me!
  • Like 1

Continuing the topic from the re-re MB thread, people may benefit from the CRP support cage when they build their re-re Blackfoot. If so they'll need several separate CRP items to do it. One of them part# 1624 is available currently for a good deal from the seller 'alienracer' currently: http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-TEAM-CRP-REAR-BODY-POST-SUPPORTS-BLACKFOOT-1624-/262270178885

Just a heads up!

• Like 1

This is something Wandy and I discussed in PM's before any details about the re-re Monster Beetle were known. I simply couldn't imagine Tamiya would keep the original diff design. Whereas it's barely OK for the Brat and Frog, I consider it absolutely inacceptable for the Monster Beetle and Blackfoot with the lower gearing and thus higher torque. Some people prefer the re-res to be as close to the originals as possible, and I can see where they're coming from, but some of the re-res really needed the improvements they got and would have benefited from several more. I firmly believe Tamiya should have massively improved the gearbox of the Monster Beetle and Blackfoot, and I'm deeply disappointed they didn't.

PS: I know some are happy with the original design, but they truly must be a minority. When I worked for a Tamiya distributor (1983-2000), I serviced countless "trailing arm ORV's", and I can't recall seeing a single one with an OK gearbox.

I grenaded the gearbox in my Mud Blaster in a matter of weeks after buying it.

Most disappointing but not really surprising. I would have thought with regard to the re-re that replacing the original gearbox and rear arms with that from the King Blackfoot would have made most sense.

On a side note, when I sold the Mud blaster the brat shell was trashed, so I fitted my original sand rover shell on it (This was back in the late 80's, early 90's), and it actually fitted rather well.

I had a Mud Blaster as well around the same time (1989, my first tamiya). I can honestly say I never had any gearbox problems with it. Just the very well known hex shaft issue. With money saved up from my paper route earnings, I installed a Trinity Monster Mash and Thorp universals with the telescopic type shafts. Original Gears/pinion and metal side plates held up fine with little signs of wear except for the pinion I remember had very sharp edges but no broken teeth. I'm actually surprised by all the gear box issues folks are experiencing with the MB re re. I have a re re MB and vintage BF for the shelf and I will be getting the re re BF as a runner to relive those experiences. Thanks for letting me share and reminiscing here

• Like 1

I have just built the chassis on my monster beetle I have the body left to do. I had forgotten just how big these are, cannot wait to get a Blackfoot 👍

I had a Mud Blaster as well around the same time (1989, my first tamiya). I can honestly say I never had any gearbox problems with it

Same here- I never even knew these gearboxes were famous for failure until I became a Tamiya collector around 2003, even then I wasn't really interested in vintage monster trucks so I never paid it much attention.

I never had the budget for faster motors - I just hammered mine to bits on the gravel outside my house until eventually my parents sold it at a boot sale. The Brat shell really was way too fragile for sitting over a monster truck :D

• Like 2

I've got a feeling this isn't a re release at all. My money's on a completely new chassis and modernised body. Something more like Axial are doing chassis wise.

I think even the staunchest Tamiya supporter would be skeptical of this ever coming to pass. They're certainly capable of doing such a thing of course but I'm positive pigs would be entering low orbit before they ever decided to.

• Like 3

Curious that they haven't lifted the cover yet...what are they waiting for?

I hear their suppliers are running late with the production of Bodyshells with embossed FORD lettering! (Joke)

• Like 2

I hear their suppliers are running late with the production of Bodyshells with embossed FORD lettering! (Joke)

I heard they are dodging the Ford licensing issue by making it a FØRD F-I50.

• Like 2

MAN with the Blackfoot and Optima re-re's coming as a double-whammy that's 3 major re-re's in a row that are "must buys" for me!

Looks like I will have to start selling my body again. :lol:

• Like 6

MAN with the Blackfoot and Optima re-re's coming as a double-whammy that's 3 major re-re's in a row that are "must buys" for me!

Looks like I will have to start selling my body again. :lol:

Beef, nobody wants that. In fact, we'll pay you not to! :P

• Like 6

Could we be getting the CR-01 Blackfoot? Without the rollerbar :P

20140620_232937_zpsaj9j3rvy.jpg

• Like 2

Poor BF. The excitement has been stifled by the Optima announcement. I'm hoping we see this in the next month or two.

• Like 2

Poor BF. The excitement has been stifled by the Optima announcement. I'm hoping we see this in the next month or two.

No stifling here! Blackfoot will see more of my hard earned pennies than the Optima ;)

• Like 2

No stifling here! Blackfoot will see more of my hard earned pennies than the Optima ;)

I will definitely be getting both... but I'm pretty sure the Optima will be getting more of my pennies at $299. :P

• Like 2

Blackfoot will see more of my hard earned pennies than the Optima

Wow!

You aren't wrong. The original Blackfoot and Monster Beetle window parts both came in different production runs with two tint levels that I am aware of, both of which are darker than the modern BF3 and MB2015 parts. I believe the earliest variant had the almost blackout level tint darkness, lightened in later variants. But the modern plastic has a less brittle texture and slightly lighter tint than the lighter of the two originals.

Finally got round to checking my original BF and BF3 tinted windows and you are absolutely right. The BF3 windows are a lighter shade and more flexible than the originals.

20160207_120512_zps201styvs.jpg

• Like 1

I think the lack of enthusiasm, in comparison to the Optima, also has something to do with the fact that we are all expecting the re-release Blackfoot to come with a body full of holes and no Ford branding or original grille. We will have to give Tamiya the benefit of the doubt until we actually see the re-re in photos but if the worst fears are confirmed then they couldn't have chosen a worse time to bring it back when Kyosho are showing how well a re-release can be done.

Having said that, the flaws won't put me off and I will still be buying one regardless, lol. But lets hope that Tamiya are making us eat humble pie when we finally get a look at this re-release.

• Like 4