Wandy

Blackfoot re-release #58633

Will the diff explode on first use like the beetle or is it fixed on this one?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Nobbi1977 said:

Will the diff explode on first use like the beetle or is it fixed on this one?

It'll blow up...  *boom!*

Terry

• Like 2

Would have been nice to have it licenced. Regardless, I'm gettin me one. Still looks pretty Blackfooty to me. 

Thanks Mr T. :D

11 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

It'll blow up...  *boom!*

Terry

My 2015 MB rear end on my Blaster is holding up to 3s and a 15t for nearly 60 packs since putting the new rear end on and I am not nice to it. Grab two 2" washers and three longer screws and voila, no spreading gears.

8 hours ago, Thirteen30 said:

My 2015 MB rear end on my Blaster is holding up to 3s and a 15t for nearly 60 packs since putting the new rear end on and I am not nice to it. Grab two 2" washers and three longer screws and voila, no spreading gears.

Can we see a photo of that mod please. thanks

• Like 2

It's not the prettiest and I've been meaning to make some nicer version but since this thing spends more time in the dirt than being clean I decided just to keep it the way it is. I bought 2" washers (diameter), ran a stepper bit through the center so it would clear the output shaft lip, and notched 4 parts to let longer screws pass by. Cost me about 5 dollars for everything (Longer screws, new lock nuts, and the big washers) and took about 5 minutes with a bench grinder. I'd say a dremel would make a nicer finish as you could just notch the washer with a cutoff wheel and make it look a bit nicer but that's nothing in worried about.

In all honesty it works fine, the spacers are clamped on there pretty good with just the shoulder of the lock nut and screw head and there is no clicking or hiccups to report. Drop a bit of preload off (or internally limit the shock extension) the rear end to keep the new dog bones from coming out and you are golden. Like I said, Mud, Snow, Racing, etc. If anyone wants more pictures let me know.

image.jpg

Mind the double post (cell phone), but this is what the other side looks like. Quick and dirty but it works! These were all mocked up on my original rear end and went onto my 2015 rear end. Started out running a 20t axial on 2s, than the 15t on 2s and 3s. With the 15t on 3s the chassis is pretty much at its limits of performance. Anything more is overkill (I ran 3s and a 4600kv in my lunchbox so I know about overkill lol) and will just end in a pile of broken parts, but for racing it's a perfect setup. Im probably going to get a Blackfoot myself one day and keep it for a vintage 2wd racer and run the sidewinder 3/15t combo again but find some nicer shocks and one day build my own sassy chassis style pan chassis out of cf and aluminum (it will be nicer than my hack jobs you see me post here lol).

image.jpg

• Like 1

BTW - the thing I was thinking, about the lame "new" grill in particular, is I think it raises a legitimate question:

If Tamiya -- at the one final time they would ever again produce a certain part or design (eg, the official re-issue of a model) -- opts not to do so, therefore assuring they would not now and never would in the future suffer lost sales of the specific abandoned parts/designs to 3rd party replicas, reproductions of those parts and those parts only become fair game to mention openly on TC and the TC forum.

In the case of the Blackfoot 2016 I think this would include reproductions of the original grill, tailgate, hood lettering and decals.

@netsmithUK @TWINSET what do you guys think?

• Like 1

Update on the gearbox mod. My insane workload is going to slightly ease up next week so I'm going to get the production run started. I'll get an initial 30 sets (which is 60 parts) ordered along with all nuts and screws and then I'll start taking orders.

Watch this space. 

• Like 4

I noticed the 2016 Blackfoot listed on tamiya USA website the other day and now it's gone. What the heck?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beefmuffin said:

If Tamiya -- at the one final time they would ever again produce a certain part or design (eg, the official re-issue of a model) -- opts not to do so, therefore assuring they would not now and never would in the future suffer lost sales of the specific abandoned parts/designs to 3rd party replicas, reproductions of those parts and those parts only become fair game to mention openly on TC and the TC forum.

In the case of the Blackfoot 2016 I think this would include reproductions of the original grill, tailgate, hood lettering and decals.

@netsmithUK @TWINSET what do you guys think?

If you want to reproduce stuff then that's up to you - The agreement TC made with Tamiya was not to allow the promotion or advertising of repro goods on TC and that hasn't changed.

At least two traders here had Tamiya contact them when all the repro issues kicked off, at least one was threatened with legal action, as was TC.

If that's a risk you want to take, press on, just don't advertise it here.

• Like 1

There seems to be a lot of messing around. Why not show it at the exhibition (twice now!) yet release first pics at the time of the show via Tamiya usa site. Baffled!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

If you want to reproduce stuff then that's up to you - The agreement TC made with Tamiya was not to allow the promotion or advertising of repro goods on TC and that hasn't changed.

At least two traders here had Tamiya contact them when all the repro issues kicked off, at least one was threatened with legal action, as was TC.

If that's a risk you want to take, press on, just don't advertise it here.

No worries, it was just a thought.  More sour grapes than anything else really.  Not happy with the Lamefoot 2016.

• Like 1

Re: 2016 grill

Well, Bob Chandler used these aftermarket grills since he renewed the original Bigfoot using the 1979 Ford XLT trucks.

Anyway, here's Bigfoot III pulling the big sled in 1984, sporting the infamous SBF grill...

Salt on a wound? ;):D

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/36/0b/1d/360b1d938bb2f95883f5eca8be237e1e.jpghttps://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ce/f1/72/cef1725c4bab832392f02d616afca604.jpg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, mongoose1983 said:

Re: 2016 grill

Well, Bob Chandler used these aftermarket grills since he renewed the original Bigfoot using the 1979 XLT trucks. Here's Bigfoot III pulling the big sled in 1984, sporting the infamous SBF grill...

Salt on a wound? ;):D

Bigfoot III, eh?  Well... I have no issue with that grill being on the Blackfoot III.  Boom!  Salty wound averted!  :P

• Like 1

Putting the Blackfoot to one side! Those original monster trucks look so much better than the things they have today (bodies that have big floppy ears and tails so they look like animals) what's that all about and I seen a picture of one that had a cape on looked like batman! REALLY:rolleyes:!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, moffman said:

Putting the Blackfoot to one side! Those original monster trucks look so much better than the things they have today (bodies that have big floppy ears and tails so they look like animals) what's that all about and I seen a picture of one that had a cape on looked like batman! REALLY:rolleyes:!

And further to the point, why don't we see some major advances in Truck-a-saurus technology?  They should be unimaginably lethal by now.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, TWINSET said:

...The agreement TC made with Tamiya...

At least two traders here had Tamiya contact them...

I wonder if it's part of someone's job in Shizuoka to creep around, quietly stalking this message board and TC in general... :ph34r:

• Like 1

I'm going to chime in here against the grain... I have an original BF. My dad bought it for me about 86?!? Me, my dad and grandad built it together. I still remember my grandad explaining to me about switch lubricant on the MSC and its first run around the lounge floor. 

They are both no longer with us, and now I play with it with my son. It's an utterly prized possession but it's been battered to crap so many times. It's been round BMX tracks, crashed into kerbs, round skate parks and the only thing that has ever gone wrong with it is one of the dog bones popped out. Twice. In 30 years of abuse. I'm genuinely over the moon they're re-released it. I couldn't give a crap what mine is worth. I'll never sell it. I will be straight down to my LHS for at least one of the new ones and I'll build it with my lad and we'll run them together. Maybe now the original can take be excused being battered at the skate park though! 

To me, this is what these models are all about, yes they look great on the shelf, but the real value of them is to enjoy them with friends and family in my opinion whether or not it's got a ford badge on ;-)

• Like 9

You're working on a Blackfoot, right? Then what about the 1985 Allison V-12 powered Awesome Kong II? How does that grill look? ;)

Awesome Kong II (1985, King Kong monster truck)

http://offroadaction.ca/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/awesomekong6.jpg

Look at those carbs!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/97/84/da/9784da062825249e5a484f3014d3abfc.jpg

Williams-Kongs.jpg

Think I'm going to find me some old Blackfoot body to go RED :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beefmuffin said:

I wonder if it's part of someone's job in Shizuoka to creep around, quietly stalking this message board and TC in general... :ph34r:

It's possible, car companies do it.  It was big news over here in Northern Ireland a year or so ago  http://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/belfast-news/online-trader-ballymena-3000-counterfeit-9528624 What the report doesn't say is, him and his wife had there Range Rover and Porsche seized and sold under proceeds of crime laws lol

• Like 1

By the way, I frankly doubt Hobby stores around the world nowadays would beat the old advertising...

http://i.imgur.com/p4Qr18h.jpg

Who doesn't want a Blackfoot now? ;):D

• Like 11