Wandy

Blackfoot re-release #58633

I just finished building my 2016 Blackfoot. 

DSC_0094.jpg

I decided to paint the grille black like the original because I like the look it gives.  I also wanted to mention that the black grille was a factory option on the 7th gen F100/150 with the Free Wheeling option.  I have seen some people posting some where that it wasn't an original thing and just wanted to correct that.  Here is an ad for it in post #47.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1014761-7th-gen-spotters-thread-4.html

• Like 9

Looks awesome Richi! According to UPS, mine will be here tomorrow. I'm on vacation till next week, so it should be built. ;) I like the black grill, might do that to mine as well.

That black grill looks much better than the silver, I think I'm adding this Blackfoot to my next purchase list, is Modelsport the cheapest place to get it in the UK?

3 hours ago, Jason1145 said:

That black grill looks much better than the silver, I think I'm adding this Blackfoot to my next purchase list, is Modelsport the cheapest place to get it in the UK?

Fusion Hobbies with the TC discount :) 

Here is a better shot of the front,

DSC_0064.jpg

Some day I plan on getting an original grille but they seem to be hard to come by recently with people getting them for their re release..

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, RichiPuppy said:

Here is a better shot of the front,

DSC_0064.jpg

Some day I plan on getting an original grille but they seem to be hard to come by recently with people getting them for their re release..

That's a lovely job you've done man! I'm starting mine on Monday and will definetly be blacking out the grill too. Couple of questions for you...

1. Did you brush the grill or spray it?

2. Did you need to sand down the chrome finish for the paint to adhere ok?

3. Also, is it matt or gloss? Looks really well done! 

Thanks man!

1.  I used rattle cans.

2.  I did not sand it but I did use primer on it.  So far my painted High Lift grille has held up for almost 10 year so I figured it should be fine.  It may not hold up to a crash but I am guessing there would be worse repercussions.

3. And it is semi gloss.

1 hour ago, RichiPuppy said:

1.  I used rattle cans.

2.  I did not sand it but I did use primer on it.  So far my painted High Lift grille has held up for almost 10 year so I figured it should be fine.  It may not hold up to a crash but I am guessing there would be worse repercussions.

3. And it is semi gloss.

Ahaa, ok cool, I'll try that, thank you!

9 hours ago, mheald said:

Fusion Hobbies with the TC discount :) 

What's this? Do we need a code?

39 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

What's this? Do we need a code?

Yup - TC Members get 5% discount, TC Subscribers get 10%

Just email Fusion and they'll let you have the relevant code for entry during checkout

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Jason1145 said:

Danke Schoen! :)

Second time I've seen this today - are you on totalMini ?

Just got three blackfoots coming . WOOHOO!! thanks stellamodels . @ $128.US each .

Now the waiting game :( .. 

• Like 1

Hey guys, I can't seem to find a post on this though I know it is buried in the MB thread, but does the new BF axle kit fit right on to the vintage cars? Again, sorry if there is a thread all about this, the search came up with pages of stuff and I couldn't find the right link. 

On 13 September 2016 at 11:39 PM, Pintopower said:

Hey guys, I can't seem to find a post on this though I know it is buried in the MB thread, but does the new BF axle kit fit right on to the vintage cars? Again, sorry if there is a thread all about this, the search came up with pages of stuff and I couldn't find the right link. 

Yer it should do , as they are the same rear end . Diff & Arms .  

But remember the re re is not that great . as you know of . but it will fit .

I think the frog re re is better out drives , axles etc . 

The vintage BF , MB , frog had the hex axles out drive etc . 

3 hours ago, matman said:

Yer it should do , as they are the same rear end . Diff & Arms .  

But remember the re re is not that great . as you know of . but it will fit .

I think the frog re re is better out drives , axles etc . 

The vintage BF , MB , frog had the hex axles out drive etc . 

Yes, I know they aren't great but is it because they tend to pop out? Why do you feel the frog is better? I own none of these rere's so genuinely don't know. Though I want to try these axles on my new rear suspension for the ORV, my actual plan is to use these on my Hornet.

6 hours ago, Pintopower said:

Yes, I know they aren't great but is it because they tend to pop out? Why do you feel the frog is better? I own none of these rere's so genuinely don't know. Though I want to try these axles on my new rear suspension for the ORV, my actual plan is to use these on my Hornet.

The frog setup was mentioned in the MB thread ! . 

Well if your putting it in your rear end , you can see it's just short & then adjust your rear to work ?. 

So after buying both sets of axles, I see what the issue is. This style of CVD axle is not compatible with a trailing arm suspension. When the arm flexes under load, the axle is more than happy to say goodbye to its home. Well, the design is appalling to say the least. Fortunately, I fixed it. Thanks for the info. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pintopower said:

So after buying both sets of axles, I see what the issue is. This style of CVD axle is not compatible with a trailing arm suspension. When the arm flexes under load, the axle is more than happy to say goodbye to its home. Well, the design is appalling to say the least. Fortunately, I fixed it. Thanks for the info. 

I'm so glad I went with telescoping arms via Thorp/Traxxas/Robinson...

Terry

12 hours ago, Frog Jumper said:

I'm so glad I went with telescoping arms via Thorp/Traxxas/Robinson...

Terry

That, my friend, was the correct solution with the trailing arms. Oh well, I fixed it. 

Hi Guys.

Just put one of these together, and have a question about the front wheels.

There seems to be a lot of axial movement of my wheel rim on the axel.  I can slide it a at least 1,5mm from side to side.

Is it supposed to be like this ?

it does not matter if it is the stock nylon bushing, or the ball bearings installed.  they have equal dimensions.

Video:  

1.jpg

DSC03862.JPG

DSC03863.JPG

DSC03865.JPG

DSC03867.JPG

43 minutes ago, s737500 said:

Hi Guys.

Just put one of these together, and have a question about the front wheels.

There seems to be a lot of axial movement of my wheel rim on the axel.  I can slide it a at least 1,5mm from side to side.

Is it supposed to be like this ?

it does not matter if it is the stock nylon bushing, or the ball bearings installed.  they have equal dimensions.

Only 1.5mm, my Monster Beetle reissue is closer to 2mm.

Unfortunately this is one of the many traits where they didn't fix the tolerances from the old molds/designs. On the plus side it is big enough to properly shim with a washer and even if left alone doesn't do any harm. 

Best mod you can do on these chassis I have found is to mount the steering servo centrally and use new tie rods. I find the benefit of this outweighs any issues with the slack.