Rb4276

Couple of egress questions

I'm thinking of purchasing an egress kit. I always loved the look. My questions are :

How difficult is the build?

Is it prone to breakages/ reliability?

Is it to nice of a kit to make a runner?

1- The build is easy and quite fun.

2- If you don't crash it, you won't break it. It can handle hot motors and short gearing no problem.

3- It makes a great runner if you are not big on jumping your off-roaders. The car definitely will not handle cart-wheels or bad landings very well. Also if you are a novice, ball diff setup, break-in and maintenance can be tricky. The newly re-designed ball diffs are a more adjustable modern-style (unlike the 80's ones), so it's easy to let them get too-loose as they run-in (which will cause them to melt-down). If you know how to deal with ball-diffs, then there is really no concern about relability.

If you plan on running this car, get some DF03 wheels and modern tires. I prefer the Tamiya high-density-K tires. They are very hard and last very long, even on asphalt....yet they work great off-road. They have now been replaced by Dual-Block K tires which are also hard, but I have yet to use.

1- The build is easy and quite fun.

2- If you don't crash it, you won't break it. It can handle hot motors and short gearing no problem.

3- It makes a great runner if you are not big on jumping your off-roaders. The car definitely will not handle cart-wheels or bad landings very well. Also if you are a novice, ball diff setup, break-in and maintenance can be tricky. The newly re-designed ball diffs are a more adjustable modern-style (unlike the 80's ones), so it's easy to let them get too-loose as they run-in (which will cause them to melt-down). If you know how to deal with ball-diffs, then there is really no concern about relability.

If you plan on running this car, get some DF03 wheels and modern tires. I prefer the Tamiya high-density-K tires. They are very hard and last very long, even on asphalt....yet they work great off-road. They have now been replaced by Dual-Block K tires which are also hard, but I have yet to use.

Thanks for the input. I do like jumping my cars so that is not great lol. I built a ball diff once for my astute when that came out. I had no problems then but like you said they are newly designed so I am a novice. I'm still on the fence but definitely leaning towards an egress. Thanks again

94eg is there any hop ups to purchase prior to the build to replace the stock part?

Most seem to recommend alloy front & rear hubs (yeah-racing brand). They are expensive though, and I never personally used them. I've always had plastic hubs on my Vanquish runner since 1990 and only cracked one once when an improper rear kyosho shock setup caused a dog-bone to drop out. That won't happen with original kit parts like the Egress.

Other than adding the DF03 wheels/tires, the Egress looks good right out of the box. Personally I would definitely run it as-is. The trick for me would be finding a decent stick-pack lipo that fits well.....cause I will never go back to nimh craptasic batteries again in my life. 10.5 or 13.5 brushless would also be nice, but I mostly run brushed motors (15T to 19T).

The only thing I would consider adding at a later time would be an Avante center ball diff. The kit-included center one-way is a racing option that you wouldn't want for bashing (it ruins braking).....therefore your Out-of-the-box setup should probably be the locked center option (locked 4WD). But adding the third ball diff at a later time will make for a very interesting before/after comparison. It's also very easy to swap in, so no worries about having one during your initial build. Just start collecting bits and looking forward to in the future.

Alloy front hubs are useful, as the original already snapped after first run.

I use the wheels and tires of a CC01 Pajero, as Tamiya once did with the Blazing Star.

Offroad works fine bur onroad is a thrill.

Maintaining diffs is essential. And don't crash it! Front gearbox already broke of chassis :blink:

My re re is stock with yeah racing front and rear alloy hubs ,I have been running it for nearly 18 months, it runs a 6.5 T sensored brushless, 2/3 c lipo either on flat grass/dirt or road surface .

No issues whatsoever, but I haven't smashed it yet either

• Like 1

I'm thinking of purchasing an egress kit. I always loved the look. My questions are :

How difficult is the build?

Is it prone to breakages/ reliability?

Is it to nice of a kit to make a runner?

Just bear in mind it is still a vintage kit by design and behaviour - if you want to race in vintage classes or light occassional recreational use then fine, but if you expect a robust vehicle for weekend park/car park duties with Traxxas Slash style robustness then look elsewhere.

Not trying to be negative but the Egress does need a little bit of respect - if you want to do big dirt jumps then I'd look more towards the modern TRF buggies (or dare I say it other modern race buggies).

Its a fab build experience - quite technical but not complex if you follow the manual carefully. Trouble is by the time youve spent 10s of hours caressing the lovely alloy and CF parts you don;t want to ruin it ;)

• Like 1

I agree with the above.....If you want a Tamiya for precision driving and robustness for flying, the DB01 is the best inexpensive option (plus a couple choice hop-ups). More advanced, tougher & better version would be the DB01RRR.... but it would cost you. Body & tires are not included.

If you live in the USA, then the 502X at TamiyaUSA for $300 shipped is almost impossible to beat.

Thanks for all the replies. Since I would definitely want to run it I think I will pass on the egress. I give you guys credit for keeping shelf queens or kits sealed lol. I could never do it. Since I am in the states I'll check out db01 and 502x. Otherwise it's back to square one on what 4wd to get.

The only thing I would consider adding at a later time would be an Avante center ball diff.

I thought only the 2001 had the centre diff?

My runner has a locked centre. Tried the one way but as you say made braking non-existent. My runner is a modded Vajra and I'm wondering if it's contributory to the steering being very wobbly. I've bought some new lunsford balls and cups to try and tighten up the front end.

Avante, Vanquish, Avante 2001 & Avante 2011 all have a non-adjustable center ball-diff. The Avante 2011's center diff is slightly different though. Functionally it's the same, and even drops right into old cars as a complete unit....but many of the internal parts are not compatible with the vintage center diffs. Tamiya switched to a square drive prop joint instead of the old splined joint.

Vajra came with a locked center only.

Egress has a locked or one-way center option.

Thanks for that. How hard is it to gather the parts for a centre diff.

I have a 2011 but its boxed. A black special with a one way and my egress started life as a vajra so is locked.

TamiyaUSA has the manual on their Avante 2011 page. You can look up the parts or parts-bags required, and then order them from your favorite supplier.

• Like 1

I can't bring myself to dirty my Vajra! Part of me can't wait to take it out, think I'll wait until the weather is better!

Yes. Sand in your Vaj would be quite lame. Once you get it in there, it's hard to get out.

• Like 2

Yes. Sand in your Vaj would be quite lame. Once you get it in there, it's hard to get out.

Yeesh!

Important to use waterproof electrics then so you can just rinse it out ;) !!