pizzachaude

Kyosho Optima re-release coming!

The rear tower looks larger too actually. Not really a surprise that they would upgrade the shocks. The big question is...does it come with chain drive? I really hope so.

We predicted right my friend ! This is the final missing piece to my RC collection

• Like 1

I am super stoked about this car….my father built one when I was about 10 years old (around 1987-88) and I thought it was the most awesome thing ever. To me, the re-release is more than just a ‘cool car’ It brings back some wonderful 80's childhood memories.

Looking at the box art, it does look like a huge pain to paint…this may be a dumb question, but does it HAVE to be spraypainted/airbrushed? Would it look okay if you were to paint the inside using a paintbrush?

I’ll have to ask my father how he painted it, but I would think using a paintbrush on the inside would give you more precision.

Great, thanks… I think I’ll take that route then if it looks just as good. That is if/when my wife lets me buy one =)

This would be my ‘crown jewel’ that I’d be too afraid to run. I’ve been longing for this car to come back for about 20 years

:rolleyes:

I know the re-release photo is very vague, but it doesn't look like it has the original 'sand super' tires on it? spikes look too short?

We predicted right my friend ! This is the final missing piece to my RC collection

Yep, it was a no brainer really though. I do believe that the Ultima will eventually come along too but it makes much more sense to bring back the Optima next as Kyosho are riding the crest of a wave with their re-releases right now and everyone seems to want an Optima whereas the Scorpion, Beetle and Tomahawk split opinion somewhat.

I still say they will also bring back the Javelin, Ultima and Optima Mid too before finishing the "Legendary Series" with the original Lazer. I am still hopeful for a Turbo Scorpion too, or at least the remaining parts to make one out of a standard Scorpion.

I know the re-release photo is very vague, but it doesn't look like it has the original 'sand super' tires on it? spikes look too short?

They will be new tyres that are similar to the original but with a new compound and modified tread to be suitable for modern tracks. I am confident that the tyre walls will still feature the Sand Super logo though, although they may be painted on as they are with the Scorpion.

As for dampers, well the towers front and rear are almost certainly new and larger, probably to accomodate the HG shocks. It will be interesting to see if the HG's come fitted as standard.

That's about how long they are after 2 runs anyway...

• Like 2

Lets hope Kyosho continue the trend with the Optima Mid next (not too soon though, I need to save up)

Ultima,optima and a mid out in the same year! I'd be skint and divorced! :o

• Like 2

I’m sure it will be belt (maybe shaft) driven…I’m wondering if I should try to find a Lemans motor and a MSC to keep it semi-vintage. If not, I probably wouldn't put much more than a sport tuned in it.

Yep, it was a no brainer really though. I do believe that the Ultima will eventually come along too but it makes much more sense to bring back the Optima next as Kyosho are riding the crest of a wave with their re-releases right now and everyone seems to want an Optima whereas the Scorpion, Beetle and Tomahawk split opinion somewhat.

I still say they will also bring back the Javelin, Ultima and Optima Mid too before finishing the "Legendary Series" with the original Lazer. I am still hopeful for a Turbo Scorpion too, or at least the remaining parts to make one out of a standard Scorpion.

I'm with you on the Turbo Scorpion, we only need the body and the roof.

My predictions, based on what they did with the Scorpion:

- Same shock design as Tomahawk re-re (just need longer ones for the rear)

- Same gearbox layout as original, but with 48 pitch gears

- Belt drive (was a common hop-up anyway)

- Cross-drilled axles and pinned hexes instead of the original taper-fit hexes

- Wheels and tires very similar to originals

- Full ball bearings

- No motor or ESC included

- Improvements to the steering servo mount and fromt bumper/skidplate (weakest points on the original)

- Javelin in same spec next year (which is what I'll be holding out for, most likely)

• Like 2

Another one of my faves as a kid. I saw someone post on another site March release date. Any truth?

To me the chain drive was a huge part of this buggy's personality so I would be disappointed to see it go. They can simply offer the belt as a hop up for me.

I think if this really is hitting the stores in March then the Javelin will be announced before the year is out.

• Like 1

I agree Wandy. I bought the belt kit for my Turbo Optima in the 80's, but now the chain is back in :P

That said, it would really surprise me if the Optima 2016 gets a chain.....

I will stick my neck out and say that it will come with chain as standard, but it will be a much tougher version.

...and the roll bar.[/quote

Actually the straight Roll Bar was only on some Turbo Scorpions. I don't recall if it was with the first or second batch. My Turbo Scorpion came with the bent bar and later when I found the straight roll bar, I noticed the roll cage did not fit well, you end up having to shim it 2 to 3 mm up to make it work.

• Like 1