pizzachaude

Kyosho Optima re-release coming!

Have to say that this is probably the biggest buggy re-release since the Sand Scorcher. It has the same cross-manufacturer fanboy appeal that the Scorcher has. They are truly going to sell heaps of these things.

I'm still sceptical that the kit will come with both chain and belt drive components as standard though. There may have been some misinterpretation of the item description when they say that the builder can choose which drive system they want.....they just forgot to mention that we will have to pay some extra readies for the belt system, lol. :)

Happy to be proven wrong but it would seem like they were throwing away an opportunity to make extra money if they included all of the parts as standard. And wouldn't a belt need different drive pulleys to a chain? That's quite a bit of extra kit to be supplying for "free".

Mind you, Kyosho have done such a fantastic job of their re-releases so far that maybe I'm not giving them enough credit for their customer care. We will find out soon enough, I guess.

• Like 2

Nnnnnngh, hurry with that Turbo already!! I'm really excited by this but I had the turbo bitd so I 'need' one of those. It came with the gold option house dampers and lemans motor. How long will they keep us waiting for that I wonder. Congrats to all of you who are after this one, really pleased for you all :)

Hope to see some builds when they filter through.

I've just converted my Optima to belt drive, the parts used was minimal so I wouldn't see a problem with Kyosho providing both types of drive. The belt and chain diff halves are interchangeable. Can't wait to see what price it will be here in the UK, already got the wife and kids on eBay!

• Like 1

I've just converted my Optima to belt drive, the parts used was minimal so I wouldn't see a problem with Kyosho providing both types of drive. The belt and chain diff halves are interchangeable. Can't wait to see what price it will be here in the UK, already got the wife and kids on eBay!

I guess it isn't unfathomable. The drive sprockets changed in both diffs and swap belt for chain or vice versa. But from an economic and even a marketing perspective it would make more sense to not include both and if it really is that cheap and easy to make the belt parts offer them as a really cheap hop-up. Alternatively they are either raising the cost or lowering the margin of every unit and at the same time essentially ensuring that tons of chains or belts will end up never being used, flood ebay, or just end up in the trash. Meanwhile I don't think having both options in the box would sway anyone's decision to buy a kit or not one way or another. Literally, no one.

It's just two pulleys and a belt, or two sprockets and a chain. And probably, these days, the chain is the more expensive of the two to make. So I could see them including both: the chain for the purists, and the belt for the serious runners.

If it does come with both, then I know I for one will have to try it both ways. And that means I get to build the car twice! (Seriously, you have to take apart the whole car to get at it.)

I'm glad Optima 2016 has so much improvement.

However,I'm still wondering if it has a more reliable servo mount or not, a stronger servo tie-rod as well?

Besides, the alminum plates were so vulnerable, will it be improved?

If the design group improves them all, I'll be definitely happy with the re-re kit.

I'm glad Optima 2016 has so much improvement.

However,I'm still wondering if it has a more reliable servo mount or not, a stronger servo tie-rod as well?

Besides, the alminum plates were so vulnerable, will it be improved?

If the design group improves them all, I'll be definitely happy with the re-re kit.

All of those will be addressed

• Like 1

Is there any speculation as to whether there will be more in the series with this chassis, or will they go straight to a 'Mid' after this. Very tempted to get one of these, especially as it appears that the belt conversion will be included, but would prefer a turbo, or the blue Salute, and don't want to buy 2, as I'll be wanting to get a mid as well if they release that.

Beautiful!

I'm sure there'll be further Optima variants!

[jedi mind trick]

Turbo there will be.

[/jedi mind trick]

• Like 1

If they continue down the optima route I hope it is either the Turbo or Pro next. I was never a fan of the looks of the Javelin or Salute myself.

And then on to the Mid :rolleyes:

Hop ups <--- my wish list

ball diff. (front & rear)

front one way

low profile tires and wheels (Turbo Optima, Optima Pro, Salute)

universal jointed shafts with cross-pin

annodised chassis (red, dark blue. two versions)

I never give the optima a second look when it originally came out because I had my hotshot and rc10 and if I remember in my local club the few people who had them had trouble with the chain drive train? So it did put me off but looking at the picture's of it I can't wait to get my hands on one I've never had or built any kyosho so hopefully this will be a first! Any dates on and price out yet?

I'm pretty sure the Turbo Optima had a clear gear covering iirc. (well smoked anyway, for the spur/pinion cover).

Although there can be no doubt that the Javelin will be re-released, and possibly the Salute too, I have my doubts that they will bring the Turbo Optima back as a kit. So far they have not re-released the Turbo Scorpion but instead have trickled out the extra parts ....needed to build one out of a standard Scorpion... as hop ups. Just the body parts and roof are required now and hopefully that will happen this year.

I could see them doing the same with the Turbo Optima.

As for the Mid, I would say that is likely to happen. They made so many different variants of that buggy but surely the "classic" is the SWB with metal lower chassis.

The Ultima should be on the way too, with a bit of luck.

I've never given half a glance to Kyosho before - they weren't around my local area when I was younger and I wasn't involved in racing, so I'd never heard of them until a disastrous encounter with an NIB Sand Master II nitro when I was 17.

But looking at the Scorpion, the Tomahawk and now this, I can see why they had such a following - what great-looking buggies.

Not sure if I can justify the cost but I'd love to fill up a shelf with new-built Kyosho buggy goodness...

I'm pretty sure the Turbo Optima had a clear gear covering iirc. (well smoked anyway, for the spur/pinion cover).

A torque limiting clutch comes with a smoked gear cover while Turbo Optima comes with a black,solid one.

Photo: ebay

$_35.JPG

m7adWjIgmh3naEAGDdUPEfA.jpg

Wow.

This awesome news. Not sure I will get one. Hate to think of the price though landed in OZ. The Tomahawk was very expensive at almost $400 and my Egress at almost $600 .

Great car as I raced the Turbo Optima for a yr.

• Like 1

A torque limiting clutch comes with a smoked gear cover while Turbo Optima comes with a black,solid one.

Photo: ebay

$_35.JPG

m7adWjIgmh3naEAGDdUPEfA.jpg

Thanks for the info, mine had a clear cover, wonder why, it was bought new and as far as I know no hop ups were specified, my Dad had the shop build it!