pizzachaude

Kyosho Optima re-release coming!

Some will think I'm mean when saying this, but a "modern approach....with the original shells" was exactly what Tamiya did with the Holiday Buggy and Sand Rover re-res. :wacko: But then again to be fair, so they did with the Hilifts and to some extent with the re-re Bruiser and Mountaineer, and that worked well! :D

• Like 3

I shall be struggling very hard not to buy this, especially having seen that the belt drive is included along with alloy gears. The only thing holding me back would be waiting for re-re of a later model with the pepperpot style wheels low profile tires, and gold shocks in the kit instead of the red ones (These we always a pain on my Ultima, leaked like sieves and the shock collars always cracked). It is however a great looking re-re, Kyosho have traded a bit of originality for improving the performance and reliability, and I think have got the blend just right.

• Like 2

Though I'm by far a bigger Tamiya fan than I'm a Kyosho fan, Kyosho again proves that they put more thought and effort into their re-res than Tamiya (mostly) does. I appreciate that many Tamiya fans want the re-res to be as true to the originals as possible and maybe Tamiya has decided to primarily cater for that. Though I kind of enjoy the unrectified flaws of the Tamiya re-res, I still like Kyosho's approach much more.

Close enough to the originals to look right and convey the "feeling" of the originals, but with improvements to make them perform and hold up better. And the use of technology not available and tight tolerances not financially viable "back then" to further improve the look, the durability and the performance. Something I wish Tamiya would have done with for instance the re-re SRB's.

I agree with you on this, as much as I'm a fan of the Tamiya re-re's I think the quality and thought that has gone onto this far exceeds most of Tamiya's re-re's (ie Monster Beetle gearbox). I'm all for nostalgia, but being able to run modern day motors and batteries has to be a huge winner for Kyosho.

Most peoples earliest experience with model grade RC would have been Tamiya (in the UK at least) so the 'simple' approach they have taken to the re-re's kind of makes sense. The racing scene in the late 80's and early 90's was dominated by Kyosho, Schumacher and Yokomo - you didn't really see any Tamiya's competing at the regional events, and the higher quality of these buggies really stood out, so it is good to see Kyosho continuing with the high quality and not rushing out hashed products.

• Like 1

Yes Mokei,

I'm thinking more along the lines of improving the originals in a sympathetic but functional manner, like the Bruiser with its way improved gearbox etc (pity they didn't improve articulation) rather than a completely modern chassis with the old shell plopped on top which is a bit of a cop out. I like what Kyosho have done here where they've improved it, but also made sure that the updates can be applied to the originals.

It's nice to have warts and all and new and imrpoved, hence why I mention a whole different 'super' line. Only using the word super as an example being it is already a Tamiya'ism!

• Like 2

Looks great and I'm definitely putting my order in for one (when the shops start their pre-orders) but I think comparisons with tamiya re-re's and others like kyoshos is a bit unfair in the fact that we should be glad for all the re-issue and some are going to be better than others like the tamiya SRB'S which they put a massive amount of effort in re-producing and they are a fantastic piece of model engineering as will no doubt the kyosho optima will be but like the SRB's it will be more expensive than the monster beetle/Blackfoot etc!

• Like 1

The Scorpion, Beetle and Tomahawk were product numbers 30613, 30614 & 30615 respectively...and yet the Optima is 30617. So what will 30616 be? Can only be the Turbo Scorpion or Ultima, surely?

• Like 1

This Got to be the best rere of 2016, can't see what would beat this. Excellent Kyosho.

The 959 is probably the last "monster" re-release that Tamiya could do, that could equal this Optima re-re for the shock-and-awe factor. Would be incredible if that happens this year too.

• Like 1

This kit is my collection. I've been keeping this for more than 10 years and I'll keep it in the future.

IMAG1374.jpg

• Like 2

...I think comparisons with tamiya re-re's and others like kyoshos is a bit unfair in the fact that we should be glad for all the re-issue and some are going to be better than others like the tamiya SRB'S which they put a massive amount of effort in re-producing and they are a fantastic piece of model engineering as will no doubt the kyosho optima will be but like the SRB's it will be more expensive than the monster beetle/Blackfoot etc!

LOL well, although I don't think any of us is complaining about getting re-releases in general (there are those that hate all re-re's... but they're probably not very interested in this thread). We all love them (or close enough) and are happy Tamiya started and keeps up the trend.

That being said, I don't think "fairness" is an issue here at all! I can hardly think of any products or product categories offered by competing companies that are a more fair comparison. Not only do you have the original products to benchmark against each other, you have the original vs new products to benchmark against each respectively, and then the new products to benchmark against each other... in addition to the process and approach which can be compared! How much more basis for comparison can you get??

I guarantee someone in product development or management at Tamiya is looking at this Optima re-release and getting very red in the face right about now. If it makes them pull out some more stops on future re-releases, that's exactly what should happen. Maybe this example is what Tamiya needs to see before they do a mediocre job with some future beloved re-release (eg, Bigwig).

• Like 3

Though I'm by far a bigger Tamiya fan than I'm a Kyosho fan, Kyosho again proves that they put more thought and effort into their re-res than Tamiya (mostly) does. I appreciate that many Tamiya fans want the re-res to be as true to the originals as possible and maybe Tamiya has decided to primarily cater for that. Though I kind of enjoy the unrectified flaws of the Tamiya re-res, I still like Kyosho's approach much more.

Close enough to the originals to look right and convey the "feeling" of the originals, but with improvements to make them perform and hold up better. And the use of technology not available and tight tolerances not financially viable "back then" to further improve the look, the durability and the performance. Something I wish Tamiya would have done with for instance the re-re SRB's.

To be fair, Tamiya were the first to do this kind of re-release 4 years ago whereby everything looks the same at 1st glance but is actually quite different on closer inspection. Even though there were huge changes to the Bruiser it still counts as a proper re-release as the changes made were carried out whilst maintaing the spirit of the original.

Stuff like the Holiday Buggy 2010 and Sand Rover 2011 are not re-releases though. They are merely tributes.

By and large Tamiya have got it right almost every time with their re-releases. The name changes of some buggies were obviously forced on them due to licencing issues but occasions where they cannot be defended are the Buggy Champ front tyres, Sand Scorcher fenders and also the failure to provide an all new "special" motor in kits that featured Technipower, Technigold and DynaTech motors back in the day.

No doubt the Blackfoot is going to irritate too when it comes with the BF3's Swiss Cheese body and front grille.

• Like 1

The 959 is probably the last "monster" re-release that Tamiya could do, that could equal this Optima re-re for the shock-and-awe factor. Would be incredible if that happens this year too.

Noooo! As much as I want a new 959 (or a few) I don't think I could afford it this year with the Optima & Blackfoot as well. Plus I can only hide so many boxes under the bed before my wife starts to ask why it is 3 foot off the ground :wacko:

• Like 2

Maybe start cutting into the mattress, or perhaps just put a pillowcase over the box, might not be too comfortable though! ;)

• Like 2

There is a black component right in front of the rear gearbox. Anyone knows what it might be? <<< Yer it's to hold the top chassis plate on + it has the gearbox exit for the chain as well .

The one that sits in the centre , is to help the chain , guide & chassis plate as well . << Just like the original did .

Hope this helps . >>>

At first, I had had no clue. Later, I came up with an idea.

I guess it can be a servo mount when short lipo is mounted. (just like the way Optima Pro is)

K.30617_51.jpg

My bad. Please take a look at a black thing.

Nice eye! To me that looks like something to help you space the chain guide / radio tray support! I had to guesstimate this when reassembling my Optima recently. Looks like they thought of a way to remove the guessing. NICE!

• Like 1

My bad. Please take a look at a black thing.

Now that , I do not know & of course didn't see . Would be some sort of brace ? to hold the centre chain guide maybe ?

Good call & sorry , I didn't see that before I answered .

• Like 1

Nice eye! To me that looks like something to help you space the chain guide / radio tray support! I had to guesstimate this when reassembling my Optima recently. Looks like they thought of a way to remove the guessing. NICE!

Whatever it is.. I wonder where my ESC should go

No idea, but it doesn't seem to be shown in the photo below once the top plate is attached:

K.30617_56.jpg

• Like 2