pizzachaude

Kyosho Optima re-release coming!

If Kyosho release the Turbo Optima they can put me down for two!!

Looking around the various RC forums the response has been overwhelmingly positive, however I have noticed the odd comment relating to how the new version looks "different". And it's true, the re-release does have a rather different aesthetic look to it and it's all down to the fat tyres, taller & wider dampers and the new driver figure.

And as much as I love this new take on the Optima I am not going to lie...I prefer the look of the original, as it just looks "tighter" and less cluttered with the smaller shocks and narrow, more spiky tyres (although I think the new ones will look a lot better with tyre lettering painted in). The new driver figure is better though and just needs a little getting used to.

So, since my Optima is being bought for the shelf I will be going with Pargu's original shock towers and a set of re-release Tomahawk dampers. The re-release just looks a little "swamped" by it's all new tyres and shocks IMO.

It's a shame that the rear quarter of the body has needed to be chopped into to accomodate the seemingly thicker gear cover too.

892bb283947781679591eb322a3ad745_zpsvbtc

86f9761ef9fe5a332119326fe79e871c_zpsrbbh

• Like 5

Wow, yeah, that really highlights the difference. I don't mind the shocks, but the new chunky tires just don't quite look... right. It takes away some of the svelte jungle-cat stance of the original.

• Like 2

According to this picture, it says:

the thickness of front shock tower: 2.0mm -> 3.0mm

the rest of aluminum plates: 2.0mm -> 2.5mm

material: 17S -> 6061

064850am6zp9rvd5p5aham.jpg.thumb.jpg

I'd like to appologize because of my earlier message. (I said: short lipo battery is fixed longitudinally. )

064849zwjzvmra0kbk4mx7.jpg.thumb.jpg

Sorry, my bad. That was totally wrong.

%2525E6%25259C%2525AA%2525E5%252591%2525

• Like 1

I dont think the tyres look that bad at all, paint the tyre lettering in, they will look fine, not really something that concerns me in any case, its the bulged sidewall on the new tyres being the main difference!

Lee

This could be an optical illusion.

To me it looks as tho the re-release has the exact same wheels and tyres (tires) on the front and back, yet the original appears to have a wheel and tyre combo that has a slightly larger diameter on the rear when compared to the front.

Just put my pre-order in with suitable steering servo with modelsport, didn't go for any speed controller or motor yet because I'm not sure I'm going to go brushless or brushed yet if I go brushless anybody out there recommend which one? (thinking nothing ballistic coz it is still eighties design & engineering)

For my re-re Optima to be, I'm going to use my old brushless motor with limited RPM.

%2525E6%25259C%2525AA%2525E5%252591%2525

To me it looks as tho the re-release has the exact same wheels and tyres (tires) on the front and back, yet the original appears to have a wheel and tyre combo that has a slightly larger diameter on the rear when compared to the front.

optical illusion, front and rears on original are identical

Looking around the various RC forums the response has been overwhelmingly positive, however I have noticed the odd comment relating to how the new version looks "different". And it's true, the re-release does have a rather different aesthetic look to it and it's all down to the fat tyres, taller & wider dampers and the new driver figure.

And as much as I love this new take on the Optima I am not going to lie...I prefer the look of the original, as it just looks "tighter" and less cluttered with the smaller shocks and narrow, more spiky tyres (although I think the new ones will look a lot better with tyre lettering painted in). The new driver figure is better though and just needs a little getting used to.

So, since my Optima is being bought for the shelf I will be going with Pargu's original shock towers and a set of re-release Tomahawk dampers. The re-release just looks a little "swamped" by it's all new tyres and shocks IMO.

It's a shame that the rear quarter of the body has needed to be chopped into to accomodate the seemingly thicker gear cover too.

892bb283947781679591eb322a3ad745_zpsvbtc

86f9761ef9fe5a332119326fe79e871c_zpsrbbh

Apart from the cut out for the gearbox, I admit I prefer the look of the re-re with the new tires [ :ph34r:]

Nah, the new tyres are definitely fatter. Not by a huge amount but enough to be noticeable.

493df371690fd2eb485a124ef64e4ae7_zpskzrk

f89dd9001bd249759accb0b977e6357f_zps9jvb

fa3ee325d34a8893fc5f6af31cd91214_zpseh8z

0e3ab06d3d4fd74c54ebfa14064d4f1c_zpsqqxp

723896a951fdc2b8c10fa0c7ed2e7ab0_zps7ogh

f43fd1927a93b60ac0aa5f49a14cb57d_zpso0kn

e3d230f0a4c680017bf028a4f0092d43_zpsa3go

9c5dcb9193ef3605adcd622c63d54f53_zpsirgs

• Like 1

Apart from the cut out for the gearbox, I admit I prefer the look of the re-re with the new tires [ :ph34r:]

I will admit that the new look is growing on me, but I am pretty sure that I will always prefer that of the original.

Can you get an undertray for the? I'm sure I had one on an old Optima Pro...

The Turbo Optima had an aluminum skidplate that covered the somewhat breakage-prone lower chain guide, and also came with the motor guard shown on the re-re. Odd that they would include the motor guard, but not the skidplate. Maybe they're saving it for a Turbo, or a return of "Option House."

• Like 1

I hated Kyosho as a kid since they were the most direct competitor to Tamiya in my young eyes but nowadays, I must say, I'm impressed. As dearly as I love Tamiya, many of their efforts seem like plastic-fantastic compared to the Kyosho stuff. The Scorpion re-re was awesome and the Optima looks even better. I'm already worrying about how to paint the body. I hate intricate lexan painting but also love boxart. The Optima's paintjob looks like a pain.

• Like 1

In the immortal words of Jeremy Clarkson, "I think I might be having a little crisis". :)

• Like 1

I see this becoming the Kyosho equivalent to the Rough Rider re release. I would recommend picking up two if possible. One for yourself and one to set aside to build value. Once they discontinue them I wouldn't be surprised if we see them fetching a mighty high price online.

I see this becoming the Kyosho equivalent to the Rough Rider re release. I would recommend picking up two if possible. One for yourself and one to set aside to build value. Once they discontinue them I wouldn't be surprised if we see them fetching a mighty high price online.

Tried that with other kits, but I just end up having two as I suck at building up motivation to sell anything.

• Like 3

Now i gonna let you know of my little knowledge of kyosho. Is the chassis for the optima the same as for the turbo optima mid?

Now i gonna let you know of my little knowledge of kyosho. Is the chassis for the optima the same as for the turbo optima mid?

No Bjorklo, its very different, but i reckon a Mid will come, maybe not a Turbo, more so its std guise, but then if they DO release a Turbo Scorpion, Kyosho may well look into those variants as well i feel, which will be very cool!

Lee

Thought this could be my next project until I went on Tamico and saw the price!

Prices are high (I don't think they expect to sell a lot of them, and you get a nice metal chassis with real metal body oil-filled shocks), but at least in picture they look beautiful. It's a whole different world from a 80's plastic tamiya re-re. It begs to be displayed without shell (I wouldn't have the heart to run outside such a beauty). The Optima even lets you choose between belt and chain transmission.

Also the original front shocks are layed down lower in the photos on page 9 the new optima has a higher front shock tower they probably did this so the suspension works better.

I agree, not much different to Modelsport's price in the UK of £299, yet I ts $299 in the US. I wonder if Stella will stock it - I emailed them a couple of days ago about it but no reply as yet

the problem I have had with sourcing from the far East including Stella is UK hobbie shops like modelsport ( who are top rate!) Are very competitive on price when you include how much it costs to ship from abroad the difference is just pound's not tens of pound's like it used to be and on the last 3 models I bought from Stella by time it is shipped over its in stock over hear and my Honda city turbo got caught at customs so end to end cost me more!, so I for one am just sticking to UK!
  • Like 1

Price very similar to the 2013 Egress. I remember the hype about the Optima much more than the Egress. I bought the Egress rere, so this will be a nobrainer for me, Kyosho come take my money........again :)