pizzachaude

Kyosho Optima re-release coming!

It's been a few days since I've said the word 'Turbo' on this thread! You know, just in case Kyosho are dropping in on this thread, I need to keep up the subliminal campaign!!

It's been a few days since I've said the word 'Turbo' on this thread! You know, just in case Kyosho are dropping in on this thread, I need to keep up the subliminal campaign!!

If #30616 is the Turbo Scorpion you will probably get your wish.

• Like 1

Nothing they re-release after this can be as spectacular.

I would be extremely tempted by an ultima and a mid.

In actual fact they have peaked quite early.

I assumed they re released models to coincide with people of a 'certain age',with now more disposable income than they did when they drooled at the originals in modelshop windows all the years ago.

I'm off to buy a 2 seater sports car and a Harley! :)

• Like 1

I would be extremely tempted by an ultima and a mid.

I assumed they re released models to coincide with people of a 'certain age',with now more disposable income than they did when they drooled at the originals in modelshop windows all the years ago.

I'm off to buy a 2 seater sports car and a Harley! :)

Let me know when you find such a combo for $299.

• Like 1

Unlike the Turbo Scorpion, I find the original Optima body more attractive than the Turbo Optima.

• Like 1

As much as I'm excited about the Optima, what I really really want is this:

tom.jpg

does look nice but I think that's when it started to go like what we see now all looking the same the big wing and a generic body style but the original and the turbo looked so iconic (bigwig and boomerang has the same appeal!) Just different! Mind you I love those pepper pot rims I did even back in the day when I first seen them I'd even go as far to say best looking rims ever IMO!!
  • Like 1

does look nice but I think that's when it started to go like what we see now all looking the same the big wing and a generic body style but the original and the turbo looked so iconic (bigwig and boomerang has the same appeal!) Just different! Mind you I love those pepper pot rims I did even back in the day when I first seen them I'd even go as far to say beast looking rims ever IMO!!

-

I would actually be really surprised if we saw any variant of the Mid. It was a brilliant design, and a decent-looking car, but it was also a no-nonsense race car, built without much consideration for aesthetics. The rear-motor Optima is pretty even without the body shell, it has sort of a skeletal look to it. A body-less Mid, by comparison, looks almost industrial. I doubt it's iconic enough on a large enough scale to warrant a re-release. If we do see one, I would bet it would be the original SWB one. (I could be wrong, of course.)

• Like 1

Sure, that's probably what Kyosho tried to convince Tamiya about too (or vice versa).

Similar front suspensions, rear suspensions, gearboxes, rear cages, tubs, driveshafts and even to some extent bodies. With key features in their designs that neither had used on any of their previous models, but due to convergent evolution, two models from two companies ended up being virtually identical, but still so to speak evolutionary dead ends (I think the Icarus and Striker/Sonic Fighter more than anything confirm that!).

Yeah, very likely! :P

Just throwing this out there , Now do we know that they didn't have a bet kyosho & Tamiya ?.

Let see who will out sell who . make the same buggy & lets see :lol: .

As there were alot of crazy stuff happening in the 80's etc . Will we ever know ?

Just thinking out side of the box ! . But it's funny how they look alike , there has to be a reason you would think ?.

• Like 2

Just throwing this out there , Now do we know that they didn't have a bet kyosho & Tamiya ?.

Let see who will out sell who . make the same buggy & lets see :lol: .

As there were alot of crazy stuff happening in the 80's etc . Will we ever know ?

Just thinking out side of the box ! . But it's funny how they look alike , there has to be a reason you would think ?.

Well, they share some general design aspects... but being intimately familiar with both, the Falcon would dine on Pegasus breakfast, lunch and dinner.

• Like 1

Mind you I love those pepper pot rims I did even back in the day when I first seen them I'd even go as far to say best looking rims ever IMO!!

For me it's a tie between Tamiya Egress/Vanquish wheels, original RC10 slots and Kyosho pepperpots. Love them all... much nicer than "speed discs"....

• Like 1

LOL - same could be true of the Pegasus! Kind of a tenuous branch you're tiptoeing onto, there Erik. :P

Lol there's also the Javelin, though being essentially a tarted up Optima I guess that point is moot.

Stella have emailed me today (standard email sent I'm sure to everyone who has sent a direct enquiry) asking if I want to go on the waiting list for their first batch (yes!), though no price confirmed as yet. I have asked!

Same here. I emailed them about it 10 days ago so I hope I have managed to secure one. They only got a handful of Scorpion, Beetle & Tomahawk kits so I hope they have managed to source more of the Optimas.

Since we saw further use of the Scorpion chassis, do you think we'll see a Javelin? I hope so.

• Like 1

Hi folks, I'm a long time Tamiya & Kyosho fan... Steadily building up my shelf queen collection of old school Tamiya buggies and having given up hope of adding a new vintage or re-re Turbo Optima the news of Kyosho re-reing the Optima has gotten me excited - The Turbo variant was the car I started buggy racing with back as a lad :wub:

Does anyone have anything vaguely concrete regarding a future re-release of the Turbo Optima (I'm tempted by the basic Optima re-re, but if the Turbo is in the works I'll hold off)?

• Like 1

Did someone say Turbo Optima??

If they are planning one I think it'll be in a couple of years when all those who will be buying the regular Optima are done buying them. I'm holding off for a Turbo!

Did someone say Turbo Optima??

If they are planning one I think it'll be in a couple of years when all those who will be buying the regular Optima are done buying them. I'm holding off for a Turbo!

I have seen you spreading Turbo over this thread :D I hope you are wrong about a Turbo Optima re-re being years away, but then again my Mrs would prefer that! :rolleyes:

Possibly except for the tires, the re-re Optima is more "Turbo" than the Turbo Optima ever was, so I have my doubts about a Turbo Optima re-release. Would still be nice! I'd put my money on a Javelin re-release with great confidence though!

• Like 1

I Agree. The first Optima was an iconic model, all started from this one. Re-re is a logical thing.

Hi folks, I'm a long time Tamiya & Kyosho fan... Steadily building up my shelf queen collection of old school Tamiya buggies and having given up hope of adding a new vintage or re-re Turbo Optima the news of Kyosho re-reing the Optima has gotten me excited - The Turbo variant was the car I started buggy racing with back as a lad :wub:

Does anyone have anything vaguely concrete regarding a future re-release of the Turbo Optima (I'm tempted by the basic Optima re-re, but if the Turbo is in the works I'll hold off)?

Judging by what they have done with the Scorpion, they will drip feed us with some of the optional parts that are needed to build a Turbo Optima out of the standard kit. Expect to see some of these parts at the forthcoming Shizuoka Fair in May.

A full Turbo kit release depends on whether they bring out the Turbo Scorpion kit this year...IMO. If the Turbo Scorpion arrives then I would say that a Turbo Optima will too....eventually.

As Mokei states above though, the Javelin will be next, probably within the next 12 months.

• Like 1

Judging by what they have done with the Scorpion, they will drip feed us with some of the optional parts that are needed to build a Turbo Optima out of the standard kit. Expect to see some of these parts at the forthcoming Shizuoka Fair in May.

A full Turbo kit release depends on whether they bring out the Turbo Scorpion kit this year...IMO. If the Turbo Scorpion arrives then I would say that a Turbo Optima will too....eventually.

As Mokei states above though, the Javelin will be next, probably within the next 12 months.

Thanks for the thoughts. I've decided to pre-order a basic Re-re Optima, then will try sticking a Kamtec Turbo Optima shell on it, with some pargu wheels & repro tires... hopefully I can convince myself it is a Turbo. Just need to find a solution for gold shocks now and there was me thinking I didn't need to spend any money on RC for a while :unsure:

• Like 1

I just think the Turbo Optima has much better proportions, the body shell is a thing of beauty and the wheels and gold shocks look fantastic. This example off here;

944b92bd0d78b29.jpg

:)

• Like 1

Looking really forward to this rere, but what I really want is the MID SE. Won't mind everything in between though :wub:

• Like 1

Thanks for the thoughts. I've decided to pre-order a basic Re-re Optima, then will try sticking a Kamtec Turbo Optima shell on it, with some pargu wheels & repro tires... hopefully I can convince myself it is a Turbo. Just need to find a solution for gold shocks now and there was me thinking I didn't need to spend any money on RC for a while :unsure:

I would hang fire on the wheels as I think they will be one of the first things that Kyosho bring back, as a hop-up part.

I would not be surprised to see the OT-66 tyres come back too as they seem to have quite a modern looking tread compared to that of the Scorpion, Tomahawk and standard Optima.