pizzachaude

Kyosho Optima re-release coming!

You kidding me.. I been typing optima in their search prompt and nothing has been coming up for weeks. So I emailed them and that is the response they gave me.

How long has that link been up?

Since the afternoon of Feb 15th I think. :)

Like you, I've been checking every day for the past week or so and just happened to see it just before 8pm on the 15th. After pre-ordering 2 kits I posted the link here.

• Like 1

Since the afternoon of Feb 15th I think. :)

Like you, I've been checking every day for the past week or so and just happened to see it just before 8pm on the 15th. After pre-ordering 2 kits I posted the link here.

I preordered mine today as well. Just in time too, since my tower club membership expires tomorrow.

Since moving to Nevada it's no longer beneficial to have the tower membership. Since they have a warehouse in NV, it means I have to pay sales tax. To avoid it I have to ship it to California and bring it back when I visit, or my parents visit me

• Like 1

For those asking about a pre-painted body it looks like Truong Au is now selling nicely painted Optima bodies:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Painted-body-Kyosho-Optima-Box-art-/231847862519

s-l1600.jpg

Looks pretty good but on the decals "electric" should be all white, it has "four wheel drive" in the white instead of "kyosho racing team", and I think the number 5 might be a little small. That black "four wheel drive" should be next to the black shape in the middle.
  • Like 1

Looks pretty good but on the decals "electric" should be all white, it has "four wheel drive" in the white instead of "kyosho racing team", and I think the number 5 might be a little small. That black "four wheel drive" should be next to the black shape in the middle.

Good eyes! Maybe you should email the seller to point these things out. I think it's worth letting him know...

OptimaHouse_OptimaBoxArt03.jpg

• Like 1

I am SO pumped for the new Optima to come out. Like many on here, I've been digesting all the information I can when it comes out, checking Tower twice a day etc. (ha) I got my original Optima for Christmas, 1985. The box art and the way everything was laid out was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Such a cool car! Huge kudos to Kyosho for doing this for us! (side note: I bought the re-release RC10 a few years ago, it's still in the box, never opened) Maybe I'll get my 4 year old daughter to help me with one of these builds soon. :)

If you're bored, here's me getting my Optima Christmas morning, 1985. (skip to 28:00)

• Like 3

I am SO pumped for the new Optima to come out. Like many on here, I've been digesting all the information I can when it comes out, checking Tower twice a day etc. (ha) I got my original Optima for Christmas, 1985. The box art and the way everything was laid out was the most beautiful thing I'd ever seen. Such a cool car! Huge kudos to Kyosho for doing this for us! (side note: I bought the re-release RC10 a few years ago, it's still in the box, never opened) Maybe I'll get my 4 year old daughter to help me with one of these builds soon. :)

If you're bored, here's me getting my Optima Christmas morning, 1985. (skip to 28:00)

GREAT video LOL! Nice poodle. Oh, and Optima. :lol: Passing on the tradition from my father to me to my son is a big part of what got me back into this as well. Thanks for sharing dude.

What a great Christmas present.

Back to 1985, all I could do was window shopping. ( I was about 10 and couldn't afford it at all)

• Like 1

Thanks guys, video it's kinda cheesy but I'm guessing there's not much video out there in the 80's of us playing with these things. I agree also, passing it down to our kids is the greatest joy.

• Like 1

Great video and story! Those were some great gifts back in the day. The Wild Willy is a classic, you should find a nice original! Btw, I ride Cannondales too. Current road bike is 2015 Synapse Black inc with Xentis wheels. f you ever want a new frame set I have a 2014 Supersix Evo hi-mod that I hardly used before I found the Synapse. I'll never use it so selling it.

Great video and story! Those were some great gifts back in the day. The Wild Willy is a classic, you should find a nice original! Btw, I ride Cannondales too. Current road bike is 2015 Synapse Black inc with Xentis wheels. f you ever want a new frame set I have a 2014 Supersix Evo hi-mod that I hardly used before I found the Synapse. I'll never use it so selling it.

Thanks! I'd love to have an original Wild Willy, ironically the local hobby shop has one on display but the owner won't sell it. It's in pristine condition too! I have the Wild Willy 2 but love the original for all the metal parts, universal drive shaft etc. My WW2 seems a bit fragile too, some light jumps cracked the wheels and hubs so it's been on the shelf for several years now.

Very cool you are a road cyclist also. I just got back into it last year, my weight has been a big issue with me and last summer I logged around 400 miles. (love Strava!) Did a few B group rides, was a lot of fun. What size is your Supersix? Just curious.

Do you guys hand paint the lettering on the tires? I'm guessing that's really the only way to do it. I remember doing this when I was 11 years old on my original Optima and it turned out to be a fairly sloppy job. Hopefully my technique has improved over the years though.

Do you guys hand paint the lettering on the tires? I'm guessing that's really the only way to do it. I remember doing this when I was 11 years old on my original Optima and it turned out to be a fairly sloppy job. Hopefully my technique has improved over the years though.

hand painted.

IMAG1388.jpg

By the way, except for the new spike tires, I'm not used to the new driver figure either.

Anyone feels the same?

@Painting tire letters: I hope I don't get kicked out for posting a link to 'that other' Tamiya forum :rolleyes: , but this is a useful guide: http://tamiyabase.com/blog/how-to/150-paint-tyre-letters.html

But as Tamiya PC-1 in pots does not appear available anymore, what paint do folks use on their tires (a friend recommended Pilot's 'Super Color Marker' with the fine tip, but I haven't tried that yet)?

@Painting tire letters: I hope I don't get kicked out for posting a link to 'that other' Tamiya forum :rolleyes: , but this is a useful guide: http://tamiyabase.com/blog/how-to/150-paint-tyre-letters.html

But as Tamiya PC-1 in pots does not appear available anymore, what paint do folks use on their tires (a friend recommended Pilot's 'Super Color Marker' with the fine tip, but I haven't tried that yet)?

I've got the pot I used on my thundershot shell in 1988, it's still good ;)

• Like 1

For those asking about a pre-painted body it looks like Truong Au is now selling nicely painted Optima bodies:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Painted-body-Kyosho-Optima-Box-art-/231847862519

s-l1600.jpg

Good eyes! Maybe you should email the seller to point these things out. I think it's worth letting him know...

FYI @mugenbulldog I notified the guy who does these bodies about your observations and he said he's going to incorporate them going forward... (or try to). :D

Repro tire posts removed

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10738

18. Due to recent legal issues, no reproduction parts are to be advertised, or advertised for, on any part of Tamiyaclub. Adverts for reproductions of (but not limited to) decals, bodyshells, driver figures, tyres are all banned. This is for products from all manufacturers, not just Tamiya
Links to sites distributing repro goods will also be removed and any 'homemade' products bearing Tamiya branding or art will also be deleted.

Repro tire posts removed

http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10738

18. Due to recent legal issues, no reproduction parts are to be advertised, or advertised for, on any part of Tamiyaclub. Adverts for reproductions of (but not limited to) decals, bodyshells, driver figures, tyres are all banned. This is for products from all manufacturers, not just Tamiya

Links to sites distributing repro goods will also be removed and any 'homemade' products bearing Tamiya branding or art will also be deleted.

Hey Twinset, I get that rules is rules and that vendors must not promote their repro stuff here. Question though: Ref. "Links to sites distributing repro goods will also be removed": If someone finds a company making a good part for a vintage RC that you can no longer buy original (because say Tamiya, Kyosho etc. don't make them any more), how do we share with the community (or is this forum not the place)?

How do we share with the community (or is this forum not the place)?

On TC, you don't. The issue nearly closed the club down and the site owner agreed to ban discussion of repro parts in order to keep the site open.

That doesn't just apply to vendors, it applies to anyone.

If you have info to share, do it via PM or on another forum please.

If you need to discuss it further, you can always PM me.

On TC, you don't. The issue nearly closed the club down and the site owner agreed to ban discussion of repro parts in order to keep the site open.

That doesn't just apply to vendors, it applies to anyone.

If you have info to share, do it via PM or on another forum please.

If you need to discuss it further, you can always PM me.

Understood, will try to remember this in the future :mellow:

(Whoops, didn't realize this was a problem with Kyosho as well. Sorry. More proof that copyright lawyers are the least fun people on the planet.)

Anyway, back on topic: I remember that with the Scorpion, they sold a re-re gearbox kit specifically designed to upgrade original cars to the new spec. Do you suppose they'll do something similar with this one?

Doesn't necessarily mean Kyosho kicked up a stink about reproductions, more than likely a blanket rule so TamiyaClub doesn't get into more trouble for letting fraudulent behaviour slide.

Copyright fraud is very serious, and I would rather have this website than some poor quality pixelated decals (no experience with repro tyres).

Lets be thankful Tamiya let us keep the vintage manuals here...

• Like 1

Although this is not a discussion that belongs to this thread but I'm with Berman here: We all should be thankfull for this website that gives us tons of information and possibility to share and trade our rc related stuff.
TWINSET gave me a warning lately about the same manner when i postet a link about repro decals. Like markbt73, i was not aware about this rule and was a little upset. But i know now that this is only part of the game and i understand that companies are losing a lot of money due to reproductions and copied items. On the other hand, i have difficulties to understand the standpoint from Tamiya: that they are accepting vintage manuals and postings of restored models (which kills sales on new models). But they want to have banned any info about reproduction parts of vintage stuff that is out of production since many years. ( which helps to keep up growing Tamiya fan community and rises sales for other models like rereleases).
But again,these are the rules that we all have to obey, and i don't want this webside ever going down.

• Like 2

Back to topics:

I just got a newsletter from tower for preordering the Optima (had many orders from them already). But they don't ship outside US. Ouch :blink: ! I'm so in love with automatic generated mailings :D

Although this is not a discussion that belongs to this thread but I'm with Berman here: We all should be thankfull for this website that gives us tons of information and possibility to share and trade our rc related stuff.

TWINSET gave me a warning lately about the same manner when i postet a link about repro decals. Like markbt73, i was not aware about this rule and was a little upset. But i know now that this is only part of the game and i understand that companies are losing a lot of money due to reproductions and copied items. On the other hand, i have difficulties to understand the standpoint from Tamiya: that they are accepting vintage manuals and postings of restored models (which kills sales on new models). But they want to have banned any info about reproduction parts of vintage stuff that is out of production since many years. ( which helps to keep up growing Tamiya fan community and rises sales for other models like rereleases).

But again,these are the rules that we all have to obey, and i don't want this webside ever going down.

LOL for me I think it's about an 80:20 potty-humor-to-repro-mention-slip-up warnings ratio. :lol:

• Like 1