pizzachaude

Kyosho Optima re-release coming!

A few years ago, I remembered that my Optima MK1 was fast enough to run after a PB Mustang on a concrete.

Both cars are equipped with silver can motors.

My machine: belt drive, gear ratio:7.7(16T)

PB Mustang (2 speed transmission)

In my opinion, Optima is light and fast.

The durability is the biggest weak point.

I have seen so many bent shock towers and broken bumper supports.

It's good to see Kyosho has addressed some problems.

• Like 1

I had a turbo mid and it was indestructible. I drove it incredibly hard but never raced it. It was a steet and park machine for me.

I have incredible respect for the design and quality of it and would recommend it to anyone. In Australia this Optima will cost a fortune but still will be worth it to me. Anything compared to the Bruiser seems cheap to me ;)

I had a similar experience with my Turbo Mid. It was driven hard and never complained once, and was so much tougher than the Hotshot and Bigwig that I had owned before that. I then sold it to a friend in 1989 who owned it for the next 15 years and absolutely abused the life out of it before I bought it back off him. It looked completely wrecked but, in actual fact, a strip down showed that the only issue was with a bent lower chassis at the neck....and a pair of pliers soon sorted that out. If Kyosho re-release the Mid I imagine they will improve the stiffness of the chassis.

I can't speak for the durability of the original Optima, but my next door neighbour had one and I don't remember him having any trouble with it. He did win a lot of races with it though. :)

• Like 2

Built one out of a box of scraps a while back so I'm good ;)

optimatop.jpg

I wanted one of those BADLY when I was a teenager; every time the Tower Hobbies catalogs showed up in the mailbox I'd add up what it would cost me to build a "street rocket" version... and every time I realized I couldn't deliver enough newspapers to afford it the way I wanted it.

If Kyosho re-re's the T.O.M.SE, I might just be forced to hide the purchase from the wife somehow.

• Like 1

There are an awful lot of rare Javelin cages showing up on ebay.

• Like 2

There are an awful lot of rare Javelin cages showing up on ebay.

I think it's a panick dump of the sellers as they worth some money & they want to cash in ?

Just re-upped my Tower Hobbies Super Saver membership... ;)

There are two kits on my hit list. They don't get cheaper for me than shipped free from Tower minus Super Saver coupons. For some reason, slowly unfurling my plan of acquiring these kits - as opposed to just impulse buying them - makes me feel strangely super-villainous...

a315f8b517b66a7cabb501106b81bc07.gif

• Like 7

Thanks to a little on-the-ground support from Paul / chickenman242tk I just managed to score a vintage original Optima body for my resto! Cost me ~US$45! :D

25397843051_35f31bf835_b.jpg

The guy I got it from has some other deals as well - if anyone wants to grab a NIP Turbo Optima body for ~US$30 go here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Kyosho-OT-70-OPTIMA-Clear-Body-100-Original-Not-Copy-/262317708161

No OT-30 tires, unfortunately! But he does have at least one set of PG-22 rear Pegasus tires if anyone needs.

• Like 3

RC World Magazine 4 (= April)

I'm going to get this magazine next month. ^_^

RCworld201604.jpg

That's weird on that magazine cover they've got the original, different-than-box-art style "5" decals. Is it the new re-re or an old one, or did they use an old or repro shell on the new optima? Tires look like the new ones.

That's weird on that magazine cover they've got the original, different-than-box-art style "5" decals. Is it the new re-re or an old one, or did they use an old or repro shell on the new optima? Tires look like the new ones.

Judge from screws, shocks and tires, it is definitely a re-re.

By the way, according to the cover, Masami Hirosaka is going to talk about Optima

Yeah I didn't look at the screws, good catch. The other stickers are original optima as well - they changed some of them, at least on the kyosho images. Fram, western, etc. Hopefully I don't have to make my own stickers again in order to have a box art optima :)

A scene of a TV program.

%2525E6%25259C%2525AA%2525E5%252591%2525

This TV program has an interview with the manufacturer. (they focus on the manufacturer, not re-re Optima)

optima.jpg

• Like 3

So all that needs to be done is paint the body white? Marvellous!

• Like 1

Relatively open question for the brains trust on here, but what would be an optimal (I know it's a big question!) esc / motor setup for this baby?

I ask now as have taken a quick trip over to the USA and think I should purchase a couple of esc's and motors for this and one other car. I like the idea of a brushless but not sure that the drive trains will be suited for that it also more importantly the driving characteristics will be vastly different from what was intended.

Anyhow, thoughts welcomes to help me save on shipping!

Relatively open question for the brains trust on here, but what would be an optimal (I know it's a big question!) esc / motor setup for this baby?

I ask now as have taken a quick trip over to the USA and think I should purchase a couple of esc's and motors for this and one other car. I like the idea of a brushless but not sure that the drive trains will be suited for that it also more importantly the driving characteristics will be vastly different from what was intended.

Anyhow, thoughts welcomes to help me save on shipping!

I'm personally doing a 17.5 brushless set up. If you want more speed, you can do a 13.5. I generally don't do anything faster on off-road cars

• Like 1

Wow those decals are pretty sweet. I think they did something similar on the mini-z optima although the back yellow section was painted.

1/24 Optima Mini-Z with pre-cut decals. It looks great from a distance.

however, there are flaws if I take a closer look.

2016-03-08%25252011.36.21.jpg

My first attempt to do the box-art.

2016-03-08%25252011.41.58.jpg

The designer, Akira Kogawa.

Thank you for bringing us such a beautiful RC car.

desk%252520top.jpg

• Like 2

These things might hit the HK stores at the weekend since RC Mart have an expected release date as mid-March. I would love to get an email from Stella on Sat/Sun inviting me to purchase. :)

One of my local hobby shops says it will be available on 11th, March.

I haven't placed my order yet because I'm also waiting for the optional parts too.

Up until now, there has no information about them. <_<

Place my order immediately or keep waiting? can't make up my mind.

update: placed my order just now and hope it arrives asap.

Hi there lin6499 !

May I / we have your local hobby shop's website, please?

Thanks!

I'm not sure if they will take orders from foreign countries.

Check my PM.