pizzachaude

Kyosho Optima re-release coming!

One thing that worries me about running it at this point is that Kyosho doesn’t seem to have any replacement parts listed. I’m afraid I’m going to break something and have it sit on the shelf forever =(

http://banzaihobby.com/rc/rc-car-parts-body-accessories/kyosho-spare-hop-up-parts/optima?page=Optima&zenid=5af2520b79d2da93091dad7b41fe1ffa

One thing that worries me about running it at this point is that Kyosho doesn’t seem to have any replacement parts listed. I’m afraid I’m going to break something and have it sit on the shelf forever =(

I nabbed a few bits from Banzai, but a couple of things I was after were already out of stock with them and their supplier so they would not backorder. So maybe get in there quick. One of the things I could not get from them is wheels, did get some arms and a body though.

JR-RC did have some bits, but he has dicked me around of late and I would not trust him as far as I could throw him. If he gets your order right you are safe, if he ***** it up or it gets lost in the mail you may as well write it off. He never responds to emails, from you or Paypal in my experience.

I am waiting for A-Main to get things in. No joy so far. Will probably grab quite a bit when they do.

C..

JR-RC on Ebay has had parts , the only one so far . So get running :P

Banzai too

My optima came today but I missed it! Ohhhhhhhh!!!!! Got to pick it up from my local safe pick up point!......TOMORROW AFTER 12!!!! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

• Like 3

Banzai too

Yer if you have the time to use there web site :P ..

• Like 1

Do you think Kyosho will eventually stock replacement parts for it?

Kyosho America will have all of the spare parts in stock pretty soon. The only trouble is that they don't ship outside of the USA. :(

I'm waiting to get the new LeMans 490 motor. The vintage ones are fetching pretty high price on eBay. Anyone know back in the day which of the LeMans is best suited for these Kyosho buggies?

The Leman's 360PT was a great motor..I think it's a 19T double. Ball bearings, rebuildable and very fast back in the day. I believe it was used in the Turbo Optima but my dad used it in his Optima and it ran great!

• Like 1

The Leman's 360PT was a great motor..I think it's a 19T double. Ball bearings, rebuildable and very fast back in the day. I believe it was used in the Turbo Optima but my dad used it in his Optima and it ran great!

FYI Turbo Optima came with the Le Mans 240S motor. This is a good chart if you are looking at vintage motors - but beware that some have bushes (although you can replace these with bearings if you are careful) and some are not rebuildable (without bending the meta tabs to open them):

img18_20062008054211_1.jpg

• Like 2

On 22/04/2016 at 8:43 PM, steelo said:

I've just bought a le-mans 360PT (bit over the top price wise but I'm very happy) boxed and unused, box does show age related marks but will be perfect for my new optima!, the question is do I build it with the chain drive or belt drive as this is my first ever kyosho's?

• Like 1

You should really enjoy that motor, plenty of torque and top end speed. It should be perfect for you. I'm using a 3500kv 13.5t brushless, which I believe is roughly the equivalent to a good 19t brushed motor.

I chose the belt option in mine because I didn't want to hassle with constant chain adjustments. I think it would be more reliable.

• Like 2

I finished building mine as well save the body. One of my rear shocks leakes like a sieve... Argh!  I took my time putting the clear seal on too! 

2 hours ago, Raman36 said:

I finished building mine as well save the body. One of my rear shocks leakes like a sieve... Argh!  I took my time putting the clear seal on too! 

can you tell me what part number is the clear seal?

Are the shocks basically the same as the Scorpion? One of my rears leaked badly, and it appeared to be coming from the inner seal where the shaft comes out of the cartridge, rather than past the clear gasket, anyone else experience this

On 22/04/2016 at 10:27 PM, Wandy said:

I bet they add a significant cost to the buying process, and that's before adding on the customs duty.

I have used them a couple of times and tbh not that much - Once landed, reasonably close to UK model shop prices (better if you are importing a lot/higher value as otherwise the overheads make up a large part of the cost). I have used them a couple of times to get Kyosho things from the US that I couldn't source in a timely manner from the UK or from RCMart-Stella-JR-RC et al.

Interesting….my rear shock leaked pretty badly too. I soon realized though that I put one of the black seals on backwards.

The kit comes with (I think 2) extra clear seals so I just went ahead and replaced that too. 

Seems to be dry underneath...for now.

Ran it in the dirt yesterday afternoon. What a blast this car is to drive through sand/dirt! It is a sheer joy to watch it kick up dust and ‘drift’ through the turns.

I made a bonehead mistake though and forgot to put on the rubber spacer on the outside of the spur gear. As a result, the spur gear was rubbing on the inside of the gearbox cover and created a nice indentation on the cover. It also squared off the teeth a bit, but it still seems to be usable.