pizzachaude

Kyosho Optima re-release coming!

I was about to have a brain aneurysm installing those e-clips on the shocks… 

I suggest you guys to apply thread lock on OT232.

Luckily, I had found them before I left the track I ran.

13055654_1244877878885612_8749468036290934214_o.jpg

I suggest you guys to apply thread lock on OT232.

Luckily, I had found them before I left the track I ran.

Yup, thread lock is a must when you have metal on metal. (Even though the manual only says to use thread lock on maybe 3-4 screws)

After my first run, half of the screws were halfway out. I’ve already lost one. It’s amazing how easily they seem to come loose, even after you torque them down!

• Like 1

I’m trying to figure out a good pinion size to use. The stock (25T?) pinion provides great torque, but the car seems to lack top end speed. I’m using a 13.5T motor with a lipo.  I think the FDR is something like 9:1, which should mean I have a little room to go up 1-2 teeth.

Has anybody tried a 26-27T yet?

1 hour ago, steelo said:

I’m trying to figure out a good pinion size to use. The stock (25T?) pinion provides great torque, but the car seems to lack top end speed. I’m using a 13.5T motor with a lipo.  I think the FDR is something like 9:1, which should mean I have a little room to go up 1-2 teeth.

Has anybody tried a 26-27T yet?

Go up a few teeth, run, monitor temps, repeat. Keep doing this till you are happy. It's not really rocket science. ;)

Yeah, I know it doesn’t take a genius but just trying to get an idea of what would be a good balance of torque/top end speed for this car =)

3 hours ago, steelo said:

Interesting….my rear shock leaked pretty badly too. I soon realized though that I put one of the black seals on backwards.

The kit comes with (I think 2) extra clear seals so I just went ahead and replaced that too. 

Seems to be dry underneath...for now.

I replaced the seal on the shock, it still leaks. It's coming from the clear seal, I watched it as I compressed it

I replaced the seal on the shock, it still leaks. It's coming from the clear seal, I watched it as I compressed it

Ugh...that seal is a pain. If you have an extra, I would try putting oil on the shock threads and putting a new one on. Make sure the seal is still flat and not rolled up once you get it on. Ensure all the other seals/parts are on correctly.

Those seals (and e-clips) are the worst part of the assembly!

The e-clips were very slippery, they kept getting away when I was trying to snap them in place.

i replaced the clear seal with one of the spares. That's when I noticed the issue remains.

These shocks are an improvement over the Scorpion version but the fact that they continued with the clear seal is mind boggling. A simple black o-ring would have been wiser.

I doubt there will be an HG version since the standard RB series dampers will fit. They are sold in separate Kors for front and rear. They're goldish in colour and come with a blue threads collar. Still prefer anodised red but I may take that option.  

I also have have a spare set of rear TRF buggy dampers, I may throw those on for running purposes 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm willing to bet you could throw on a comparable o-ring instead of using the clear seal.

You are right. I have a little container with spare o-rings. I was not able to find it yesterday. I have to search in garage.. I recently moved and everything is hiding from me 

battery holder in order to prevent battery from moving.

13103435_1246507058722694_6395517178296868056_n.jpg

13087025_1246595748713825_24774589246848

• Like 2

23 hours ago, steelo said:

Looks nice, did you not want to use the straps?

I don't think straps are reliable.:unsure:

Just had a call from the local brick and mortar telling me they've got two Optimas waiting for me. Congratuwelldone to me. 

• Like 1

I am starting to dislike you lot. The more photos I see of these the more I think I need to build one.....

On 22/04/2016 at 11:35 PM, Raman36 said:

The box is small, like the Scorpion box

Yep, that was a real surprise to me too. They really packed all of the stuff in tight with this one. The box is actually less tall than the Scorpion box, and only slightly larger in length and width. Compared to the box of the Beetle it is miniscule.

optima%20001_zpsfkltwjia.jpg

optima%20003_zpssb33nqk9.jpg

optima%20005_zps1la0udpp.jpg

• Like 2

Started my optima build last night first time I've ever built a kyosho (never owned one for that matter!),  I did hear from many sources over the many years that the quality in the build manual is not like tamiya's!, It's early days I've only built up to end of bag 2 but it all seems good to me:) if I had to give one tiny little criticism it's that the parts don't exactly jump out at you when your looking for them (not literally! metaphorically speaking:rolleyes:) but I suppose that's part of the fun!!

• Like 2

Very true, what took me the longest was matching the screws and making sure I used the correct ones. The manual is pretty good, just a lot of details that are easily missed.