pizzachaude

Kyosho Optima re-release coming!

I trust someone will do a build thread of the Optima soon (I'm looking in your general direction, moffman.)

Does anyone have a guess as to production numbers on the Optima? I see Wandy has 088437 and mine are 092475 & 092476, but those numbers seem a tad high to be actual production numbers. 

I think I may have found the Achilles heel in the kyosho optima:mellow:? After being impressed with the build and then taking it out on the grass fields (with a bit tarmac!) Doing a bit fine tuning mostly the motor timing and a bit steering alteration and again being very impressed with now smooth the whole thing is( I've gone for the belt drive) considering it has an original le-mans 360PT in it which is 30+ years old (unused though) I thought "I wonder if you can get universal drives as appose to dog bones il have a look when I get back home?" So I did and OMG how expensive are the parts for the optima:o?. ( eg: driver figure £14, front shock case £25.55, chain £32.15, non decorated body £40, and the universal joints £47 and it goes on :o:o) me think's I'm going to be a little bit more careful with this buggy and I'll give the uj's a miss!.

That’s why I’m afraid to run it =( It does look like Kyoshoamerica is finally listing replacement parts, although most say ‘not available’ I’ve already broken one of the plastic steering parts (steering tie) that developed a hairline fracture after a small crash, but was able to superglue it back together.

I really hope finding replacement parts isn’t going to be a problem for this car. It would be great if some of the 3rd party vendors (like 3Racing) develop aluminum ‘hop up’ parts, especially for the steering.

6 hours ago, madmickmalone said:

hi, 

i would like to order a few parts ,has anyone tried/used jasons store JR-RC?

Great to order from , I have never had problem . But some have .  So give him a go .

• Like 1

Got it last night, should be able to start the diffs tonight. Tomorrow night I should be able to plow through most of the chassis. My biggest conundrum is what color to paint it. Kind of thinking of going a purple with the blue (and possibly yellow decals). I like the box art livery but I know almost everyone around my neck of the woods will replicate it. Luckily the local shop has the bodies already in stock so if it looks bad I can get a new body. It would also match my Yeti nicely too!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got my second re-re Optima today for two purposes.

(1)spare parts for my runner. (gears, spare body, etc.,)

(2)mid motor project. (aluminum rails, suspension arms etc.,)

IMAG1637.jpg

• Like 1

Ran 4 packs through the Optima today. Should have known better my last 3s run would burn the tires practically right off being on pavement. This car absolutely cooks on 3s with the 4600kv and sidewinder 3. I'm almost positive this buggy was doing about 80kmh without even running it at its maximum settings. As for running it at the track, it did great! Loose dirt and a fairly rutted track didn't really phase it too much if you picked a good line. Jumps were usually nice and level, suspension seemed maybe a bit too soft for my liking, but with my high speed savox servo it was very controllable if you ever got out of shape. The biggest thing right now is it will once and a while traction roll but that also goes to show how rough our tracks are. I am also going to experiment with adding a touch of rear camber so it's a bit more stable on sweeping turns. With some modern tires and some strength upgrades (plastic steering link is flimsy, and the rear shock tower bends easy) a person could really hustle some people if not compete and finish respectively. image.jpg

• Like 1

So just a quick update. 

For those running rere's DO NOT SKIMP ON THREADLOCK! Almost everything on this buggy likes to back itself out after a few laps. Ordering an RC Screwz Kit this week. Also for those wanting to run modern wheels, I am currently running AKA rear wheels on all four corners (front ones throw the offset off up front), just make sure to either run a small spacer in front of the hex or trim the inner lip of the wheel as it will rub. Other than that they work great and hook up well!

image.jpg

• Like 1

So i've put a few more packs through the Optima and its holding up decent now that its mostly all threadlocked lol

I have mainly been running on a small gravel track and pavement for the most part and the AKA wheels and tires are fairing much better. They dont grip great on the hard dusty gravel track but they do not wear fast im happy. I figure if I can get a feel for this thing and drive it on the edges of its traction, when it comes to getting to a track with grip I should be able do half decent. As for the Optima itself, as the packs go by I feel that the car has a tendency to push hard under power, and have a slight bit of oversteer off power. I've tried to adapt my drift style driving to something a bit more racing oriented. This buggy needs to get the weight up front before taking corners, and once you are lined up with the exit, hammer down and watch it turn into a rocket. The second you throttle through a corner you will push wide or loop out. You can usually catch a drift from going to far even on the most extreme angles but it will almost put you into a tank slapper with how well this thing finds traction. For the most part this thing flies amazingly level, but you will find yourself a bit nose low if you arent up on your speed. Our local track that has jumps is very loose and is extremely rutted so i've found it best to let this thing sit out as it will quickly show you its limited suspension travel (it is an old school 1/10th after all). On a well prepped track, this thing would really be a blast, and if it can handle my 3s 4600 on pavement with no punch control it can handle high bite without drivetrain issues aswell.

Further reliability/durability testing shows that its a pretty stout car. I would highly advise getting a second shock tower and longer hardware to sandwich two towers together, but I myself am going to try the carbon fiber route soon. The wide front bumper has also saved my bacon a handful of times aswell so unless you are keeping it as a shelf queen or you plan to race and drive well, i'd say stick the big one on. I can see this thing clipping an arm off at speed fairly easy and that just isnt a good time. The body is also something that is a bit troublesome. If you go a bit mental with power like I did running a 4600kv brushless, EXPECT WHEELIES! Even with punch control this thing will find traction and power wheelie down straights like nobodies business. Unfortunately if you stick the nose up to high it will drag the rear of the body which is already a bit weak once you cut to clear the shock towers. Its a bit cringe worthy to see my new body already torn up but its my own fault. I really dont think I will run 3s in this thing again unless I plan to do speed runs as its just too fast. Last but not least is the steering linkage. I have fortunately been able to keep driving with a cracked plastic link that captures two ball studs to link the left and right assemblies but on every awkward landing it will pop and lose steering on the one side. So tonight im going to see what I can do to fix that. Its a bit silly that they put in such a stiff servo saver spring but made such a flimsy plastic link. Hopefully some ball studs and rpm cups will work!

13241199_10156811617350005_5220260304022

Aside from her scars, she really is a looker. Almost everywhere I bring this out, she draws peoples attention. Definitely a gorgeous little kit, and I can say I cant wait until I build another Kyosho... Although I admit an Egress would compliment her nicely!

• Like 6

I was surprised that there were no hop-ups for the Optima showcased at the Shizuoka Hobby Show. Or have I missed something?

14 hours ago, Wandy said:

I was surprised that there were no hop-ups for the Optima showcased at the Shizuoka Hobby Show. Or have I missed something?

That is worrying. I have had "OTW102 Stabilizer (Optima)" on back order with Modelsport UK since 20th April and still waiting... Cannot find it in stock anywhere - Some model shops list it, but none have it. Kyosho America does not even have it listed! :unsure:

On the plus side, it saves me getting in trouble with the wife as I cannot do my usual "must buy all hop-ups for new model" :rolleyes:

• Like 1

13245473_10156822141830005_7593858229192

Well looks like I have some competition brewing for Tuesday (weather pending). Bringing the Mud Blaster, and Optima out as we have in theory 2-3 Grasshoppers showing up, possibly my old rc10 that I sold off, and maybe a Stadium Blitzer, Frog, or a Falcon showing up to race. Planning to take them all on with the Blaster but if that RC10 proves to be a bit quicker I will whip out the Optima and shut it all down lol.

Right now I'm on the fence about pulling the trigger on the Cox RC carbon fiber kit for the Optima (new towers, top plate, and some other braces) for about $100 canadian. I am kind of interested in the sway bar kit but would love to put some proper threaded shocks on that wouldn't be such a pain in the but to rebuild (that clear o-ring thing truly is a pain to deal with) and experiment from there. I would love to order the sway bar kit too, I think it would really help reduce its on-throttle push characteristics in turns.

• Like 4

A couple of days ago, I went on a trip to Japan and dropped by at a hobby shop.

It was Pity that optional pars were not available there.:wacko:

Then I bought a few spare parts instead.

IMAG1896.jpg

• Like 3

Anyone have any contacts at Kyosho, who could find out where all the Hop-up parts for the re-re Optima have gone? Page 37 of the manual is really enticing:

OTW110 Carbon Radio Plate (OPTIMA) カーボンメカプレート (オプティマ)
OTW111 Hard Main Chassis (7075/OPTIMA) ハードメインシャシー (7075/オプティマ)
OTW114 Metal Servo Saver メタルサーボセイバー(オプティマ)
etc.

I wonder if there is a cargo container at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean full of such goodies? :blink:  Mind you, this Kyosho page does say "Available in May 2016"... They have 7 days to go! ;)

• Like 1

I sure hope they start popping up soon. I could use another gear set, another gear cover, a CF rear shock tower (thinking about the Cox RC one still), and a body (already destroyed the rear half just behind the shock tower.

So over the weekend I ran a pack through the Optima out in some sand and tarmac and finally ripped the rear half of the body off. It had gotten pretty beat up from doing massive power wheelies on 3s a few weeks back and was slowly cracking along the creases behind the rear shock tower. Since than I've decided its best to just crank up the settings in the sidewinder 3 and just run 2s. 3s in this chassis is almost too much for this car for what I do. Its not exactly a buggy that likes being bashed, and its very under-damped for the jumps I hit with it (no smooth landing ramps for the most part). It sucks to say, but I think this one is just going to have to sit on the shelf until our big track gets smoothed out. I think today will be its last big outting til I get some parts in and stop treating it so rough.

I think if anyone wants to run an Optima on anything outside of a decently prepped track; they should definitely consider different tires right off the bat as the factory ones will shred at the hint of pavement, maybe find a thicker weight of shock oil or new shocks all together, definitely stock up on the plastic steering links (or run a small turn buckle and RPM cups), run the wide bumper, and if you plan to run 3s grab a spare body or two. I really REALLY REAAAAAAALLLY want to have a nice track to run this thing on. It screams to be driven aggressively around a track and when she has a good driver, its easy to see why these were held to such a high regard. I will say though, for an old race car this thing takes a beating very well. I've had several high speed flips (it will lift the wheels at 60kmh easy on 3s) and roll overs and it hasnt complained much (aside from the bendy aluminum shock tower). It has also taken a few good hits from other cars and clipped the pipes on the edges of the track with no damage.

Dont let my ramblings make you think its a bad car, it is quite a machine. Its a very specialized tool, and when you can drop it on a track and keep up with most other brushless rc's that arent fully blown 1/8 brushless racing buggies, thats a sign of a **** good car. Its not quite as forgiving as some of the modern ones but if you are a decent and consistent with your laps, you could probably crush some ego's with this old chassis. Throw some real shocks and tires on, dial up the brake power, run the esc settings up to max power and you've got a mean little buggy!

• Like 1

This is always the down fall of kyosho . WAITING FOR PARTS !! . Hobby shop nightmare .

I have No idea why they don't get parts out ?? .  

Just picked up a set of these for my re-re Optima and was so impressed by how well made and light they are I thought I'd share: T-Work’s TB-106H Hybrid Titanium Turnbuckle Set For Kyosho Optima ("...CNC machined and thread rolled in house from US 6AL/4V grade titanium.")

Got them from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/222112369966

Manufacturer: https://www.rc-tworks.com/products/tb-095h-hybrid-titanium-turnbuckle-set-for-kyosho-tf7 they also do these: https://www.rc-tworks.com/products/tb-106-64-titanium-turnbuckle-set-for-kyosho-optima

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 3

I need those in my life! Would make the adjust ya I'm making today so much easier!

So got some racing in with the Optima again last night. Was even fairing well against an rc8e on 4s (tiiiiiiiight track means he couldn't pull away). Took on my old RC10 Graphite/Worlds car which was running 3s and a 5600kv motor (new owner can't drive a 2wd to save his life yet), a mildly hotrodded 540 Grasshopper, and a velineon powered mini 8ight.

The Optima took on all challengers and held up together great. There were a few nasty hits from the big associated which I wasn't exactly pleased with but she's all in one shape still so I can't complain too much. The aka tires are pretty much cooked now, I'm going to add some negative camber on all four corners and a bit of toe out up front. The tracks here are usually pretty rutted and traction rolls have been happening on the hair pins. I think one more run with the old girl is due after the tweaking and than its on the shelf for a while until I get some new parts. My RPM steering cups are holding up great too! Filed them down a hair and the steering is once again buttery smooth! Also filed down the front inner wheels that liked to rub the turn buckle and free'd up a bit of speed. Was able run the esc settings maxed out on 2s without any sort of heat showing up in the motor or esc.  

image.jpg

• Like 4

Does anyone know what type of tyre fit these rims for my optima? Obviously the original one I had on them have gone practically to dust on the first run out and as parts for the optima are still out at sea (or been taken hostage by somalian pirates:unsure:) I've been keeping the kit tyres\wheels for show! I'm not sure if they are standard size rims as I'm not up to speed with 1/10th buggies I was (back in the day of racing) more a 1/8 nitro buggy man:)

IMG_20160501_084059.jpg

• Like 5