pizzachaude

Kyosho Optima re-release coming!

2 hours ago, moffman said:

Does anyone know what type of tyre fit these rims for my optima? Obviously the original one I had on them have gone practically to dust on the first run out and as parts for the optima are still out at sea (or been taken hostage by somalian pirates:unsure:) I've been keeping the kit tyres\wheels for show! I'm not sure if they are standard size rims as I'm not up to speed with 1/10th buggies I was (back in the day of racing) more a 1/8 nitro buggy man:)

IMHO you are better off getting modern sized wheels and tires for day-to-day running (4WD 2.2" wheels/tires using the 12mm hex output on the Optima's drive shafts).

I use Schumacher wheels/tires for 'racing spec' and then the really cheap, but good sets from Abisma for bashing/street running: http://www.absima.com/en/products/wheel-sets-accessories/110.html (scroll down that page and you'll get to some white rims! Available from all good model shops, eBay etc.).

Hth :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 4WheelRC said:

IMHO you are better off getting modern sized wheels and tires for day-to-day running (4WD 2.2" wheels/tires using the 12mm hex output on the Optima's drive shafts).

I use Schumacher wheels/tires for 'racing spec' and then the really cheap, but good sets from Abisma for bashing/street running: http://www.absima.com/en/products/wheel-sets-accessories/110.html (scroll down that page and you'll get to some white rims! Available from all good model shops, eBay etc.).

Hth :)

Thanks mate il give them a go!

5 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

@moffman that Optima of yours is all sorts of stunning! 

Cheer's mate I must admit this is my first kyosho and I'm really taken to it (very impressed :D)

• Like 1

No wonder. That photo made me loose faith in my own judgement as I chose to build the re re Egress before the Optima. Stupid stupid stupid. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Robert5000 said:

No wonder. That photo made me loose faith in my own judgement as I chose to build the re re Egress before the Optima. Stupid stupid stupid. 

I've never built an egress but I have built the re-re avante and they are not dissimilar and I would put it on par with the optima for build quality so don't beat yourself up I would have got an egress but like I say I got the avante! Mind you I could never understand why tamiya use to say shaft driven 4WD has less friction you can see the driveshaft vibrate like mad!:huh:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, lin6499 said:

Why oh why can't we have meetings race days etc like that in the UK?, I have no idea what is going on (because my Japanese is not that good:rolleyes:!) But it looks like it's all fun and the cars look excellent!........ maybe one day?:D!

• Like 1

That Optima meet looks like it was a blast! The Japanese really put some serious time and effort into there rc's. I've never seen a poorly put together or overly abused model (I am sadly very guilty of this lol). Its a shame everyone here in Alberta are all about the new shiniest trail rig and bash mobile. Sigh....

1 hour ago, madmickmalone said:

Save your money. They do not even have threaded shock bodies.. You will be paying for gold bodied shocks and that's it. 

The only shock upgrade to consider would be the ones for the RB6 

1 hour ago, Raman36 said:

Save your money. They do not even have threaded shock bodies.. You will be paying for gold bodied shocks and that's it. 

great ,thanks very much

To anybody that shouldn't have noticed, the rere Optima is up for sale at Tamicos summersale program tomorrow.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2016 at 11:16 PM, Raman36 said:

I don't understand your complaint.  Kyosho Golds didn't have threaded shock bodies either and these are replicas of those.

2 hours ago, Champ85 said:

I don't understand your complaint.  Kyosho Golds didn't have threaded shock bodies either and these are replicas of those.

The re-re Scorpion HG shocks are threaded and super high quality

those mayb be gold but the quality and build will not be better than the kit shocks. 

Kyosho will eventually release an option shock for the optima

• Like 1

Ran the Optima yesterday at the usual spot (a nice, dirty baseball field) I must tell you, this is a GREAT performing car and reliability is rock solid. Right now, I have a 3500kv ‘Reaktor’ motor and ESC I’m running with 2s. I’m using the included pinion so top end speed is a little lacking, but it’s PLENTY fast for me. I really didn’t do any massive jumps or anything, but I ran it full throttle for about 15 minutes through the loose dirt. It’s been extremely hot and dry here and with all of the dirt I was kicking up, I think I formed dust clouds overhead.  On turns, it has a little bit of over steer (stock tires) but for the most part, the tires held pretty well… drifting in dirt is just massive fun.

The only issue I’ve had so far, (and it’s entirely my fault) is the first time I ran it,  I forgot to put the little, round rubber spacer on the outside of the spur gear. This caused the gear to make contact with the inside of the gearbox cover, chewing the spur gear and the cover up pretty good. It was still usable for a while but dirt getting inside the gearbox finished off what was remaining of the gear yesterday. I’m in the process of ordering a new gearbox cover and seal to prevent dirt from getting in and destroying more gears since part of the cover seal tore off. I’m thinking of maybe using a washer on the outside of the cover to form a tighter seal.

Just a random FYI, Tamiya Hornet tires WILL work with the Optima. It appears they are firm enough that you don’t need inserts either. I don’t know how race worthy these tires would be, but should be fine for just bashing.  I’m just waiting until my kit tires to completely wear but I tested them and they do fit pretty well.

• Like 1

@Lin64499's post: You can read that 'new parts' page in English at https://www.kyosho.com/eng/products/rc/newparts.html (all "Available in Jul 2016", previously Kyosho were saying June, hmmmm :rolleyes:).

Not sure about other countries, but the Option parts for the Optima look crazy expensive to me. I normally go all out on hop-ups to make a strong/well performing runner. But at the prices I see Modelsport UK, Wheelspin Models etc. listing these parts I think I'll pass, which means my Optima may stay on the shelf :(

• Like 1

I finally got my hands on a re-re Optima.  Whew - you guys weren't kidding about the smell!

The kit has never even been opened and the smell is... quite fragrant.

• Like 3

@4WheelRC - on the carbon parts, these are also available from Fibrelyte in the UK.  I've purchased bits from them in the past and they are always good quality.  I don't know if the re-re parts are an exact match to the dimensions of the originals on these, but they should be able to help and be a more reasonable cost than using the Kyosho parts.

The metal parts are way out of my price range though, I'll have to see what is available from other third party companies.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, beefmuffin said:

I finally got my hands on a re-re Optima.  Whew - you guys weren't kidding about the smell!

The kit has never even been opened and the smell is... quite fragrant.

I've had my re-re optima since it was released its been built and is very lightly used then put in my display cabinet and when open said cabinet you still smell that chemical wiff! It's not a bad smell by no means my hpi savage had that smell aswell! They both must use the same type of rubber compound?