pizzachaude

Kyosho Optima re-release coming!

But it does get to me that the price in the UK is so much more than the US, when shipping to either UK or US from the factory must be about the same cost?

Guessing that's our good old government taxes!

There's import duty and then VAT is 20% on top of that.

• Like 2

Why do you guys keep justifying the price based on the value of an original Optima?

Erm, because that is what we have been doing with every re-release from Tamiya over the last 10 years?

• Like 1

That's not true, surely? I can understand comparing the price to the original sale price, in which case it's probably better value than the original, but the impression I get is that people are happy with the price because the originals are worth more today? If it was a brand new kit, would you expect to pay the same?

Maybe I'm just a scrooge and have lost touch with the value of new kits! :wacko::rolleyes:

Mathematics. For my part it stems from wanting to build one, and the re release price is a lot less than what I'd have to shell out for an unbuilt Optima. So you could say it's the scrooge in me that salutes the re release.

EDIT: Maybe something got lost in translation from Brighton to Oslo, because reading it back I see that I'm probably not hitting the mark since I'm not really commenting on what the re released Optima is worth, but rather continuing to say I'm chuffed to be able to build one fresh from the box without having to print my own money.

Plus, I apologise for that insanely long sentence.

• Like 2

That's not true, surely? I can understand comparing the price to the original sale price, in which case it's probably better value than the original, but the impression I get is that people are happy with the price because the originals are worth more today? If it was a brand new kit, would you expect to pay the same?

Maybe I'm just a scrooge and have lost touch with the value of new kits! :wacko::rolleyes:

No, apart from the fact that it's fantastic to be able to buy a legendary racing buggy NIB once again after 30 years, people are happy mainly because of the quality and quantity that is being delivered in this kit compared to the Tamiya equivalent.

The price and availability compared to the original is a secondary factor, but is also an important one in the same way that people were ecstatic that a Sand Scorcher's price was "only" £300 when compared with the £2000 that would have been needed to acquire one prior to the re-release.

For over 10 years the price of re-releases has never been an issue when considering what you get for your money, so why should it be now?

And really, you have to step up to the SRBs or the Avante/Egress to approach the same level as an Optima, in terms of complexity and metal parts content, so the price is comparable for that reason as well. Now, if Kyosho were to re-release, say, the Big Brute, in all its plastic glory, I would expect it to cost no more than similar Tamiya re-releases.

• Like 1

And really, you have to step up to the SRBs or the Avante/Egress to approach the same level as an Optima, in terms of complexity and metal parts content, so the price is comparable for that reason as well. Now, if Kyosho were to re-release, say, the Big Brute, in all its plastic glory, I would expect it to cost no more than similar Tamiya re-releases.

Also, it should be factored into the mix that the original Optima really is basically Kyosho's THE BIG ONE re-release. Sure there can and will be others, but the original Optima, in my humble and admittedly heavily brain-damaged opinion, is the most iconic of Kyosho's vintage buggies. If not the most iconic Kyosho ever, period. It could cost alot more and people would still pay it. Not to mention I doubt they'll keep making loads of them. It's a chance to get your hands on something rare and special, it's not just a cold issue of function.

• Like 5

Also, it should be factored into the mix that the original Optima really is basically Kyosho's THE BIG ONE re-release. Sure there can and will be others, but the original Optima, in my humble and admittedly heavily brain-damaged opinion, is the most iconic of Kyosho's vintage buggies. If not the most iconic Kyosho ever, period. It could cost alot more and people would still pay it. Not to mention I doubt they'll keep making loads of them. It's a chance to get your hands on something rare and special, it's not just a cold issue of function.

Agree. Nothing they re-release after this can be as spectacular. In actual fact they have peaked quite early.

• Like 2

Also, it should be factored into the mix that the original Optima really is basically Kyosho's THE BIG ONE re-release. Sure there can and will be others, but the original Optima, in my humble and admittedly heavily brain-damaged opinion, is the most iconic of Kyosho's vintage buggies.

Some, not I, would argue that the Land Jump is Kyosho's most iconic buggy, and it has a pretty big following. A brushless-version of the Land Jump with similar refinements as the re-re Optima would really be something!

• Like 1

Some, not I, would argue that the Land Jump is Kyosho's most iconic buggy, and it has a pretty big following. A brushless-version of the Land Jump with similar refinements as the re-re Optima would really be something!

LOL - same could be true of the Pegasus! Kind of a tenuous branch you're tiptoeing onto, there Erik. :P

I fully agree, but though the SRB has always been and probably will always be my favourite RC-car, I also think the (re-re) SRB is crude in terms of parts finish compared to even the original Optima and even more so compared to the re-re Optima. The precision and attention to high quality machining is simply so obvious that a look at the pics is enough to conclude, and Kyosho's re-res so far indicate that the production re-re Optima in no way will be inferior to what we see in the pics.

• Like 1

LOL - same could be true of the Pegasus! Kind of a tenuous branch you're tiptoeing onto, there Erik. :P

Oh no, please don't even mention the Pegasus! :wacko: The only thing that has ever interested me about that model, is whether Tamiya copied Kyosho or vice versa. The time of the release of the Pegasus and Falcon and similarities in design are simply too close to be a coincidence, especially as neither Kyosho nor Tamiya had any model on which the design of the two models was based.

• Like 1

For over 10 years the price of re-releases has never been an issue when considering what you get for your money, so why should it be now?

Because I've not been that fussed about re-releases up until now - and I really want an Optima, but I just can't just justify £300 on it... <_<

• Like 1

Oh no, please don't even mention the Pegasus! :wacko: The only thing that has ever interested me about that model, is whether Tamiya copied Kyosho or vice versa. The time of the release of the Pegasus and Falcon and similarities in design are simply too close to be a coincidence, especially as neither Kyosho nor Tamiya had any model on which the design of the two models was based.

Classic case of convergent evolution :lol:

Have Kyosho ever released an XB type version of their cars, like Tamiya did for example when they re-re'd the Sand Scorcher? Reason for asking is that because Tamiya did the XB Scorcher, the likes of JR-RC managed to get some box art painted shells which were sold on eBay, so if Kyosho dud the same for the Optima that would be great for people like me who love building the chassis' but hate doing the bodies!

It appears Kyosho have taken heed of your plea, at least it would seem so when looking at what is listed over at the norwegian kyosho site:

EDIT: No it doesn't. It's for the mini z. Shame on me.

http://www.kyosho.no/webshop/products/product.aspx?ArtNr=01.MBB01BW

As for the US vs GB price, in Norway it's listed at 323 of your majesty's pounds.

Classic case of convergent evolution :lol:

Sure, that's probably what Kyosho tried to convince Tamiya about too (or vice versa).

Similar front suspensions, rear suspensions, gearboxes, rear cages, tubs, driveshafts and even to some extent bodies. With key features in their designs that neither had used on any of their previous models, but due to convergent evolution, two models from two companies ended up being virtually identical, but still so to speak evolutionary dead ends (I think the Icarus and Striker/Sonic Fighter more than anything confirm that!).

Yeah, very likely! :P

• Like 1

Yeah, google proved your point, beefmuffin & Wandy. It's for the Mini Z Optima. Seems the norwegian site has lumped every Optima related article together without differentiating between the re release and mini z.

• Like 2

No, apart from the fact that it's fantastic to be able to buy a legendary racing buggy NIB once again after 30 years, people are happy mainly because of the quality and quantity is that is being delivered in this kit compared to the Tamiya equivalent.

The price and availability compared to the original is a secondary factor, but is also an important one in the same way that people were ecstatic that a Sand Scorcher's price was "only" £300 when compared with the £2000 that would have been needed to acquire one prior to the re-release.

Agreed. Kyoshos pricing of their rereleases have been much fairer than that of Tamiyas. Comparing these prices in the US makes it clear:

Tower has the following

1. Sand Scorcher $295

2. Egress $469!!!!!!!

Kyosho Optima at $299 is a bargain compared to the egress.

• Like 3

Because I've not been that fussed about re-releases up until now - and I really want an Optima, but I just can't just justify £300 on it... <_<

It's not just any old re-release though. It's probably Kyosho's most iconic piece and they have gone and made it even better, so much so that it will probably compete well with the the current modern buggies. You are getting a large dose of nostalgia and performance in one very sweet package.

• Like 5

Agreed. Kyoshos pricing of their rereleases have been much fairer than that of Tamiyas. Comparing these prices in the US makes it clear:

Tower has the following

1. Sand Scorcher $295

2. Egress $469!!!!!!!

Kyosho Optima at $299 is a bargain compared to the egress.

Yep. With this kit we are getting : -

* Original box and artwork

* Original blister packs

* Original chassis components, but made stronger and more competitive....and will fit on to the original cars.

* Original body, wheels, decals. These parts now command a fortune on ebay...if you can actually even find them.

* A choice of transmission type. They are actually giving you the choice to take the nostalgia trip or the performance one, right out of the box.

$299? This is a kit that needs no selling.

• Like 1

$299? This is a kit that needs no selling.

I'll let you explain that to my wife...

• Like 7

I'll let you explain that to my wife...

Sometimes a photo can be better than any words. ;)

86f9761ef9fe5a332119326fe79e871c_zpsrbbh

• Like 1