Wheelies and fire go together in my mind. Is that wrong? B)

I recently created a flame-pipe mod for my original Wild Willy GigaM38 build
(here: http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=77628&page=4) ... and I had a blast running it until I wiped out pretty hard and trashed some vintage parts.

I first got the idea from my son's Razor scooter that has a brake with embedded flint made to throw sparks. Neat effect. So, I picked up some little flint tips like you'd use to light a propane torch. You can buy them in 5 packs and they have a threaded end.

img42077_25112015025425_1.jpg

After my M38 wipe-out, I thought it might be more cost-effective to make a Flame Pipe mod for the newer WW2 chassis. This way I can run the spark-thrower harder on concrete without worry about crashing the vintage rig.

I designed a new wheelie bar in FreeCAD to mount the tips and the prototype came in from Shapeways today. I have small tweak or two I'd like to make, but I'm pretty happy with the prototype:

img42077_04022016013051_1.jpg
Next to the stock wheelie bar for comparison.
The prototype is printed in "polished metallic plastic" and will get painted black.

img42077_04022016013051_2.jpg
Screw mounts through the opposite side and catches the spark tips.

img42077_04022016013051_3.jpg
Different angle...

img42077_04022016013051_4.jpg
Back mounting-flange detail.

I installed the tips with a small 2.5MM X 22 screw. The new wheelie bar mounted up to the back of the rig just right.

img42077_04022016013051_5.jpg
Let's go make some sparks!

img42077_04022016013051_6.jpg

Light show time!

As always, my video work could use some help. I shot the maiden run with my iPhone in the dark. Please enjoy the pyrotechnics...

Go Willy, Go!
  • Like 7

It appears that you have come up with a hop up that is 100% pure awesome.

My mind is already working out how to lay down a river of lighter fuel linked to some huge rockets.

Congratulations on being an evil genius.

• Like 5

It appears that you have come up with a hop up that is 100% pure awesome.

My mind is already working out how to lay down a river of lighter fuel linked to some huge rockets.

Congratulations on being an evil genius.

Oh man... I've been trying to figure out how to make one of my RC cars do the 88mph Back to The Future burning tire tracks. You've given me a beautiful idea on how to possibly blow myself up :D

img42077_06012016012555_3.jpg

So, I had an idea last night to make a system like this for a regular RC road car, but actuated on a servo so you could shove the sparkers down to the pavement under the car on demand - make it look like it bottomed out and threw sparks.

So many ideas, so little time.

sToOpid day job.

:lol: I couldn't work out what was going to happen based on the thread title, but it makes perfect sense now!

• Like 1

That looks like a nice beefy mount. Several years ago shoved some flints from a zippo lighter into the slightly smaller holes I drilled near the rear of my RS4 chassis. That way when the chassis bottomed out it would send out a shower of sparks. It worked well but eventually the flints would get knocked out

• Like 1