beefmuffin

Lunchbox Body... Too Yellow / Bright

OK so I realize this would be easier to explain if I had some pics to post, but I'm at work and don't at the moment. But I think some of you might get what I mean, have experience with this particular issue, etc.

My Lunchbox is too yellow, or too light yellow, for my taste. I sprayed it with the called-for TS-16 but the hue of it just isn't the rich orange-tinged color that looks right to me. Why?? Is there some undercoat that needs to go down first to get the right color temperature?

I'm thinking of peeling the decals, repriming and spraying it... but not if it means the same result.

Anyone have any idea what I'm talking about, LOL? :lol:

I know what you mean.

I opted to use TS-47 Chrome Yellow, I didn't apply a primer coat, and did around 4 coats, came out as a nice mid shade of yellow, I failed to paint the wheels how ever so they look a tad off, but I run the LB, it's not a shelfer, oh and I should add it's a re-release LB

• Like 1

Did you prime before painting and if so, what color? Using a brown primer would help to get closer to what I think you want in the color.

• Like 1

I used a Fiat 'Broom Yellow' car spray from Halfords with a grey primer and several coats of lacquer and mine looks a lush rich colour. As mentioned already and from previous experience, the colour of the primer coat makes a massive difference.

• Like 1

I went with the TS-16 when i did my son's lunchbox (2 years ago) - if i did use any primer it would have been Tamiya's fine primer. the result is a very rich yellow, almost a redness in its depth of hue. I'd say it was a very good match to the wheels.

I wonder whether i may have used a older formulation of paint - i remember Tamiya having to relabel lots of spray cans for legislation changes, perhaps they've also had to reformulate some colours for lead / chromium reasons ?

• Like 1

Aha! I found an old pic that has the overly yellow Lunchbox clearly visible...

24177282884_120651203e_o.jpg

When my tamiya collection grows up it wants to be just like this one. :D

• Like 2

Did you prime before painting and if so, what color? Using a brown primer would help to get closer to what I think you want in the color.

I used a Fiat 'Broom Yellow' car spray from Halfords with a grey primer and several coats of lacquer and mine looks a lush rich colour. As mentioned already and from previous experience, the colour of the primer coat makes a massive difference.

I went with the TS-16 when i did my son's lunchbox (2 years ago) - if i did use any primer it would have been Tamiya's fine primer. the result is a very rich yellow, almost a redness in its depth of hue. I'd say it was a very good match to the wheels.

I wonder whether i may have used a older formulation of paint - i remember Tamiya having to relabel lots of spray cans for legislation changes, perhaps they've also had to reformulate some colours for lead / chromium reasons ?

Hmm... so it seems like the consensus may be that I need to be more deliberate in the color primer I use. So I think my plan will be to pick up some dark grey or brown primer and try the TS-16 again and see how it goes. If the result is the same, then the universe must be trying to teach me a lesson about the unattainability of perfection LOL.

Thanks guys! I'll be sure to post pics of the process and result once I get around to it.

When my tamiya collection grows up it wants to be just like this one. :D

OMG mine is still a pimply teenager compared to many around here! Although this pic is 2-3 years old and there's been alot of reshuffling and many projects currently mid-completion so I'll make up an updated showroom entry of my garage pretty soon. =)

Just getting back to this thread now... I finally finished a new Lunchbox with a yellow color like I wanted.  I used TS-34 Camel Yellow - so much better than the standard yellow.

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2957.JPG

• Like 4

Bizarre that this thread should come up now - at the weekend I was at a local big rig meet, and there were two yellow Globe Liners (alongside my Ford Diamond White version).  However they were two different shades of yellow.

One of the owners told me that his was an original vintage model, painted a long time ago using Tamiya's ozone-destroying brain-numbing yellow paint.  The other one was a later model and was painted recently using Tamiya's re-labelled EU-friendly safe-for-polar-bears yellow paint.  He was certain that the difference in colour was purely down to Tamiya's re-formulation of the paint.

Now I did point out that there's no way he could be sure what paint was used on a decades-old model, or what primer was used, how many coats it was given or that it hadn't faded in the years since, but he was still convinced that the difference was in the paint formulation.  And he may well have a point.

FWIW I have painted 3 different lexan shells with Tamiya's PS-6 Yellow over the last 15 years and each one has come out thin, weedie and washed out.  Even after a backing of silver they look sickly and unpleasant.  I love Tamiya paints but I won't use PS-6 again.

36 minutes ago, Mad Ax said:

Tamiya's PS-6 Yellow over the last 15 years and each one has come out thin, weedie and washed out.  Even after a backing of silver they look sickly and unpleasant.  I love Tamiya paints but I won't use PS-6 again.

I agree. Ive done yellow stripes on a couple of bodies and the look very faded even though backed with Gunmetal and Black

For lunchbox I used Fiat Broom yellow from halfords. Looks very box art to my eyes.

15 hours ago, beefmuffin said:

Just getting back to this thread now... I finally finished a new Lunchbox with a yellow color like I wanted.  I used TS-34 Camel Yellow - so much better than the standard yellow.

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2957.JPG

Nice. I used camel yellow on my LB too, worked for me.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2019 at 2:01 AM, beefmuffin said:

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2957.JPG

Thanks for this - I went for the same colour on my build because of this thread. Really happy with the vintage yellow look.

IMG_20200524_121342846.jpg

• Like 2