Sign in to follow this  
wkl88

stripping paint

again my Taisan Porsche..a bargain turning out into a mare![:(] I tried to clean dust from the inside of the shell but ended up with the paint peeling off. Turns out the previous owner painted it with ordinary ABS plastic paint!! [:(!]

Whats the best way (if any) of stripping the paint?

quote:Originally posted by wkl88

again my Taisan Porsche..a bargain turning out into a mare![:(] I tried to clean dust from the inside of the shell but ended up with the paint peeling off. Turns out the previous owner painted it with ordinary ABS plastic paint!! [:(!]

Whats the best way (if any) of stripping the paint?

id="quote">id="quote">

I would say you are lucky he used such paint... Try search button with stripping or brake fluid as keyword

Dont use brake fluid on lexan!!! If its normal Tamiya acrylic paint, you can use alcohol, for enamels you could try nail remover without acetone or degreaser fluid, always try first on a small trash piece of lexan...

Try methylated spirits first.

Don't get it on the stickers though.

quote:Try methylated spirits first.
id="quote">id="quote">

Yes, that was what the non-native english speaker meant with alcohol... [;)][:D]

I think it's acrylic paint as it's not chipping but peeling away in strips.

I removed paint on a Boomerang body once, by twisting and bending on it. I also rubbed with my thumb on the paint ,and the paint just got of by it self in small particles, and the body looked totally clear afterwards.

Stian

as grusomkis indicates, twisting and flexing the body might do the trick if the paint is adhering very badly. Lightly hammering often also helps. You can also try removing the paint by taping a high tack tape on the painted surface, and then remove the tape again (at a narrow angle).

er.. Just to share my personal experience, I just stripped a lexan body using brake fluide and this is the result. Again, this is just my personal experience. Not saying it is right or wrong.

shuttle.JPG

This shell was also not painted using lexan paint and is cracking and peeling off the shell. I did not dunk the whole shell into bf. I brush it on, place a piece of paper towel over it and then brush more bf onto the paper tower. Took about a week to get most of the stuff out and then a little rubbing with brasso did the rest.

I have to quantify that this is not a Tamiya shell and I did heard many horry story of what bf did to lexan. So as Theo says, try on some scrape lexan first. But I do like Rizwan's suggestion. [:D]

Rizwan's idea is sound. Ordered direct from The Hobby Co incl bodyparts but alas no decals are available [:(][:(] can anyone help with the decals? Especially the masking seals? [?][?]