Sign in to follow this  
Dojo Dave

Hot rod Hornet!

So in my search for a new project at the end of last year I fou d the need to build a hot rod coup. I like tbe Tamiya street devil but cant justify the $500-$700 nib cost. So a poor mans clasic was sought. I purchased a Parma 1941 Willy`s coup body and then thought what the heck am I going to put it on. Always please with the flexibility of a Tl01chassis I bought one and it arrived, very narrow in comparison to the shell. So just as a curiosity I set the shell on my vintage hornet. It immediately reminded me of one of the old dirt track racers from the 50s and 60s right stance right height. So I have now set about putting a Hornet chassis together to serve as my base. Ive seen a hornet 30`s pick up online for what I think is silly money but I like the fast attack vehicle front tires and I'll use brat Ranger tire and rim on the rear if I don't get silly and buy the alloys I found on ebay. Wish me luck ill post picks as the project matures, any input is welcome.

Dave

• Like 5

I have one of those bodies. Bought it cheap at the local hobby shop, not knowing what to do with it. I found it to be too long for a Frog chassis, but it fit an RC10 pretty well. I just never got around to painting or mounting it.

Now, I keep thinking I should build a "gasser" style chassis for it... I have a spare TLT rear axle doing nothing...

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

• Like 1

I have only tried it for size,but looks to fit not to bad on a Marui thunderbird chassis.

DSC_0163.jpg

Have a NIP willys that I was going to try and fit to a DF03 dark impact chassis,and do it as a kind of mud bog racer with paddle tyres etc,not sure how that's going to pan out though!

• Like 2

Like it - almost reminds me of the old Kyosho nitros with on-road shells mounted over buggy wheels.

With a bit of creativity you can mount road-biased wheels and tyres onto the Hornet chassis to make a real hot rod / drag car.

There was a Grasshopper rat-rod posted here back in 2007 but I can't find any pics of it now. I can only find references to my posts on the subject. I'm pretty sure the person who built it flipped the A-arms to get a lower stance.

Those bodies are really cool. I have one on a custom built dragster

image_zps65e7a07f.jpg

image_zps2cdfea18.jpg

image_zpsb96215f1.jpg

I think a Hornet chassis would work well as the transmissions are bullet proof

• Like 10

image_zps65e7a07f.jpg

image_zps2cdfea18.jpg

image_zpsb96215f1.jpg

Awesome tube chassis and brilliant paint!

image_zpsb96215f1.jpg

What is that rear transmission? Looks indestructible!

I did exactly this in the eighties, I have an old showroom entry under the Hornet section with photos - Sorry I can't load photos at the moment.

Hornet Chassis, Wild One Wheels painted silver and a Parma adjustable front body mount, the Hornet rear mounts fit perfectly on the body where the colours meet at the back.

I did exactly this in the eighties, I have an old showroom entry under the Hornet section with photos - Sorry I can't load photos at the moment.

Hornet Chassis, Wild One Wheels painted silver and a Parma adjustable front body mount, the Hornet rear mounts fit perfectly on the body where the colours meet at the back.

WOW Napier NZ , i came from Taradale . You didn't race in the 80's at the skate ring in Tamatea ?
  • Like 1

Sadly no - I moved to Napier about 15 years ago. I used to race up in Orewa but it was a pretty casual thing - people pretty much just turned up, no club stuff.

Perths a bit of a step from Taradale!