taliesin

380 motor comparison - are they all the same?

Was there ever more than one variety of 380 motor & pinion combination or just one general purpose setup that was used in everything.

Even today there are examples of the 380 being used in the Street Rover & Holiday Buggy, Grasshopper, etc.

So is it the same motor and brass pinion today in the DT-02 as it was back in the day for the first Brat - the one without a differential - or the original Grasshopper? Same pressed on brass pinion gear, same endbell, number of turns, etc.? Were there two suppliers - i.e. Mabuchi and Johnson like with the 540 motors?

Never paid much attention to the lowly 380 before, but now I'm curious. Anyone know the answer?

Well, I know the Grasshopper and the DT-02 ones are interchangeable, but the Boys 4WD ones are not. They use an aluminum pinion that might be a tooth or 2 smaller.

Never seen an original Brat that still had its 380 intact, but I would guess it's the same as the Grasshopper.

I used to race in the 380 class with my brat back in the eighties. It was popular due to cost and battery life. One of the tricks of the day was to use a 380 from a helicopter. I can't remember the make but you did get a noticeable speed difference.

There are many varieties of 380 motor, just as there are many varieties of 540 silver cans, but to the best of my knowledge Tamiya have only used one type in their models over the years. (Albeit with different pinions as pointed out by markbt73.)

I was contemplating putting either a vintage or perhaps a newer kit take-off 380 motor (like from my HB2010) in a vintage Brat to preserve the hard body for some gentle running - rather than relying on my throttle control. Just wasn't sure if there were any differences to think about. Hadn't really ever paid much (as in any at all) attention to 380 motors before.

Good to know. Thanks gentlemen!

I was contemplating putting either a vintage or perhaps a newer kit take-off 380 motor (like from my HB2010) in a vintage Brat to preserve the hard body for some gentle running - rather than relying on my throttle control. Just wasn't sure if there were any differences to think about. Hadn't really ever paid much (as in any at all) attention to 380 motors before.

Good to know. Thanks gentlemen!

A high turn 540 would do the same thing and be cheap and easy.

Look our for the white and black plastic endbells on vintage/original 380 motors used on the early Tamiya models. And not all of the 380 motors had pressed pinions.

380 motors have some advantages compared to the big 540 motors that are now the norm. They are far lighter, and the running times (as mentioned before in this thread), are WAY longer!

Years ago I posted here this fantastic video of this rather heavy all-stock Tamiya Ford F-350 High-Lift pick up truck. It is not mine. Now what's special about it? The owner fitted the humble 380 motor to it and look the performance he's getting. Absolutely fantastic and much better than what most people would think it would be!

As I said before, vintage Mabuchi motors from the 70's and 80's have black or white endbells. Nowadays Tamiya, or Mabuchi actually, is using the matt-silver metal endbell. I don't like the looks of those. AND Tamiya now has a black sport tuned 380 motor to offer. It's cheap and a good purchase all around.

There's also other brands you guys might want to try. Here's a cheap one in example: http://www.rcplanet.com/CC_5000_380_Sized_Mtr_w_Connectr_p/dtxc3315.htm

You all have a fantastic Friday! :)

Not important for the core theme of this thread, but early Brats (and probably Lancias too) came without the pinion attached and the manual(s) directed how to pressfit it.

I should actually get an old manual for the original Brat. I've got the re-re with a manual but I know there are significant differences and just like having the correct manual.

Yeah, it's an odd thing.... :rolleyes:

The 380 that sat in our Boys Racers all had brass pinions. The 380 can comes in many version, just google "mabuchi 380" and check the datasheets. Nominal voltages from 6 to 24 volts.

A major benefit of a 380 motor vs the 540 is that it's half the weight. I bought a couple of Grasshoppers for the kids to bring on our beach vacation a few years back, and they worked very well with full ball racing and 1800mAh 3S LiFe flight packs. The buggies must have been half the weight of a NiMH / 540 powered equivalent :o Light and nimble on the hard packed sand.

GHjump_zps00d3b8b7.png

Very cheap and straight forward fun :P

Yes, I'm beginning to see the appeal actually. I recently bought a lot of Grasshoppers and Hornets and they all were fitted with 380 motors (maybe for a novice or younger group of drivers??). I figured on replacing them with 540s but actually they seem to run forever on a modest battery and are plenty fast enough for the rather poor suspensions. Have to say, I enjoy driving them with the 380 motors and the bodies and tires are still in pristine condition - which is a first for me and Hornets that's for sure. That's the reason I'm considering the same for the vintage Brat. I've got plenty of go-fast runners - a few go-slow runners seem to be what's needed at the moment.

This is very interesting. Might try a 380 in my Re-Re Bruiser. You know, for science (:

• Like 1

My son has a 380 gh, and I have a 540 Hornet, otherwise we use the sane batteries, ball bearings, esc and so on.

The biggest surprise to me, as how similar in performance they are. Even the lowly 380 will easily make pirouettes on a livingroom floor. Its mainly a difference in noticable higher top speed on the 540. Acceleration is not much difference. For bashing they seem similar. The Hornet can barely control the added power anyhow. Just alot of bouncing.