macmeniac

Replacement for 53192 4WD/FWD Upper Arm Set

Can you not find the individual parts from other Hop-Ups ?

Pic in an old Tamiya R/C guidebook shows some screws, adjusters & 4 turnbuckles.

The 3x18mm turnbuckles were common across many of the turnbuckle hop-up kits. I think the same applies for the 3x10 step screws...

53192%20Parts_zpsh1uqurbb.jpg

53192%204WD%20Upper%20Turnbuckle%20Diagr

53192%204WD%20Upper%20Arm%20Turnbuckle%2

• Like 1

I used some 3x18 blue aluminum turnbuckles and the rest of the hardware is easy to find. Cheap way is to get the 3x18 threaded shafts from a tb01 ,I picked them up for under a buck each.

You can also use the 3x12 shafts for the front of the ta01 as they are a touch shorter than the 02

Hi OCD do yo have also the instructuions of the item 53191 4WD/FWD Touring and Rally Car Turnbuckle Tie-Rod Set?

The 3x18mm turnbuckles were common across many of the turnbuckle hop-up kits. I think the same applies for the 3x10 step screws...

53192%20Parts_zpsh1uqurbb.jpg

53192%204WD%20Upper%20Turnbuckle%20Diagr

53192%204WD%20Upper%20Arm%20Turnbuckle%2

• Like 1

This topic is near the top result when Googling for "tamiya 53192" so I thought it would be helpful to list the individual parts you need to make the 53192 4WD/FWD Touring & Rally Car Turnbuckle Upper Arm Set

1 x 54489 Low Friction 5mm Adjuster (Short, 8pcs.)
2 x 50579 3x10mm Step Screw (5 pcs.)
2 x 9805761 3x18mm Turnbuckle Shaft  (2 pcs.)
1 x 9804206 Ball nuts  (4 pcs.)
1 x 50592 5mm Ball Connector (10 pcs.)

You'll need 1x 9805853 3x8mm screws (5 pcs.) instead of the step screws if your car has the FRP damper stays.

ta-02-adj-upper-arms.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As others have said these can easily be built from misc tamiya parts.

the most frustrating part of this hopup is that once it’s done your soft suspension arms flex like mad around the end of the damper. Causing your caster to constantly change over every bump. 

Back in the day there was stabilization kits that attached the top of the hub to the chassis forcing it to follow a strict path and all but eliminating the caster loss during suspension compression. (Actually I think with this set you gained a little caster during compression.)

these days the issue can be remedied with some stiff alloy suspension arms.

Once you’ve installed the adjustable upper arm set, compress the front suspension and watch what the c hub does. 

Juls

On 9.4.2018 at 10:47 PM, Truck Norris said:

This topic is near the top result when Googling for "tamiya 53192" so I thought it would be helpful to list the individual parts you need to make the 53192 4WD/FWD Touring & Rally Car Turnbuckle Upper Arm Set

1 x 54489 Low Friction 5mm Adjuster (Short, 8pcs.)
2 x 50579 3x10mm Step Screw (5 pcs.)
2 x 9805761 3x18mm Turnbuckle Shaft  (2 pcs.)
1 x 9804206 Ball nuts  (4 pcs.)
1 x 50592 5mm Ball Connector (10 pcs.)

You'll need 1x 9805853 3x8mm screws (5 pcs.) instead of the step screws if your car has the FRP damper stays.

ta-02-adj-upper-arms.jpg

Many Thanks Truck Norris

This is a great help for all of us!

How long are the shafts for the 53191 4WD/FWD Touring and Rally Car Turnbuckle Tie-Rod Set ? What about the adjusters?

Debating getting the parts to do this for my new TA03 build, but I'm wondering if it's really worthwhile. Adjustable camber would be nice, but dies it just introduce a bit more floppyness? Also, it's £50 of bits.

@Toad16v Unless you are racing (or at least driving on a proper RC track), adjustable camber is not needed. So, if you actually do plan to visit a track (at least semi-regularly, not just once a year for 2 hours or so), then yes, it's certainly worthwhile, as camber is a major setup option for this kind of driving. However, if you just bash it across a parking lot or in front of your house, I'd use that money for something more useful.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hIghQ said:

@Toad16v Unless you are racing (or at least driving on a proper RC track), adjustable camber is not needed. So, if you actually do plan to visit a track (at least semi-regularly, not just once a year for 2 hours or so), then yes, it's certainly worthwhile, as camber is a major setup option for this kind of driving. However, if you just bash it across a parking lot or in front of your house, I'd use that money for something more useful.

Thank you.

If you want it to look as cool but have fixed length. Just buy a set of Tamiya plastic connectors and a length of 3mm threaded rod. And make them the same length as the stock items. 👍 Done that on my madcap and it looked alot better than the horrible plastic arms. 

James.