Truck Norris

TN's Race and Rally Car Projects

18 minutes ago, Superluminal said:

The impreza looks real! Outstanding work - what type of paint do you use for the matt black finish on the grill surrounds? Is it normal acrylic model paint?

Thanks! It's TS-29 with PS-55 Flat Clear as a primer.

So do you have to mask of the whole of the rest of the shell on the outside before applying the ps-55? How does this work with the decals?

Actually think i just twigged - mask outside, ps 55 then matt black both on the outside first then spray rest as normal before decals

Same as if it was an ABS body - mask off what you don't want black (so usually everything but the grille) then spray PS-55, then the black.

The pic of the 959 below shows it masked for the windscreen trim using the same method.

impreza-2008-grille-painted.jpg

959-masked-for-windscreen-trim-1.jpg

• Like 2

That matt effect totally transforms it!! Thats why it looks so real compared to the decals for the grilles and other details normally in the kit as they are slightly glossy. Going to ty some ps-55 i think as I normally screw up the window rubber decals anyway.

Having just finished the Taisan I thought I'd show how I've improved at doing these 911 GT2s since I've now built five.

Here's my Jägermeister from 2016:

911-gt2-jager-frontside-cage-lines.jpg

Then the Taisan from three years later:

911-gt2-taisan-frontside.jpg

Improvements:

• Cut out and meshed grille and brake vents
• Air jack connector
• Second wiper mount
• Battery isolator switch
• Fire extinguisher switch
• Styrene bonnet pins
• Bonnet washer jets
• Front splitter painted semi-gloss black
• Front splitter rivets
• Bonnet fuel fillers
• Rear view mirror
• Custom printed accurate 993 headlight dispersion optics stickers
• Arch rivets (vinyl dots)
• BBS wheel stickers
• Wheel centre lips painted chrome
• Tyre pit crew fitment writing (F/R R/L notes)
• 3D Porsche bonnet badge
• Spoiler screw holes filled
• Mesh in spoiler vents
• Mirror chrome vinyl for door mirrors
• Thinner 0.5mm Roof aerial
• Styrene exhausts painted matt silver
• Wheel centre lips painted chrome
• Correct gloss and matte black window trims
• Chrome recessed styrene door locks
• Better windscreen wiper (Lancia 037)
• Custom printed driver sponsor logos
• Custom printed accurate 993 dashboard clocks
• Steering wheel Momo logo

Slammed Scorcher (also 2016)

911-gt2-slammed-scorcher-rearside.jpg

Then back to 2019:

911-gt2-taisan-rearside.jpg

• Rear light texture stickers
• Rear light bar reflective backing 
• Black bolts on rear indicators
• Painted GT logos on wing
• Styrene exhausts painted matt silver

The Yokomo exhausts fitted well, but the GT2 doesn't have back boxes so they were never that accurate. The biggest difference here though is not using stickers for the rear lights.

• Like 6

Stunning work - just when the you thought it couldnt get better!!! The kit supplied decals for the lights always look a bit unrealistic but the new ones are perfect. How do you print them textured?

3 hours ago, Superluminal said:

Stunning work - just when the you thought it couldnt get better!!! The kit supplied decals for the lights always look a bit unrealistic but the new ones are perfect. How do you print them textured?

Thank you!

The headlight stickers white printed on clear, I designed these and had them painted. The rears are made with textured stickers from a company called Wrap-up Next. They come as a complete sheet so I cut the relevant colour sections to size - orange, red and clear.

Beautiful work, just amazing. The killer stance is spot on too. Looking forward to No 6 😉

if it’s OK with you I’d like to borrow your 1:1 to 1:10 shrink ray machine and use it on my VW T5 Transporter van and fit it on a CW-01 chassis 😁

By way of comparison, here's my Focus WRC 2004 that I completed the other week:

focus-wrc-2004-frontside.jpg

Here's an example of the original box art shot with the same camera and background setup:

focus-03-standard-1.jpg

(Incidentally, I bought this whole car just for the rear wing when I couldn't find one on its own anywhere. I've since located a couple)

focus-03-standard-2.jpg

focus-wrc-2004-side.jpg

• Like 5

Can't say that the original body looks to bad, even compared to your version I still like it. The major difference is that your 1/10 lexan body looks like an expensive die cast model, almost like the real car. Really cool. B)

This is something I've not done before - in 2016 I built this Impreza 2007 which was the first really detailed car I did: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=128323&id=43050

img43050_09022016075601_1.jpg

Today I've just finished a project to update it to my current standards: https://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?id=43050&cid=134844&t=29202072110#

img43050_29202071517_1.jpg

At the time I was happy with how it looked, but as got better I started to dislike it, but I'm very happy with what I've been able to do, update wise. I think the wheels alone make a massive difference.

Will be interesting to see what a version built in 2024 will look like!

• Like 6

@Truck Norris, love your work.  You pretty much set the standard for detailed on-road builds and Tamiya-like photography.  Do you, or anyone you build for, ever run these finished models?  I have to imagine there is so much risk in damaging mirrors, antennas, grills, all those smaller parts.  Don't get me wrong; you've found your niche and are a master at it.  These are little works of art.

Thank you! I don't run them and doubt anyone I've built them for does either. Like you say they're a bit too fragile for that. It's important that they are functional RC cars though, I view it as cheating if they're on a dummy chassis or have no room for electrics. The Impreza above has full LEDs with the TLU-01 and TLU-02 controller. It's a tight fit!

Another car I've built again after a four year gap is this shape Impreza. Both are based on the 1997 car, the first I modified into the 1998 version, changing the wheels, graphics and a few other bits (intercooler setup etc).

1998 Version

impreza-wrc-1998-frontside.jpg

1997 Version

impreza-wrc-1997-frontside.jpg

Improvements:

• Smoothed and filled rear wing screw mounts
• Rear view mirror
• More realistic looking headlights with frosting and dispersion optics texture
• Spotlight cover screw heads
• Indicators now painted clear orange with texture and reflectors rather than just stickers
• Styrene bonnet pins
• Tyre writing
• Thinner antennas
• Repainted brake callipers with AP logos
• More realistic looking Tamiya brake discs
• Shorter suspension arms and wheel spacers for less axle protrusion
• More accurate electric cutoff and fire extinguisher switches

impreza-wrc-1998-rearside.jpg

impreza-wrc-1997-rearside.jpg

From the rear the most obvious difference is the wing screw mounts. Took a lot of sanding and filling but I think it's worth it!

• More accurate exhaust
• Boot spring catches (not 100% accurate but missing completely from the '98 car)
• Rear lights painted with translucent paint, textured and frosted
• Door mirror surface now chrome rather than glossy sliver (not clear in the pic sorry)
• Side repeaters now with texture and reflectors rather than just stickers

I have the '99 body to build at some stage, but I want to give it a while so there's enough of a difference as there is between these two. 

• Like 5

I'd been wanting to make a video of one of my cars for a while and I finally got round to it just before Christmas. This is my first attempt:

• Like 3

WOW, @Truck Norris that focus RS WRC is simply awesome, stunning, and jaw droppingly gorgeous! :wub:

The details like the antennas make such a difference but the whole car is so convincing.

I'm now regretting selling my old Focus rally car.....:(