bunchlox

HELP with ABS glue... please.

I'm trying to fill a hole in the bonnet of a FAV. I've done loads of repairs on Tamiya hard bodies before, but i now realise that the FAV bonnet is the same material as the chassis (which i think is ABS). Also, i think the driver figure is too, so i'll need some appropriate glue for that as well...

Firstly, I'm trying to glue a plate to the back of the hole on the bonnet. I've sanded the back and the plate but the glues I've tried won't stick it. Maybe i'm expecting too strong a bond, but i don't want it falling off once I've painted it.

I've tried Plasticweld (i realise that's more for styrene bodies etc), and I've just bought some Unibond ABS (and other plastics) epoxy glue and that's not held either.

Ideally i'd like a glue/method of melting the two pieces together, so before i get me soldering iron out, are there any secrets i can be privvy to?

Thanks for any help.

I've done similar on a Blackfoot body - is that ABS?

Anyways, I used CA glue but an 'oversized' section of styrene plate to ensure I got good contact, since CA is very thin. I'm guessing you're covering up the hole where the mounted machine gun should be?

Could you just put a nut and bolt in the hole and then proceed to fill it? It's quite a deep hole and it's got a shape to it as well, it may not even need a backing plate...

I've done similar on a Blackfoot body - is that ABS?

Anyways, I used CA glue but an 'oversized' section of styrene plate to ensure I got good contact, since CA is very thin. I'm guessing you're covering up the hole where the mounted machine gun should be?

Could you just put a nut and bolt in the hole and then proceed to fill it? It's quite a deep hole and it's got a shape to it as well, it may not even need a backing plate...

It did have a shape to the back but i've cut that off to get the plate to stick. Also, i tried your method first, but as the hole was too deep the filler just started to sink and melt the plastic anyway, so that's why i cut the back off. I'm now left with a 8mm diameter hole to fill, but it's now only the thickness of the bonnet. So, once i've found a glue suitable for the plate on the back, filling it will be easy... i hope.

I've used TANGIT to fix ABS/ABS and ABS/forex (and, of course PVC/PVC)

collate-per-PVC-tangit.jpg

I had a similar problem gluing the rear window panel into a BF3 ABS body, I ended up using an epoxy glue called Super Steel I had from my motor bike days.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/291497582901

Mix equal amounts together and it ends up a useful dark metallic gun metal that sticks to virtually anything and doesn't shift once it's cures. I used it to fix a loose mirror on my courier bike, got knocked off the following day and even though the bike landed on the mirror it didn't move at all! Good stuff. That BF3 panel never did come out again 😜 I now use it for Tamiya chassis repairs.

Hi what plastruct did you use this one is way stronger than the white labeled bottle. also you ever use goop glue that stuff when dry holds most everything together!

Sets in minutes

Used for bonding Plastruct ABS, Styrene, Butyrate or Acrylic to

each other, or in combination.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PLS00002-Plastiweld-ONE-BOTTLE-Aircraft-RC-Hobbies-/400889365177?hash=item5d56de42b9:g:F2kAAOSwrklVDdOe

One of the tricks you use in bonding ABS parts that you make on a 3d printer is to melt some filament in acetone and use the paste as a glue. Essentially you are melting the two parts together but chemically instead of with heat.

The paste also works pretty good to fill in gaps. To fill something like a body hole I tape some aluminum foil on the back side and fill it in with the stuff and wait for it to dry.