bjorklo

Astute Gator

AstuteGatorLogo_zpsobcqhg02.png

After seeing Beefmuffin's conversion of the DT-02 to a replica Astute, i just knew that i wanted one like that.

This is the real deal where the inspiration comes from.

getuserimage_zps2graqbhb.jpg

in 2012 I sold my Desert Gator thinking that I will never need it, yeay right, i started to regret that a few weeks ago. I was searching the web for a new or used one, but shipping and possible customs tax it was going to be a bit expensive for me. Then I thought why don't I just search my inbox and find the guy I sold it to and ask if he still have it, and if he is willing to sell it. He did have it and he was willing to sell it to me for a good price.

Here is a picture from when I had it

Screenshot_2016-02-16-23-26-06_zpses6mad

And here is a picture of how it looks now

IMG_0011_zpskjjywjn8.jpg

The one thing I knew I had allready for the conversion was the Astute light weight front wheels, but I don't have tires. For rear I found a set of old Egress wheels and new tires. To find these I had to go trough my huge wheels and tires box, and of course i found them at the bottom :)

DSC_5684_zpsfcgeeli4.jpg

DSC_5685_zpsbkmyq2zm.jpg

The car is equiped with an old acoms reciver, V3 esc and Kyosho Mega 18x2

Screenshot_2016-02-16-23-29-39_zpsmfxikj

Screenshot_2016-02-16-23-30-05_zpsvqgbkn

I must say that I'm very impressed with the speed in that motor, and will be keeping it. I might change the reciver and controller to a 2.4GHZ.

I have made some orders for most of the parts i need for this project so just waiting for it to arrive :)

• Like 8

After seeing Beefmuffin's conversion of the DT-02 to a replica Astute, i just knew that i wanted one like that.

DSC_5685_zpsbkmyq2zm.jpg

I love the graphic!! LOL And I must say, if your big box o' wheels coughed up the above (!) that is impressive, especially the 2wd fronts. Can't wait to see how it comes together. :D

• Like 1

I love the graphic!! LOL And I must say, if your big box o' wheels coughed up the above (!) that is impressive, especially the 2wd fronts. Can't wait to see how it comes together. :D

Thanks beefmuffin :). Yeah i knew that i bought a set of the front wheels several years ago so it was just a question of finding it. The Egress stuff i have quite a bit of from my previous builds.

I can help with fronts if you need , ive got a few sets nip lol

Really, wow.. Pm sent.

I repeat, I love that graphic - well done.

Hehe, cool, quite pleased myself too. Thanks again, and glad you liked it :)
  • Like 1

Great idea by beef to start with and I can't wait to see how yours turns out :) . We need loads of piccys!

Oh and I wish I had a wheel and tyre box like yours.

• Like 2

Great idea by beef to start with and I can't wait to see how yours turns out :) . We need loads of piccys!

Oh and I wish I had a wheel and tyre box like yours.

I will take many pictures, as usual on my builds :-), when i get some progress, so don't worry about that. :)

I believe beefmuffin got his inspiration from bwilton84 here on the forum. But i got it from beefmuffin, since i haven't noticed bwilton84 build, atleast not that i can remember.

The wheels and tires box have been filled slowly during the years, and not throwing to much away and getting new stuff, i have often thought i should sell some of it, but you never know maybe one day you need it :)

• Like 2

I believe beefmuffin got his inspiration from bwilton84 here on the forum. But i got it from beefmuffin, since i haven't noticed bwilton84 build, atleast not that i can remember.

Yep - Brucey did it first! I stepped it up a bit using the correct wheels, wing and yellow shocks. It'd be so cool if a bunch of people all did the same thing or variations on it. An unofficial but well-defined DT-02 boxart variant!

Here's the link to Bruce's version (courtesy of Crash Cramer): http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=117861&sid=34267

25034674341_78212ed066_b.jpg

• Like 2

Yep - Brucey did it first! I stepped it up a bit using the correct wheels, wing and yellow shocks. It'd be so cool if a bunch of people all did the same thing or variations on it. An unofficial but well-defined DT-02 boxart variant!

Here's the link to Bruce's version (courtesy of Crash Cramer): http://www.tamiyaclub.com/showroom_model.asp?cid=117861&sid=34267

Nice one that to, but what you did with your beefmuffin, for sure gives it the extra it needs to be easy to mistake for the real thing. I will be copying you on that :)

By the way, i see that i have made a comment on wiltons car so i must have knew about it? Hehe

• Like 1

Update! I forgot to mention that i also will be reading Effigy3 thread for inspiration for re-building the chassis. That said, the first goal is to get it to look like a astute so i can start using it, then i will do some upgrades over time. http://www.tamiyaclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76232

There really is nothing new under the sun. I got my inspiration from Nobbi1977 and this RCRacer article. It's really interesting to see how we all feed off each others ideas and innovate on them as we do our own builds. I'm looking forward to seeing your take on it!

• Like 2

Definitely the best version of a DT-02 I have ever seen, and Beefs version certainly makes you look twice! Well done guys!

I am still suprised that the astute hasn't been rereleased though, especially after being only one of the coffee cars not brought back, I thought it was a sure thing!

• Like 2

There really is nothing new under the sun. I got my inspiration from Nobbi1977 and this RCRacer article. It's really interesting to see how we all feed off each others ideas and innovate on them as we do our own builds. I'm looking forward to seeing your take on it!

Oh, that was a very good article. I must agree with you, we'll see if I'm able to do another twist on my build, not sure what that could be?

Definitely the best version of a DT-02 I have ever seen, and Beefs version certainly makes you look twice! Well done guys!

I am still suprised that the astute hasn't been rereleased though, especially after being only one of the coffee cars not brought back, I thought it was a sure thing!

We can still hope, that it will be re released on day.

• Like 2

Ok, so this will be a runner (I have lost count of how many times I have said that and the car has ended up on the shelf), but i don't like building with dirty parts so I took the car apart and did some washing.

DSC_5686_zpsz7blnayk.jpg

DSC_5690_zpsixvn09wd.jpg

DSC_5691_zpsuhnqpzw9.jpg

Parts finished washed, now i just have to wait for all the parts I have bought.

• Like 2

:ph34r: *** DING DING DING BEEFSENSE ALERT! *** :ph34r:

Anyone who needs / wants a pair of original front Astute (2wd black lightweight) wheels 3 sets of NIB originals just got listed on the bay for US $20 each: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tamiya-53046-Grasshopper-2WD-Front-Lightweight-Wheel-set-/391390282735

Am tempted to get a pair myself just to hoard! But that would be counterproductive, LOL... :lol:

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

:ph34r: *** DING DING DING BEEFSENSE ALERT! *** :ph34r:

Anyone who needs / wants a pair of original front Astute (2wd black lightweight) wheels 3 sets of NIB originals just got listed on the bay for US $20 each: http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Tamiya-53046-Grasshopper-2WD-Front-Lightweight-Wheel-set-/391390282735

Am tempted to get a pair myself just to hoard! But that would be counterproductive, LOL... :lol:

s-l1600.jpg

Wow, i would really like a set, since i opened the one i had, but shipping cost is killing this one for me $29. Can't understand that it would cost that much to ship something that light? Because of the high shipping cost i have to pay additional $15 in customs tax.
  • Like 1

Wow, i would really like a set, since i opened the one i had, but shipping cost is killing this one for me $29. Can't understand that it would cost that much to ship something that light? Because of the high shipping cost i have to pay additional $15 in customs tax.

Yeah shipping to me is $3... so, I may go grab a set (that I definitely have no currently known or expected use for beyond compulsive parts aggregation) in a day or two if any are left. Gives u fellas time to get them if u need them before I just get them out of habit!

• Like 2

Today the postman have been here with some parts for the build.

I'm not sure if these dampers will do, but if they are to short I'm sure I got some parts I could use to make the longer. Astute/Egress rear wing

DSC_5698_zpsfh2fdgrv.jpg

I found these in my DF-01 box, so I will be using them insted of the plastic one's

DSC_5696_zpsedba8bms.jpg

I also found these alu knuckels, I think they could work, but I'm not sure if I will be using em.

DSC_5697_zps47h2hh43.jpg

• Like 2

I wanted to try getting a carbon fiber front damper tower, to do so I had to do some modifications to the old one. It's not that pretty, but it will do. Not sure how strong this will be, but I will find out pretty fast after I take it for a spinn.

DSC_5689_zpsyaswvtif.jpg

DSC_5692_zpsgod5pgnd.jpg

DSC_5688_zps90emqtvt.jpg

DSC_5696_zpss2k1vr5j.jpg

I must really get my self a CNC machine soon, so i can make better Carbon Fiber parts.

DSC_5699_zpsaw0lexjs.jpg

I bought some CRP tires to use while running, I think they will do just fine for that.

DSC_5694_zpss8xnpjkz.jpg

DSC_5695_zpsxsf03oq4.jpg

Since I'm still wating for parts, next thing will be to assamble the dampers and cut the rear wing.

• Like 3

Had a look at the batterylid and started to wonder if it could be replaced with some carbon fiber? Let's give it a try :)

DSC_5712_zps8nr6ruf0.jpg

The actual work in cutting it i will do tomorrow, i think.

• Like 1

Made the new battery strap, using the end of the old to get it mounted.
DSC_5712_zpswheasvzr.jpg

It looks ok, will do some final adjustments to it, before i say that it's ok.

DSC_5714_zpsiwiqlf5t.jpg

• Like 2

I will take many pictures, as usual on my builds :-), when i get some progress, so don't worry about that. :)

The wheels and tires box have been filled slowly during the years, and not throwing to much away and getting new stuff, i have often thought i should sell some of it, but you never know maybe one day you need it :)

I HEAR YA on that don't throw it away box, I have done the same for so long that I am now HAVING to throw busted stuff out as it is just not feasable to keep it any longer. Recently looking into a Fox parts box I was missing some of the crucial hardware to mount my sway bar, I found those bits mixed into a servo trays bag that nearly could have been tossed or recycled ages ago, thank goodness I didn't do it.

Did I DO THAT???????? B)

You and me both, but if they rerelease the Astute, I will want a MadCap again.

It is a shame, but I can say that shipping will have to START at around $8 in a bubble envelope as it is "semi rigid and over 1/4 inch in thickness" per the USPS questions. Shipping is adding up too quickly these days.

I wanted to try getting a carbon fiber front damper tower, to do so I had to do some modifications to the old one. It's not that pretty, but it will do. Not sure how strong this will be, but I will find out pretty fast after I take it for a spinn.

DSC_5689_zpsyaswvtif.jpg

DSC_5692_zpsgod5pgnd.jpg

DSC_5688_zps90emqtvt.jpg

DSC_5696_zpss2k1vr5j.jpg

I must really get my self a CNC machine soon, so i can make better Carbon Fiber parts.

DSC_5699_zpsaw0lexjs.jpg

I bought some CRP tires to use while running, I think they will do just fine for that.

DSC_5694_zpss8xnpjkz.jpg

DSC_5695_zpsxsf03oq4.jpg

Since I'm still wating for parts, next thing will be to assamble the dampers and cut the rear wing.

Have to get a CNC machine to make cleaner CF parts!!! WOW, I would love some sloppy CF parts, want to make some TA02 parts for me??? :P I do have a question on those old CRP tires, do you find the fronts "swim" on the rims as they are marked 2"(inch), but I thought the Astute series of wheels were 1.9" and thus that is why the tires are so dang hard to find in a fit.

• Like 2

Crash, good thing that you didn't throw those fox parts away. I do have a box with mixed parts threes, but right now i'm not sure what they are, i guess i should go through them and write it down, so i don't buy stuff i already have :-)

But i would guess it should be possible to get cheaper shipping, "shipping included" :-D the good thing is that most of the time it's cheaper shipping from abroad than sending stuff from Norway, because that is quite expensive. Buying some stuff from Banzai for this build and paying under $3 for small SAL package that i like :)

When you mention it i did noticed something about the tires, that said i think it will be just fine running em. Will remember to make a note about them once i have done a run.

Send me a pm about the ta02 parts, it depends which parts you Are thinking about.

• Like 1

i made the rear damper tower in carbon fiber, had to Do som cutting on the old one, but pretty easy. Again i'm not sure how strong this will be, but i will find out pretty fast i think, once taken for a spinn.

DSC_571601_zps9ymhtpsy.jpg

DSC_5718_zpsgbiarthz.jpg

All done, (except the fine adjustment)
DSC_5720_zpsvcm0ul5n.jpg

I also saw someone here on the forum that had cut away some of the gearbox to make better cooling for the motor, so i decided to give it a go.

DSC_571701_zpsrzowbkjx.jpg

So the cut dont look that nice, so i will try to fit a alu cooling on the motor.
DSC_5719_zpsfyakm57f.jpg

DSC_5721_zpshxfzqgaj.jpg

• Like 1

Not to much going on but got the front tires from fellow TC member chickenman242tk (thanks for selling these to me:) ), so i just had to try them on.
DSC_571801_zpswe0uh6fk.jpg

I must admit, the originals look so much better than the one's from CRP.
DSC_571901_zpsulj6ussw.jpg

• Like 3